• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help me choose a hike

ajl50

So heading up to the dacks this weekend. If there was no snow this week the plan was to do Giant. Now there is a little snow. We don't have snowshoes or crampons (don't really want to rent them either but would consider it) and so have some scepticism about doing giant. (Do have stablicers though). Any advice?

Other hikes we are considering in lieu
Phelps
Hurricane
McKenzie
Ampersand

Any advice would be appreciated!

Mike P.

Giant has some steeps & open slabs were a slip due to overmatching the stabliciers could get ugly.

From personal experience Phelps & Hurricane would be okay. The RT for Phelps is 8.8 & snow will be found higher up so this trip needs more time. First couple of miles easy but with short days I'd want to be on the trail before 9:00 for this one.

Hurricane shorter trip

Both offer good views so bring warm clothes so you can stay up top & enjoy. ADK's are tough on snow levels & requiring snowshoes so check for that info by calling ADK.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Just want to chime in that upper elevations do have plenty of ice in the exposed areas. You will likely need those stabilicers higher up. The problem is that there's ice, but it's thin. Crampons might not even help.

The issue with Giant (Zander Scott Trail) will be ledges like this one. They could be like glass, or they could be bone dry from a week of bright sunlight.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
On Giant and RPR on Tuesday, a hiker encountered "progressive snow cover above 3800 feet" in the 3 to 4 inch deep range with some drifting. He used Stabilicers successfully, but more snow is said to have fallen on Wednesday.

ajl50

This is some good info...
To be honest the little patches of ice are what concerned me. I know that 3-6 inches of snow with a freeze and thaw cycle could - on a open slab- turn into the trail into a skating rink.
- MJ where did you get the beta about a hiker and the snow? Is that from an ADK website?

- Andy at 3.3. miles rt and 3000 feet of climbing giant is plenty of trip for a short november day.

With the advice here I'm going to consider phelps in more detail...doesn't seem like it has too many areas prone to icing.
The snow I could care less about- i have gaiters and great boots so as long as I'm not sinking up past my calfs on every step i'm ok.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Yes, the beta came from ADK High Peaks, where I'm also a member. I just happened to see it after reading the post here and given its relevance made the quote.

ajl50

THAT IS AWESOME...what a great hike...can we delete this post?

adamti91

Phelps has a great view, can't really remember the hike since it was awhile ago. Trail head is near Heart Lake if I recall. Hurricane also has a great view, it's an easier hike (not a high peak), and has a great view of Champlain. Either one is a nice hike, can't say much about the other two though.

ajl50

I think phelps is the trip...looks nicely protected so as to diminish the icing.
Also going to hit up mckenzie the next day-

ajl50

Phelps was awesome today. Good god. What an amazing day to be out in the high peaks.

Mike P.

Glad we could help. Would love to see pictures if you have any!