• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot sole question

wa-loaf

My new boots have straight plastic soles. No heel or toe treads. I'm really worried about trashing the soles (especially once I get them canted) in the parking lot, so I'm going to be booting up solely in the lodge for now. Does anyone use any of those tread type attachments for your boots? Are they small enough to stick in your pocket so you can avoid the lodge?

snowmonster

I use Seirus Cat Tracks which I got at REI http://www.rei.com/product/197509.htm. It's small enough to fold into your pants pockets. Just make sure to shake 'em to get pebbles and ice off so they don't end up in your pockets. I think it's a great device especially if you have your boots canted. I wear it even in the lodge and put them away just before I click in. I figure that with all the money I spend on my boots, this is a good investment.

wa-loaf

Thanks, that's kinda what I had in mind. I wasn't sure if they were easy to stick in a pocket.

bigbog

...a small pack works wonders..

wa-loaf,
Just pick up a good small day pack...for the cats, food, water, anything else. It's a good idea to take it off for the first couple times on lifts...until you make sure nothing'll catch. Have to guard against that potential disaster but it'll save the bootsoles....and if you ever plan any off-trail/off-resort day outing you'll already have the pack.

$.01

wa-loaf

what is canting?

No ones feet and legs are identical and sometimes one foot lands differently from the other, especially once in a stiff boot. It can put your boot and ski off angle a little bit and affect your skiing. Canting will compensate for this. Some boots allow the cuff to be angled a bit, but true canting involves either putting shims under your bindings (which limits you to that particular pair of skis) or grinding the angle into the the sole of your boots.

wa-loaf

wa-loaf,
Just pick up a good small day pack...for the cats, food, water, anything else. It's a good idea to take it off for the first couple times on lifts...until you make sure nothing'll catch. Have to guard against that potential disaster but it'll save the bootsoles....and if you ever plan any off-trail/off-resort day outing you'll already have the pack.

$.01

I've got a small camelback. I don't need it for days or nights at WA, so I just want to get across the parking lot and stick the treads in my pocket.

Greg

Staff member
No ones feet and legs are identical and sometimes one foot lands differently from the other, especially once in a stiff boot. It can put your boot and ski off angle a little bit and affect your skiing. Canting will compensate for this. Some boots allow the cuff to be angled a bit, but true canting involves either putting shims under your bindings (which limits you to that particular pair of skis) or grinding the angle into the the sole of your boots.

Right. The goal is to get the ski to be perfectly flat as you stand naturally. I had soles planed on one of my pairs of boots, but we were able to correct things with the cuff adjustment on my current pair. I'm usually only off a degree or two. I noticed more of a difference on skis than I had expected to.