• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 11/12/07

loafer89

Here are two pictures of Chute. There was very low light today so the pictures are a bit dark:

chute2.jpg

Chute1.jpg

Zand

Here are two pictures of Chute. There was very low light today so the pictures are a bit dark:

Those must've been first thing in the morning... guns are still on and there are few bumps in the pics. Amazing how much of a difference 6 hours made bumps-wise.

2knees

had a blast today. nice to see everyone either again or for the first time. Skied mostly with austin, jim, greg, zand, powhunter and crazy johhnypoach. Also had the pleasure of watching mattchuck and his friend on their tele's. Super smooth skiers. Spent most of the time on chute. bumps were really fun, not real organized though. Nice lines up top with snow that was a little firmer. the lower you got, the mankier it got. took some nice wipeouts. Chute was basically deserted after lunch. I guess everyone headed back over to the main face. I had my old volkls with me today and it just go to be too much for my legs. damn things are just too heavy. couldnt turn 'em fast enough after my first couple of runs.

loafer89

Those must've been first thing in the morning... guns are still on and there are few bumps in the pics. Amazing how much of a difference 6 hours made bumps-wise.

The pictures are from about 10:00am in the morning, and the snowmaking crew was shutting down the guns as we made our way down the trail. I am glad that we got there early enough to see the snow cannon in action on Launch Pad and they put out quite a bit of snow with almost no noise.

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Monday, November 12, 2007, 9:50 am - 3:30 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow, Vermont

Conditions: Manmade snow, bumps, hardpack. mostly cloudy. Cool, no wind.

Trip Report: Left the Waterbury area after dropping off the kids around 7:20 am and made it to Snow at 9:50. Saw JimG. skiing as I walked in. Told him I'd meet at the triple in a few.

Wasn't waiting long before Yooper showed up who I met at Sundown once a few seasons back. Chatted with him for a bit when austin arrived and eventually some others. After a few intros, we were off. Took a top to bottom on Canyon and Standard. A bit of hard pack on Upper Canyon, but smooth manmade the rest of the way. It took me a while to figure out the Cabrawlers; definitely different skiing. We all headed to the meet-up spot to meet the rest of the crew. At one point later in the day, Austin and I were trying to figure out how many people from AZ were there. Here's my best estimate (sorry if I miss anyone):

Zand
Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
JimG.
andyzee + Vee
roark
mattchuck2 + friend
Grassi21
awf170
2knees
powhunter + Jonnypoach
loafer89 + Warren
180 + family
skibum9995
Yooper + daughter
MrMagic

So 17 AZers plus friends/family. There was also other Hunter skiers that JimG. knew besides 180 + family. A large group of us hit Chute which was awesome. Sweet manmade snow with fun bumps and whales to play on. some funky lines, but still awesome skiing and a lot more of a challenge than I expected today. Sweet stuff! We banged out a few more Chute runs before lunch, then headed back down the base. I was starting feel a bit more comfortable on my skis.

We saw the rest of the crew at lunch and pretty quickly headed back up to the top and to Chute. I skied there the rest of the day finishing it off with a run with Zand and Austin. We then cruised it back to the base. finished at 3:30, rolling by 3:50 and home by 6:30. All in all the best first day of skiing I've ever had.

Good to meet some new AZers in Zand, mattchuck, Austin, skibum and MrMagic. Skiing with the rest of you is always a pleasure. There is definitely some skiing talent on this board. Can't wait for Hunter 12/14 now!

I encoded all the vid so I'll try to throw something together tonight. The crappy freeware encoder didn't do the best job, but you'll get the idea. I have to invest in a quality app to rip the DVD data to something I can use in WMM.

Zand

^After that last run on Chute and then back to the base, I went top-to-bottom on Canyon/Standard with no stops. My legs were screaming after that one.

Grassi21

I just got home and it was a fun day with a suprisingly large amount of snow on Chute with some large wales and moguls. My son and I took 11 runs in total with 5 runs down Chute and 4 top to bottom runs down the main face.

It was nice to get out so early and especially fun to ski on my birthday.

Dude I forgot it was your birthday. I know based on today's conditions it must have been a good b-day. I feel extra special seeing that I helped out the b-day boy who lost is stub. :lol: See you at Sundown.

Grassi21

^After that last run on Chute and then back to the base, I went top-to-bottom on Canyon/Standard with no stops. My legs were screaming after that one.

don't think it would have been physically possible for me to ski top/bottom on my last run.

legs are cooked. i am not in the shape i thought i was in. lots of the skier's edge before hunter. great time today.

thanks for the ride brian. i was impressed by your bag of snacks on the way home. such variety. ;-)

Last edited:

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Great skiing with you guys!

I think Austin is some type of Cyborg. That kid had nothing but energy. I wish I had more in the tank, but my Preseason Workout Regimen left a little to be desired. Still, I skied from about 9:15 to 2:30, about 7 or 8 runs on Chute, with only that short break for lunch . . . not bad for the first day out.

It was great attaching names to faces, and I was impressed as a whole as to the level of ability on display. Usually, when you get a group of random people together, I never really know how people will ski, but everybody was ready to go right out of the gate. Of course, I guess I should've assumed there'd be some rippers . . . I mean, if you talk about something all summer, you have to get better, right? :-D

awf170

Some pics...

Greg:
IMG_3234.JPG

JimG:
IMG_3236.JPG

A very well covered chute:
IMG_3246.JPG

2knees:
IMG_3260.JPG

A bunch of AZers:
IMG_3264.JPG