• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

He shoots he scores; FREE BINDINGS

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, dropped off my new B2's and bindings to get mounted last week. At the same time, I dropped off my now rock skis to get some base repairs done and a tune.

The kid in the shop mis-read the ticket and mounted my new bindings on my rock skis. Mind your though my rock skis aren't that old, about 4 years, the bindings are VERY old. Marker M51 SC circa 1994. Even back in 2003 when I went to have them mounted on my then new boards, the shop refused, so I had to have a friend who worked there do it on the side.

Realizing his mistake, he was kinda screwed. One, he didn't want to drill what would have been a third set of holes in my skis and two he couldn't 'lawfully' re-mount my old Marker bindings back on due to liability concerns.

So, I received a BRAND NEW pair of Rossi Scratch bindings, not top of the line, but decent enough for me for my rock skis.

So, for $50 I received my new boards mounted with bindings and a hot wax; three significant base repairs and a full tune on the rock skis AND new bindings.

As much as I don't like having skis drilled more than once and was a bit dissappointed in that, my old bindings were completely shot. So, I was pretty psyched, tipped the tech $20 and was on my way gear all set for my season to begin on Sunday.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was a somewhat honest mistake. He mis-read the ticket and with my bindings being so old and shot on my older skis, he probably thought thought I had bought the new ones to replace the old ones.

He got the tip because

A. He admitted his mistake
B. Apologized profusely
C. Tuned by boards for free, waxed my new boards for free
D. Included free NEW bindings. He probably could've found some banged up demo bindings in the shop, but he put new ones on.

Had he not made this mistake, what I had requested would've costed $85. So, yeah, for doing the right thing making up for his mistake, I thought he deserved a tip.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds worthy of the tip to me. A lot of shops would have tried to wiggle out of paying for the new bindings somehow...

You always want to tip tech's in one way or another. They always remember that.

I'm lucky my buddy tunes my skis..he gets 20+ bucls or a case of beer..and he enjoys tuning skis..but when I used to get my skis tuned in a shop, I never thought of tipping them and usually never interacted with the ski tuner..mainly the cashier who I dropped my skis off with and picked them up..Anyway most people won't admit their mistakes and put the blame on themselves..