• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'Out For Delivery'

deadheadskier

Staff member
DHS will now be heading home just a little bit quicker today ;)

actually the opposite, I'll be heading 'out' a little bit later. The office is either at home or in the car. Hopefully my customers understand :lol:

I mean everyone should be just as excited as me for getting ski gear on a hot sticky July day right? ;)

wa-loaf

actually the opposite, I'll be heading 'out' a little bit later. The office is either at home or in the car. Hopefully my customers understand :lol:

Does your UPS guy deliver to your place right away? My stuff often is listed Out for Delivery as early as 5 am, but we're at the end of the route and packages sometimes don't get to the house until late afternoon. :evil:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does your UPS guy deliver to your place right away? My stuff often is listed Out for Delivery as early as 5 am, but we're at the end of the route and packages sometimes don't get to the house until late afternoon. :evil:

hard to tell, the only UPS I've received was overnight, which got here by noon. Considering that this is ground, it might not arrive as early.

drjeff

I mean everyone should be just as excited as me for getting ski gear on a hot sticky July day right? ;)

Come on now, many of us will be enjoying a good sweat on the trip to the mailbox in a couple of weeks to get the first Ski Mags of the year. Ski stokage in the summer does not mean you have a problem ;) :)

Phillycore

I love getting new gear... I reserved a pair of Marker Griffons from my local ski shop the other day to get mounted on my firstbloods.... and picked up a used pair of PE's on ebay for my 13y/o which will be his first set of twins..

deadheadskier

Staff member
My new Krypton's have entered 'out for delivery' status :grin:

They done have arrived :grin:..but, I'm a tad uncertain about them :???:. The Rampages I tried on in the same size fit perfectly, these are a tad tight. Perhaps the custom liner takes up more volume in the shell.

So, I'm hesitant to get the foot beds custom heat molded until I try a place locally that have the next 1/2 size up, which will be next years boots at this point. I can get into them very easy, but my toes are right up against the toe box with very little wiggle room. Snug is good, but there is no room at all for anything but the slightest toe wiggle. Maybe the custom molding will improve this? Anyone have any experience with blowing boots out just a tiny bit?

wa-loaf

They done have arrived :grin:..but, I'm a tad uncertain about them :???:. The Rampages I tried on in the same size fit perfectly, these are a tad tight. Perhaps the custom liner takes up more volume in the shell.

So, I'm hesitant to get the foot beds custom heat molded until I try a place locally that have the next 1/2 size up, which will be next years boots at this point. I can get into them very easy, but my toes are right up against the toe box with very little wiggle room. Snug is good, but there is no room at all for anything but the slightest toe wiggle. Maybe the custom molding will improve this? Anyone have any experience with blowing boots out just a tiny bit?

Hows the shell fit? If the shell fit is correct, the liner will pack out to fit and heat molding should help right away.

Next 1/2 size up? are talking like 9 to 9.5 or 9.5 to 10. The first is the same shell size and only the footbed is different, 9.5 to 10 and you move up a shell size. If it's close it's much easier to stretch out a boot than work with one too big.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hows the shell fit? If the shell fit is correct, the liner will pack out to fit and heat molding should help right away.

Next 1/2 size up? are talking like 9 to 9.5 or 9.5 to 10. The first is the same shell size and only the footbed is different, 9.5 to 10 and you move up a shell size. If it's close it's much easier to stretch out a boot than work with one too big.

well, I typically where a size 9 shoe, but I measured to a 26.5 in the shop. That is the size I tried on in the Rampage and the fit was perfect, if not a touch roomy. Not the case on the Krypton. I think I can work with them, but I kind of want to try a 27 just in case before I blow these out. Backcountryoutlet will take them back for a full refund if I don't like them, but if I do that, I want them to be able to resell them.

well, I typically where a size 9 shoe, but I measured to a 26.5 in the shop. That is the size I tried on in the Rampage and the fit was perfect, if not a touch roomy. Not the case on the Krypton. I think I can work with them, but I kind of want to try a 27 just in case before I blow these out. Backcountryoutlet will take them back for a full refund if I don't like them, but if I do that, I want them to be able to resell them.

