• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee ski resort expansion plan may die

Should the Sunapee expansion be allowed?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Fosters.com said:
NEWBURY, N.H. (AP) — The outcome of the governor’s race has given hope to opponents of the Mount Sunapee ski resort expansion.

Gov.-elect John Lynch is on record as opposing plans to change the lease between the state and the private company that runs the ski resort.

"We’re cautiously optimistic that this will mean that the expansion is off the table as long as John is governor," said Tom Elliott, executive director of the Friends of Mount Sunapee, which has been fighting the expansion.

Tim and Diane Mueller, owners of Okemo Mountain in Vermont and Crested Butte in Colorado, have leased the ski area in Mount Sunapee State Park from the state since 1998. They want to expand the lease by 175 acres.

The land would be used for new trails and a new chairlift to connect to property they own in Goshen, where they want to build up to 250 condominiums. The development would allow visitors to ski directly between the condos and the resort.

In August, Lynch said there is no compelling reason to approve the expansion.

"We must protect our state parks for the benefit of all New Hampshire citizens," he said.

But resort general manager Jay Gamble said he believes Lynch’s background as a businessman means he can be convinced of the value of the plan.

"I hope once (Lynch is) presented with all the details of our plan and is able to assess that plan, he’ll recognize the need for Mount Sunapee to remain competitive and meet our customers’ needs as well as to be an economic partner with the state and our local community," Gamble said.

The issue of the expansion is currently before Sean O’Kane, the new head of the state Department of Resource and Economic Development.

After several lengthy and contentious public hearings this fall, O’Kane is charged with making a recommendation to the Executive Council.

O’Kane has said that recommendation won’t be ready before the end of November or beginning of December.

Conceivably, a recommendation to expand could be hastily approved by the Executive Council before Benson leaves office.

Sen. Bob Odell, who represents the area, said he believes that’s unlikely.

More likely, the issue would come before the next council in January, with Lynch having the power to overturn the vote if councilors approve the lease expansion.

Lynch has offered to work with the Muellers to improve ski operations within the confines of the current lease.

But Elliott said he won’t rest secure until he knows the west side of Mount Sunapee is permanently protected from development.

"If and when Tim and Diane decide to go in a new direction, we hope to be as helpful as possible," Elliott said. "... I think it’s time to put down the swords and work together to protect Mount Sunapee."

http://www4.fosters.com/november_2004/11.04.04/news/ap_nh1104c.asp

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tough issue for me :-?

"Yes:" Good for local economy and making the resort sustainable. I'm a skier, so why say no?

"No:" Locals don't want it, NH state owns the park, what happens if the lease ends? What then? Environmental damage, etc.

I hate to be :-? on this, but I have not seen the specs.

Jim

i really don't know much about this. as a skier i'd say hell yeah, why not more terrain. but if i was a local i could see why they wouldn't want more development. so i guess my verdict would be, not yet.

Talisman

I say no. There are plenty of slope side condo in New England, but few ski areas without base area development. Sunapee is a state park and should preserve what is left for the present and future. You can always develop land, I have never seen condos torn down and trees replanted.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
thetrailboss said:
"Yes:" Good for local economy and making the resort sustainable. I'm a skier, so why say no?

"No:" Locals don't want it, NH state owns the park, what happens if the lease ends? What then? Environmental damage, etc.
if the locals don't want it, and it's their economy we're talking about, so being against it hurts the local economy, there must be some strong opposition that merits serious concern. local control is a beautiful thing. obviously the state wanted this because it would mean more tax revenue, but clearly the locals could care less about revenue when it's their backyard being torn up. glad to hear the new gov is opposed, i think state owned areas should remain development free. there are so few areas like sunapee, cannon, wildcat, etc. and they fill a very much needed gap in the skiing experience in new england that would be seriously altered with such development.

Vortex

Greg anyway to paste the topic and linc on this you already started? I used it to send an e-mail to the state about it and they responded. Tough topic
I believe expansion and change always will happen, just control it. Our economy needs developement. I was pro expansion and my e-mail did mention my bias being a skiier .