• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Ghetto?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
:flame:
I've been thinking a lot about the Stowe development and how the customer base will be transformed. I can't help but think that the Mt. Mansfield Base Lodge won't become the ghetto for the less-affluent skiers. 1) Sink all your money into Real Estate, lodge, valet services over at Spruce. Madonna Mt. becomes instantly accessible. 2) Transfer lift gets you easy access to the weather-proof gondolas and gondi base lodge replete with classical music. It's not at all convenient access from the transfer lift to the Mansfield chairs (it's a HOOF). Discourages the Bogner-wearing crowd from even getting over there. (Sure you can ski from the gondi down, to the Mansfield base, but that hoof back up is very discouraging.)

MMBL is crowded, noisy and small (I love it!). No white table service here, no ski school(?) or day care, but a very cool bar! The HOOF uphill to the lifts will certainly eliminate all but the hardiest. Just as well. Keep the collegians, Winter Carnival, brown baggers, steep-seekers and Subaru crowd down in the ghetto.

I hope they never change the Mansfield base lodge!

Now that I've dropped the incendiary device, I will run and take cover ;-)

The hoof up from the parking lot/base lodge to the Forerunner quad is part of what makes Stowe unique..I think the steps are for gapers..the true hardcores walk right up the hill..even if it's covered in glare ice. I'm rarely in the Mansfield lodge since I usually boot up in the lot..and prefer the Octagon for lunch or the Midway lodge.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The hoof up from the parking lot/base lodge to the Forerunner quad is part of what makes Stowe unique..I think the steps are for gapers..the true hardcores walk right up the hill..even if it's covered in glare ice. I'm rarely in the Mansfield lodge since I usually boot up in the lot..and prefer the Octagon for lunch or the Midway lodge.

That's exactly my point. Stowe will draw in a new group of people, who can get their skis valeted, a massage after skiing, white-linen dinner, and martinis after wards. They will undoubtedly take long lunch breaks, with a few hardcore exceptions among them. Booting in the lot? I don't think so. Stowe is chasing the money.

You and I won't count. They will still be nice to us, but there will be more seats in first class than in coach. Another good analogy, is that you have to have affordable housing to play (after all, the mountain does belong to the state), but the majority of homes will exceed $1M.

Last edited:
Stowe has always drawn an upscale class of people..10 years ago when I started college they were one of the first areas to charge the then unheard of price of $50..

cbcbd

I've never really seen Stowe as the haven for the bum skier. Down here it's definitively status/ego pumping to say "I only ski at Stowe and will never go to Hunter".

I'm awaiting a JD post saying:

"You're right, the mountain will lose it's friendly vibe and be overrun by snobs. People should go elsewhere, like Sugarbush."

IMHO..Stowe is the best in the east...and I'm a skibum..I'm just a skibum stuck in PA with a full-time job...lol

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
This weekend:

11907-017.jpg

11907-019.jpg

Zand

I love the hike up to the Forerunner. Also, the hill makes for a nice last-minute gladed run when you head back to the lodge haha.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Stowe has a core group of people who are there for the terrain and snow, and then everyone else. It's not hard to tell who's who. PS, we've never been friendly. ;) All that being said, Jay really gets all the snow and has a sick new Back country line off of big J.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Stowe has a core group of people who are there for the terrain and snow, and then everyone else. It's not hard to tell who's who. PS, we've never been friendly. ;) All that being said, Jay really gets all the snow and has a sick new Back country line off of big J.

ahem. do you have an arrest record and a couple of chain saws? :wink:

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
I am thinking the people at Stowe might be concerned with perception and pricing. The reason I am thinking this is after skiing there last April during my spring break when VT got gloriously dumped, they sent me an online survey and rewarded me with a subscription to Skiing for filling it out. I wish I can remember the questions exactly, but a lot of them had to do with lift ticket pricing vs. value, and if I would ski more or less with different pricing structures. Some questions had to do with grooming and snowmaking and other places I ski, and why I ski there - if I remember right.

Here's a couple of pics from April 5 & 6, 2007

Stowe015017merged-vi.jpg

Stowe007-vi.jpg

I am thinking the people at Stowe might be concerned with perception and pricing. The reason I am thinking this is after skiing there last April during my spring break when VT got gloriously dumped, they sent me an online survey and rewarded me with a subscription to Skiing for filling it out. I wish I can remember the questions exactly, but a lot of them had to do with lift ticket pricing vs. value, and if I would ski more or less with different pricing structures. Some questions had to do with grooming and snowmaking and other places I ski, and why I ski there - if I remember right.

Here's a couple of pics from April 5 & 6, 2007

Stowe015017merged-vi.jpg

Stowe007-vi.jpg

I was there those dates as well...wowser..that was some nice Powder..light and dry..I know with the multiday ticket I had..it worked out to $46 a day..