• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Weight

Greg

Staff member
Is this something you ever consider? I'm replacing my Volkl AC3s due to their (perceived) excess weight, but It seems a bit futile considering the weight of my boots.

JimG.

Staff member
Is this something you ever consider? I'm replacing my Volkl AC3s due to their (perceived) excess weight, but It seems a bit futile considering the weight of my boots.

Why do you think I ski with AT boots all the time? They weigh half as much as alpine boots. And my Adrenalins are heavy as AT boots go. They're plenty stiff where it counts and I have never liked a boot with poor fore and aft flex. I like to use my ankles when I ski.

I have always believed that ski boots are excessively heavy.

BeanoNYC

AC3's are heavy as hell. There is nothing perceived about that...It's a fact. My only complaint about them.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I think boot weight definitely matters. As important as ski weight. If you're a dynamic skier the weight of your equipment plays a large roll in how tired you'll get skiing. I think my next boots will definitely be a pair of AT boots. This is esp true as they are getting beefier each year.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Man, don't even get me started on boot weight. One thing that sucks about having big feet is having to shoulder more boot weight than the average skier (the upside is stupid cheap discounts on close out sales on binders and boots because few people have a large size). My 30.5 mondo X-Wave 10s weight in at 15+ pounds. My AT G-Rides are considerably lighter but not a great skiing boot so I stick to alpine when lift serviced.

Currently, I am evaluating other options and using AT for front/back side use combined with exception of groomer/bump only days on which I would pull out the X-Waves. New Dynafit ZZero may be the ace in the hole, can't wait to try a pair of those. Until then, damn my boots are heavy :( Binding systems certainly add a ton of weight and having a flat mounted ski definitely helps in the weight category. A lot of overcoming weight through practice and muscle build up has been my only method of fighting the sluggish effects of heavy boots. At least until I land a good combo AT boot that works well both on the up and the down. When my X=Wave 10s need replacing, I might end up going with something like the new Axon or Shamen which are a downhill boots masquerading as AT.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Boot weight is not as crucial as ski weight because the skier is close to the axis of rotation. The further from the axis of rotation, the more penalty weight is because of its large moment arm and higher angular inertia. That's what lay skiers refer to as "swing weight." Unless you're doing a lot of hiking with your boots, the weight is not nearly as important as ski weight in terms of turnability.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Boot weight is not as crucial as ski weight because the skier is close to the axis of rotation. The further from the axis of rotation, the more penalty weight is because of its large moment arm and higher angular inertia. That's what lay skiers refer to as "swing weight." Unless you're doing a lot of hiking with your boots, the weight is not nearly as important as ski weight in terms of turnability.
I can tell you do not have size 14 feet. :dunce: For turnability, what you say may be true but boot weight is a significant contributor to fatigue which also effects turnability. Same ski with different weight boots skis markably different.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I can tell you do not have size 14 feet. :dunce: For turnability, what you say may be true but boot weight is a significant contributor to fatigue which also effects turnability. Same ski with different weight boots skis markably different.

This is true on both accounts, I've got 9 1/2 size feet there, sasquatch. Boot weight certainly will contribute to fatigue although considering the prices of skis compared with boots, if weight reduction for performance sake is your goal, the skis are easily the first place to look, and most definitely, as Greg said, is not futile to reduce the weight of your skis without getting lighter boots. Lighter skis will be immediately noticeable, much more so than lighter boots.

KevinF

The only times I've noticed the weight of my boots has been when carrying them from the car to the base lodge and when hiking with them on (i.e., Mittersill, hike-to terrain out west, etc.). I've never noticed the ski + boot weight while actually skiing though.

tjf67

If you start looking into it most of the weight is in the bindings. AC3 are not that heavy. It the binding attached to them.

unless you are bootpacking all day long the weight of the boot IMO never plays a role.

The AT boots that people are talking about get the crap beat out of them in resorts. They are not meant to be beat up that much. I would rather boot pack with my alpine boots with the extra weight and get the performance out of them vs the lighter at boot with its wishy washy feel.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
tjf67, take a look at the latest upper end stiff AT boots. To suggest all AT boots have a wishy washy feel is not accurate. There are many AT boots that are stiffer than most Alpine boots now, unreal.

I still maintain people suggesting boot weight is negligible do not have big feet and thus the difference between a heavy boot and light weight boot is negligible. For me, the difference between my Alpine and AT boot is 5 pounds which is as much as some Apline boots weight in smaller sizes.

The motion binding systems, such as the AC3, definitely are a huge amount of weight. As mentioned before, a flat mounted ski is much lighter than a motion system. Bindings have become damn heavy. Weight of ski is also a factor and certainly swing weight is an issue. But skis begin equal, boot weight can be significant, not just on the up hill but also skiing. If you are railing groomers, you will never noticed. If you are bumping all day or doing advanced terrain that requires jump turns and advanced ability, boot weight will certainly be a factor and higher boot weight does contribute to fatigue and lowers performance later in the day. Not saying it is more significant than binding or ski weight, but certainly a factor, especially all other things being equal.

tjf67

tjf67, take a look at the latest upper end stiff AT boots. To suggest all AT boots have a wishy washy feel is not accurate. There are many AT boots that are stiffer than most Alpine boots now, unreal.

I said it wrong. I dont care what AT boot you get if you are a charger you are going to wreck them inside the ropes.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is untrue for the stiffer end of the spectrum. AT Boot manufacturers are currently beefing up their lines considerably to the point that several AT boots are stiffer than Alpine. JimG has made the Garmont Adrenelines work inside the ropes and that is two boots down from Garmonts stiffest. Lots of AT people (chargers) are looking for boots to do both touring and skiing at areas. Personally, I think too much emphasis has recently been put on ultra stiff AT boots. Look at the specs on the Garmont Shamen (no tour mode!) or Scarpa Tornado. These boots are meant for in bounds use inside the ropes.

tjf67

That is untrue for the stiffer end of the spectrum. AT Boot manufacturers are currently beefing up their lines considerably to the point that several AT boots are stiffer than Alpine. JimG has made the Garmont Adrenelines work inside the ropes and that is two boots down from Garmonts stiffest. Lots of AT people (chargers) are looking for boots to do both touring and skiing at areas. Personally, I think too much emphasis has recently been put on ultra stiff AT boots. Look at the specs on the Garmont Shamen (no tour mode!) or Scarpa Tornado. These boots are meant for in bounds use inside the ropes.

My buddy speant 700 or so bucks on the Adrenelines last year and they are shot. . By Feb of last year he went out and bought a pair of Nordicas. If you could build a lighter AT boot that had all the performance of a alpine boot then why would they continue to make alpine boots?

Not looking to argue but heck what esle is there to do.

tjf67

BTW both those boots are new for this year i believe.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My buddy speant 700 or so bucks on the Adrenelines last year and they are shot. . By Feb of last year he went out and bought a pair of Nordicas. If you could build a lighter AT boot that had all the performance of a alpine boot then why would they continue to make alpine boots?

Not looking to argue but heck what esle is there to do.

How does one go through boots like that? Run them over with one's car?

tjf67

You get to much play in them. Like Jim G stated he likes a little play in his boot. Probably like most uf us like a little play in our pants but most proficient skiers dont want that.