• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How Many NH 4000 Footers Have You Bagged?

How Many NH 4000 Footers Have You Bagged?

• Total voters

MtnMagic

Agreed. Nothing like the feeling of being on a new trail heading up a summit that is novel.

ChileMass

SilentCal said:
I did finish last year and it was a great relief. I never did send in the form for the patch though. Granted I know I will eventually do them again but I'd rather not have the numbers game thrown into it. Redlining is far more interesting.

Hey Cal (or anybody else) - can you define "redlining" for us newbies - ?? Thanks - Chill

:)

MtnMagic

On most topography maps hiking trails are in red ink. Hence hiking many/all the different trails to a summit is referred to redlining.
:D

SilentCal

Basically hiking all the trails that you see on a map. People sometimes use a high-lighter to shade in the trails they have done. I guess that's how it got it's name. Redlining the Northern Presidentals is going to take some time......

Jaytrek57

SilentCal-

I agree with you on redlining...for me far more interesting/challenging. This past Sunday…I redlined the entire Blue Hills (map). For me it meant more than the 48…even winter. Almost done with Map #2 (Franconia-Pemi AMC map). Anticipate another 4 years….hey something to do. There are other maps as well. My advice when undertaking redlining….buy two maps.

As a kid I was lucky (cursed?) to have relatives that were into lists….esp. the 48…so I was fortunate enough to tag along and get those very early in life. The winter would come in my early 20’s. Patches….and recognition as such…never applied for such but by my math perhaps when I am 74 (37 now) I would enjoy a 48X48 patch.

My $.02 on lists. Love them!!! My wife and I are pursuing spending at least one night in every NP in the US. A lifetime pursuit, no doubt, that has…we both believe, strengthen are relationship.

If you are pursuing the 48…or any list, I offer this. Don’t let it affect those last minute hikes, plans with new friends or taking newbies out. I have witness people turn down some “adventures” b/c it did not coincide with their “quest”. To me at least…it goes against everything I know about the outdoors….learning and having fun!

Did not mean to rant.

Peace

sp1936

At the time this thread was started, I had 3: Lafayette, Lincoln, and Washington. Last fall, I decided to do the list. I'm not sure why, just a game to play, I guess. At that time, I had 13. Now I have 30. I'll soon have 41 if Peak Week (9/3-9/11) goes as planned.

I've been to some places that I'll return to many times. I've also been to a couple that I probably don't need to see more than once. It's been fun, but I'd kind of like to get it over and done with as soon as possible.

Steve

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

At the time this thread started, I had 0. I now have 37, 32 of them this year. :D

Edit as of Sept. 1st I have 45 this year, finishing up on Sept. 4th on Liberty.

dirt_girl

I have bagged 24 of NH 4000 footer in just 11 weeks. :beer:

and 6 other little peaks just for the added fun. :D

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
My dad got me interested in hiking at the age of 3, and by 5 we did our first overnight on Liberty. After a few more peaks I asked him if we could do them all, I think I was 6 or 7 at the time, and he said sure. I finished at the age of 11, having had many memorable hikes along the way. Like the rest of you I have some favorites I return to, some I would like to do again, and some I see no need to return to. Though, if my little boy wants to climb the 48....

N

NEtracker

Most of them in the 80's, a couple in late 60's-70's.
I'm feelin' old.....

MARI

the 48

I did not begin peak bagging in the sense of adding to a list until about 4 years ago. I had always hiked in the Waterville area, and between hiking trips with my father and brothers, never kept count. One year, after the Flags on the 48- a friend said, "How many of the 4,000's do you have?" I had no idea, and started to go over what I remembered doing. I was over 20 and thought, "WOW". At this time I was going through a divorce. I took on the list as an emotional and physical distraction to try and accomplish something positive through a difficult and strenuous time in life. When my ex had the kids, I had no idea what to do with my time, so I said "I'll go hiking!" That is how I began pursuing the list. Now, I have 47 of these conquered and will complete #48 , Madison, this weekend. I will be with freinds and family who supported me through thick and thin. It will be a catharsis. I would not have changed these experiences for anything else. The list has helped me grow, help me move forward and it has given me a new direction in life. That is my story.

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Congrats!

peakbagging is addictive though, so be careful :p

I'm glad you had a clear day for Mooselauke. i finished my NH48 and NE4kers on that peak in the dense fog. It was raining on the way up, but it eventually stopped. The clouds were very low and I have no clue what the view is like from up there. I've been wanting to go back and ski there in the winter, but haven't had the desireable time/weather combination fall into place. I have since gone on to climb the 100 highest and am now working on the Dak peaks, and the US state highpoints.

There's always a list if you make the time :D :D
Completing a list makes you climb peaks that you would normally pass by. It helps drive you to set goals, and encourages you to fulfill committments. On top of all that, you get to see some awesome places, commune with yourself and others, and discover things about your self you may have never known.

Keep hiking :p

SilentCal

Good Job Mari ! I must admit, it was quite odd to run into you during that super gusty day on Lafayette. Let us know how Madison goes!

MARI

48's

Hey- I will be on Madison this Saturday with any luck! Anyone care to join me in a celebratory beer on the summittt let me know. BYOB

MtnMagic

Good for you Mari, way to go girl! Glad you'll finish them all. Taking a group to do 2 of the 4k's at Franconia Ridge Saturday or I'd meet you at the summit and share that beer with your family/friends.

Hey girl, here's an idea... even though you don't have a flags mountain this year, join in on one or a few. And meet us at The Mooseland Grill for a meal and a beer.

Skier71787

Website
www.timberlaneskiteam.org
I've done 7/48 of the 4k's.
Rank Mountain Elev. Dates Times Peaked
1 Washington 6288 7/17/04, 8/14/04 2
2 Adams 5774 8/14/04 1
3 Jefferson 5712 8/25/04 1
4 Monroe 5384 8/25/04 1
5 Madison 5367 8/14/04 1
6 Lafayette 5260 6/27/04 1
7 Lincoln 5089 6/27/04, 9/19/04 2

I keep a spreadsheet of the mtns i've hiked. I was determined to finish the 5k's this summer when i decided to pursue the 4k's. Many fun times and i can't wait to hike again.

pedxing

I'd planned on finishing them this year, but no dice. Willey, Field and Tom put me at 43.

Maybe I'll do some winter day trips and get a few of the easier ones, and move forward on my winter list.