• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another crap article about Hunter

Grassi21

Here's a great bumper sticker for you, Grass:

jitcrunch.aspx

Oh Beano, you know me too well. I made the right choice. :beer:

Edit: Although I am not from LI, I had the same choice. Plenty of Italians in Westchester. ;-)

Last edited:

inhalexhale

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.huntermtn.com
I am being 100% honest when I say that I have been here since 6:30 this morning and there has not been a drop of rain. It's kind of damp outside, it rained last night, but it hasn't rained this morning, so I am kind of mortified that the forecast is so inaccurate.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
I am being 100% honest when I say that I have been here since 6:30 this morning and there has not been a drop of rain. It's kind of damp outside, it rained last night, but it hasn't rained this morning, so I am kind of mortified that the forecast is so inaccurate.

Well that's good news...now if you can actually believe the forecast, look like snow later in the week

inhalexhale

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.huntermtn.com
Usually NOAA is pretty good -- better overall accuracy than Accuweather and Weather Channel, as well as Precision Weather Service.

We're going to start up the guns as soon as the rainy clouds clear and the air dries up a bit. I'll keep everyone posted....the next two days are going to be pretty quiet.

pigfarmer

Hey everyone,

I'm the eastern editor at Skiing. Greg pointed me to this thread, so blame him if you don't like what I have to say.

Which ain't much, to be honest. The piece you're talking about ran in the national section of the mag, beyond the scope of my duties. I'm pretty sure it ran in the Vibe section, which is our place for nightlife/party/general nuttiness.

That said, if there's a good ski scene at Hunter, I'd love to hear about it. I have not skied there, so I don't know much about it, but I'm always looking for places that have good terrain and (equally if not more important) a vibrant culture with good characters.

Tell me about what's going on over there. If there's new stuff happening (terrain, lifts, whatever), that always help. For better or worse, there's a sort of formula for making a story happen: Interesting people, timely events, compelling terrain.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Ben

kingslug

The one thing Hunter has is compelling terrain. Just check out all the other resorts in the area: Belleayre, Windham, Plattekill, Mountain Creek, and you will see that Hunter has far more interesting runs. The west side can be considered truly difficult terrain and there is nothing that compares to it on any of the other mountains. Combine all this with the best and fastest snowmaking in the area and you have a unique resort. I would come in February or March when conditions are best. Then write you're story. I doubt you will run into too many Guidos as they will all be hungover from the night before.

Greg

Staff member

pigfarmer

Thanks for the invite. As of Dec 15, I'll be behind the wheel of a Dodge cargo van that I've modified for camping, on my way to the Florida Keys for a little adventure with the family.

Should I survive this trip, I'll look at coming over to Hunter later this winter.

JimG.

Staff member
Hey everyone,

I'm the eastern editor at Skiing. Greg pointed me to this thread, so blame him if you don't like what I have to say.

Which ain't much, to be honest. The piece you're talking about ran in the national section of the mag, beyond the scope of my duties. I'm pretty sure it ran in the Vibe section, which is our place for nightlife/party/general nuttiness.

That said, if there's a good ski scene at Hunter, I'd love to hear about it. I have not skied there, so I don't know much about it, but I'm always looking for places that have good terrain and (equally if not more important) a vibrant culture with good characters.

Tell me about what's going on over there. If there's new stuff happening (terrain, lifts, whatever), that always help. For better or worse, there's a sort of formula for making a story happen: Interesting people, timely events, compelling terrain.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Ben

We'll show you around whatever day you pick.

Alot of good skiers at Hunter. And alot of characters. I was skiing with a few of them this afternoon. Give us a heads up before you come up/down to ski.

No problems with anything you said...pretty much figured it was as you explained. I'm one of the main Hunter regulars on this site. And chief pot stirrer.

Amazing the things we cook up.

Speaking of nightlife... Where are the best spots these days...seems as if times have changed a bit....Anywhere to hang on a thursday night>?

inhalexhale

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.huntermtn.com
Speaking of nightlife... Where are the best spots these days...seems as if times have changed a bit....Anywhere to hang on a thursday night>?

Slopes is where most people go. HVI was busy before it burned down. I go to Spinning Room generally, more local atmosphere, not so many half-naked, hair-gelled Italian stallions on the dance floor.

dmc

Slopes is where most people go. HVI was busy before it burned down. I go to Spinning Room generally, more local atmosphere, not so many half-naked, hair-gelled Italian stallions on the dance floor.

A band I play with sometimes(23A) is playing Slopes Saturday night...

Also we're trying to get a base lodge gig with Third Rail... I think we're almost there - just trying to find the right weekend I guess...

inhalexhale

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.huntermtn.com
A band I play with sometimes(23A) is playing Slopes Saturday night...

Also we're trying to get a base lodge gig with Third Rail... I think we're almost there - just trying to find the right weekend I guess...

Shoot Danny an e-mail. dpickett@huntermtn.com. I was helping with bands and now it's all senior management.......so, see what happens I guess.