• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any other Crotched Midnight Madness Passholders?

Mark_151

I had so much fun the last two seasons at Wachusett during their 24 hour ski athons that I decided to spring for the Midnight Madness pass at Crotched ($100), as I'm an early bird, and it's only a 40 mile drive. I'm just wondering if there's other folks that are planning on skiing from 9PM - 3AM this season? It would be great to meet some folks and do some skiing.

Last edited:

JasonE

Website
www.kittiesforacure.com
I love Midnight Madness - skied it about 7 times last year. I had actually planned to buy a pass this year, but decided against it when the Extreme Midnight Madness pass (which was good from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. instead of just 9 to 3, and only cost $20 more) wasn't offered this year.

Honestly, we just can't make it until 3 a.m. We usually leave around midnight or 12:30 (given we have an hour and 15 minute drive home. But it's really not worth spending 3 hours on the road to just ski from 9 p.m. to midnight! I would have bought the Extreme MM pass, but because they're not offering it this year we'll just pay when we go.

Jason

Mark_151

Cool! When the MM Pass kicks in at the end of December, I'll post something in this thread again. I definitely will ski from 11PM to 3AM!

Zand

I'd do it if I didn't have the 2 hour drive to Crotched. I wish Wachusett would do something similar... place is freaking packed during the 24 hours of skiing so I don't see why they don't stay open late on Fridays and Saturdays.

Mark_151

I've emailed the management asking for it. I think they'd make a killing on it. I even mentioned to them that Wachusett is the only place you can stand in a 10 minute lift line at 3 in the morning. Maybe if enough people write them to suggest it they'll give it a try. It would be the timeframe I'd be using my pass there.

tcharron

I had so much time the last two seasons at Wachusett during their 24 hour ski athons that I decided to spring for the Midnight Madness pass at Crotched ($100), as I'm an early bird, and it's only a 40 mile drive. I'm just wondering if there's other folks that are planning on skiing from 9PM - 3AM this season? It would be great to meet some folks and do some skiing.

Usually there at Midnight Madness for at leats one of the nights each week. There with the kids tho, so don't always stay until 3am.

Mark_151

Thought it was time to bump this thread -- Midnight Madness begins the weekend of the 28th! Anyone want to hit it on the 29th?

Shroud

How crowded is Crotched at night on the weekends? Their being open till 3AM certainly makes it an attractive idea to get up there this year.

JasonE

Website
www.kittiesforacure.com
I love Midnight Madness. I can't get up there next weekend, but the next weekend I'll definitely be there.

The thing I most love about MM is that after about 10 o'clock, 80% of the people on the mountain are snowboarders, most of whom stick to the parks, so the slopes are totally not crowded, there's no waiting in line at any of the lifts (except the park lifts), and, well.. it's just a lot of fun!

Angus

I'm one of the biggest boosters of crotched here on the boards - along with tcharron and OldsnowboarderME; Crotched is by far the best ski value - price, terrain, conditions, lifts - available. There are never lines & the snow is always good. Fact is that francestown/bennington is a hassle to get to/from especially at 2AM in the morning. I did the midnight madness, a couple of years ago as prep for the wildcat 100K challenge, it was alot of fun. about 1AM, it started snowing this incredible light powder, which was magical to ski through under the lights - make sure you can sleep in the next morning though! Might be there tomorrow evening btw:

Angus

You know I think we met a year or two ago on a lift at Crotched. We talked about snowboarding - I was taking a relatively dim view of the sport versus skiing. You, on the other hand, were very enthusiastic! You are a former skier who converted 5-10 years ago, right?

Mark_151

I'm one of the biggest boosters of crotched here on the boards - along with tcharron and OldsnowboarderME; Crotched is by far the best ski value - price, terrain, conditions, lifts - available. There are never lines & the snow is always good. Fact is that francestown/bennington is a hassle to get to/from especially at 2AM in the morning. I did the midnight madness, a couple of years ago as prep for the wildcat 100K challenge, it was alot of fun. about 1AM, it started snowing this incredible light powder, which was magical to ski through under the lights - make sure you can sleep in the next morning though! Might be there tomorrow evening btw:

It's not that bad of a ride from where I am -- almost all 50+ MPH secondary roads up there. I get up every morning at 2AM to go to work, so this pass is perfect for me in that respect too. I'll probably be hitting it for midnight on the 29th if I continue to mend as I am.

tcharron

It's not that bad of a ride from where I am -- almost all 50+ MPH secondary roads up there. I get up every morning at 2AM to go to work, so this pass is perfect for me in that respect too. I'll probably be hitting it for midnight on the 29th if I continue to mend as I am.

You cut up 31 or 13?

Mark_151

I'm up by Whalom, so I take 13 to W. Townsend Road, to 124, follow that through New Ipswitch, take 123 to 119, pass over that and follow Old State Road to 202 and then to Crotched. Sometimes on the way home I'll follow 31 South into Wilton and follow it back into Mass.

tcharron

I'm up by Whalom, so I take 13 to W. Townsend Road, to 124, follow that through New Ipswitch, take 123 to 119, pass over that and follow Old State Road to 202 and then to Crotched. Sometimes on the way home I'll follow 31 South into Wilton and follow it back into Mass.

Huh. I used to live down in that area in High School. You could always try just taking Rt 13 all the way up to the old Francestown Turnpike and over. Not too bad of a ride either way.

tcharron

I'll make sure to go to Crotched after work on Thursday night and provide a trip report before next weeks first Midnight Madness.