So you never tried on the Krypton?:uzi:

wa-loaf

I know all boots are different, but I'm a 9.5 - 10 shoe and I'm in a 26.0 shell. I was second guessing the fit until the boot fitter got to them.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So you never tried on the Krypton?:uzi:

I tried on the Rampage.....same exact shell, just a softer plastic. Liners are different. Rampages fit perfect, but were too soft. With that I gambled on the Kryptons.

This is the first time I blind bought boots online, I may regret it, I might not. Backcountryoutlet has essentially a lifetime satisfaction guarantee....so the only thing I stand to lose is about $15 in shipping.

mondeo

If you got them with the Intuition liner, it's a very stiff liner. Custom molding will make it fit like a glove - no room for anything but a little toe wiggle room, but not too tight anywhere either; they can also adjust the fit with the molding - less tight during the process is more of a race fit, tight gives you more room on the slopes. Then once it packs out you'll have a little more. Not sure what the standard liner is like.

With the Kryptons at least, the half size is the same shell as the whole size below it. Basically, you have a size 26 shell with a 26.5 insole (maybe liner.)

Everything I've heard is that you're better off with boots that are a little too small and having them punched/grinded/etc. as necessary. If the Rampages are the same molds, different plastic, you're probably best off with the ones you've got. The other good thing I've heard about the Kryptons is that they have some of the thickest shells out there, which makes bigger fitting changes possible with the smaller shell.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you got them with the Intuition liner, it's a very stiff liner. Custom molding will make it fit like a glove - no room for anything but a little toe wiggle room, but not too tight anywhere either; they can also adjust the fit with the molding - less tight during the process is more of a race fit, tight gives you more room on the slopes. Then once it packs out you'll have a little more. Not sure what the standard liner is like.

With the Kryptons at least, the half size is the same shell as the whole size below it. Basically, you have a size 26 shell with a 26.5 insole (maybe liner.)

Everything I've heard is that you're better off with boots that are a little too small and having them punched/grinded/etc. as necessary. If the Rampages are the same molds, different plastic, you're probably best off with the ones you've got. The other good thing I've heard about the Kryptons is that they have some of the thickest shells out there, which makes bigger fitting changes possible with the smaller shell.

Yeah, it's the intuition liner. I'm thinking about going and seeing Jeff Bokum now that I'm only about 45 minutes away from him. In the end, if I end up having to drop another $100 or two to get the perfect fit, it'll be worth it in the long run.

My Nordica Blowers just arrived..wow are they steezy..the fattest skis I've ever owned @110 at the waist..but alot of sidecut as well...wow I can't wait to ski them opening day..

Yeah, it's the intuition liner. I'm thinking about going and seeing Jeff Bokum now that I'm only about 45 minutes away from him. In the end, if I end up having to drop another $100 or two to get the perfect fit, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Once you heat the liners and mold them you'll settle further back into the heel pocket and you'll have more toe room. You can also mold them with a thick pair of socks on and that'll give you some extra room. Don't fret that they're not the right size...I'm an 11/11.5 street show and I ski in a 27 shell...can hike in them and spend the whole day in them with no problems. The liner can be worked on to create more wiggle room in the toes and the shells can be stretched if necessary....its much easier to make a boot that's a little too tight roomier where you need it than it is to make a boot that is too big fit better. I'm a former Cped, spent dozens of years doing custom boot work, have molded plenty of liners in my day from thermoflex to intuition, foam, etc...it sounds like you've got the right size, they just need to be molded. I'm only 5 min from you...before you send them back or spend any more $$, if you want, send me a pm, we can have a beer and check them out.

Greg

Staff member

Did you shell size the boot?