• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Edge/Base Bevel?????

prophet0426

I'm am trying to figure out what I should use for a base/edge bevel this year. In the past I have used a 0degree base and a 1 degree edge. This has treated me well since most of my time in spent in the trees and I like my ski to respond quickly. I am thinking of stiking with this as it's treated me well, but figured I would get some suggestions/comments.

snowmonster

I usually put a 1 degree base bevel to make the ski a bit loose underfoot while I keep the side a little more acute for better edge hold on hardpack or ice. I usually have a 2 degree side bevel so that gives me an 89 degree angle on my edges. I haven't gone beyond a 2 degree bevel on my side edges. Maybe this year when it gets icy, I'll experiment with a 2.5 or 3 degree side bevel but I think that may be too much.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I usually put a 1 degree base bevel to make the ski a bit loose underfoot while I keep the side a little more acute for better edge hold on hardpack or ice. I usually have a 2 degree side bevel so that gives me an 89 degree angle on my edges. I haven't gone beyond a 2 degree bevel on my side edges. Maybe this year when it gets icy, I'll experiment with a 2.5 or 3 degree side bevel but I think that may be too much.

Pretty much the same for me, with the exception of my Atomics, Atomics get a 3 degree side bevel as per Atomic specs.

skidon

It's hard to produce a perfect 0-degree base bevel along with a flat base. Most skis come off the stone grinder with a slightly recessed edge, and any amount of flat-filing will bring that edge down even farther. I'd suspect that your "0" base bevel is actually a .5 or so. This may not apply to you, but the racers I tune for typically run a .5 base and 2 or 3 side for slalom, and 1 base and 2 or 3 side for GS, with little or no detuning. Whatever base angle you like is fine, just remember the deeper the side bevel, the more aggressively the ski will edge BUT it will lose its sharpness faster. Medway? New York?

tree_skier

I use a 1 3 setup but for the average rec skier would recomend a 1 base 2 side. The closer to a 90 degree edge the longer the edge stays sharp. The bigger the difference the more bite the edge has. FIS level skiers use a 1/2 base 3 side for SL and GS but that tends to be too much for J3 and below and master racers.