• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Outdoor Sports Center, Wilton CT

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks for the recommendations for Outdoor Sports Center in Wilton, CT! After I drove to Mohawk, I took a crazy drive down Route 7 to get my bindings mounted on my new skis. I half considered going to Alpine Haus (I think that was the name?) in New Milford, but the kids were asleep and it was pouring rain so I continued on. The road construction totally sucked. It took me 1 hr to get from Alpine Haus to Outdoor Sports Center, making what should have theoretically been a 1 hr 20 min trip (if I went from home) into a 2 hr trip. One way. :eek:

A nice guy opened the door for us when we got there. Must have been the fact that I was wearing a 6 month old, had my boots over my left shoulder, skis over the left shoulder, bindings in a box in my right hand, and a 2.5 year old in tow. :lol: He directed me to the 2nd counter. Took a few minutes for help to arrive, but a nice older gentleman came over to start the order for the bindings (and he was shortly replaced by another, older gentleman). I'll be honest that in spite of all that research I did on where to have the bindings mounted, I never even brought it up. My daughter was running all over the store and I was terribly distracted. I also wasn't asked so it wasn't at the forefront of my mind. At first I was asked if I could pick up next Friday. I was disappointed and asked if there was any way I didn't have to leave my boots. (I know, but it was worth a shot. :)) Complained a little about the traffic due to road construction.... Before I knew it, he said they could mount the bindings while I waited! Woohoo! So within 35 minutes, my bindings were mounted and I was all set. (In that meantime, I chased the 2.5 year old throughout the store... they were probably in a hurry to get rid of us, though she wasn't harming anyone or anything and they weren't hugely busy anyway... it's a big store!))

So by the time my skis were ready, I had 3 men helping me. They shouted over that my skis were done (I was browsing the skis they had while my daughter was pretending she was dead over by the front door). I thanked them profusely for being so fast and told them it was worth the long drive. Told them they were highly recommended by Grassi as the best in the state...to which they looked at me dumbfounded. "Who?" I was asked. Guess you need to spend more money there, Grassi. ;) One of the other men did tell me they were recently voted twice as best shop in the state. By whom, I have no idea.

Once I was paid up, one of the men carried my boots and skis to the car for me (holding the door for us on the way out) and even put them in the car.

So I have to give them credit for not only being nice to a lady with 2 crazy kids, but also for mounting bindings while I waited. I've never heard of that before and I very much appreciated not having to make another trip in a week to get the skis... not to mention for not being without my boots this weekend because if Mohawk is open, I WILL be going there!! :D

BTW, the bindings ended up being mounted about 1/2 cm (if that?) in front of the midsole line. Pictures will follow later if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Grassi21

The older gentlemen are Tim and Bruce. Bruce is shorter and pretty much bald. Tim is the taller of the two. They may not remember my last name but they can place my face with the skis I have been drooling over for the past few months. I was in to pick up some ski straps for the wife and Tim started in on me about buying those skis (in a nice way).

We were in for my wife's boot fitting and we had our son with us at the time. I think he was around 2 months old. He cried for 30 of the 60 minutes we were there. They guys in the shop didn't mind. But the women who worked in the clothing dept. seemed more annoyed.

Glad the shop worked out for you. Besides being a great place for ski and snowboard gear they have a great selection of hiking, boat, and bike gear.

cbcbd

Besides being a great place for ski and snowboard gear they have a great selection of hiking, boat, and bike gear.
Their boat shop is excellent! One of the best in the area and they have tons of boats.

Grassi21

Their boat shop is excellent! One of the best in the area and they have tons of boats.

That's where I bought my ride. What kind of boat are you paddling these days? Once I get a more efficient stroke going we should get together for a paddle when the water temps are appropriate. I'm not geared up for those cold water paddles. ;-)

cbcbd

That's where I bought my ride. What kind of boat are you paddling these days? Once I get a more efficient stroke going we should get together for a paddle when the water temps are appropriate. I'm not geared up for those cold water paddles. ;-)
This past season I sold my Perception Carolina 14.5 and kept my Wilderness Systems Arctic Hawk. Yeah, it'll be some time now for the water to warm up and I too have nothing appropriate right now for immersion. :)
They do have pool sessions in Norwalk and Greenwich around me, so I might hit them up this year... but who am I kidding, I'll be up north playing in the ice and snow :D

Grassi21

This past season I sold my Perception Carolina 14.5 and kept my Wilderness Systems Arctic Hawk. Yeah, it'll be some time now for the water to warm up and I too have nothing appropriate right now for immersion. :)
They do have pool sessions in Norwalk and Greenwich around me, so I might hit them up this year... but who am I kidding, I'll be up north playing in the ice and snow :D

Can you let me know when those sessions are or where I can find a schedule? I took a class on basic safety (T rescue and paddle float float rescue) but I would love to start learning a roll in a controlled environment like that with qualified instructors. I plan on taking some more advanced courses next season up at the Cape.

cbcbd

Grassi21

The Norwalk ones I knew from connyak.org, although now it looks like their pool sessions are in Wallingford:
http://connyak.org/Yakevents.htm

The two who are doing the intructional part, Cheri and Turner, are Greenland style kayaking and rolling experts:
http://kayakways.net/bios.html

So now I'm not sure they have the Norwalk ones anymore.

No worries. I live up in Soutbury now anyway. Wallingford wouldn't be bad. Thanks!