• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Valley, NH - 11-27-04

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
My brother (Dwyer) and I took off from Concord, NH this morning at about 7 o'clock, heading north to the cold temperatures. We left the house and it was about 23 degrees, we sure were happy! We drove north, and we got past exit 20 (Tilton) and we saw light blue mini van with four pairs of skis on the top. We flashed him a big thumbs up and continued past him. We got to the Waterville Valley exit and ripped down the access road. It's kind of curvey! We eventually made it to the ski area at about 7:50, and the first lot was almost already full. We pulled our boots and gear on and quick walked to the ticket window.

20 bucks, how can you beat that for a ticket. Who cares if the terrain was not supposed to be spectacular, hey it's only 20 bucks. We pay, and climb the stairs up to the lifts. It was about 16 degrees at the base. We hop on the almost summit quad and find that there is no snow at all under this chair. Uh oh there had better be some snow up top, that is all we are thinking. We get to the top and find that the high country double is running with really only one trail coming down. Man was it packed too. All sorts of race teams, and such. We hop on the slowest double in the history of man and ride to the top. Only took 8 minutes for 400-500 feet of vertical. It's alright though, we are skiing and are definitely happy.

We start skiing down, there were some rails on skiers right and some softer snow off to skiers left. Its pretty nice, edgable yet fairly hard snow. We were certainly glad we had brought our rock skis though as we didn't want to ruin our good ones on the random rocks that could be found all over the trial. We took some laps on this trail as it gets increasingly crowded. We both keep hoping that the other double opens up. Eventually, after the fourth lap on this trail we find that the rope has just been dropped on tippecanoe an intermediate, normally cruising, trail. We are pretty much the first ones on it and at first have it all to ourselves. We run a high speed run through fresh grooming and massive death cookies. These chunks of ice were everywhere. And the destroyed too. Man these things were tough, slappin us all over the place. Hey, whatever, we just cranked GS turns all the way down 900 ft of fresh vertical for the first time of the season. We were grinning from ear to ear!

Next time down we decide to take it a little slower and see if we can find some soft snow, its about 9:15 now. On skiers right we found some very nice snow that was getting softened up by sun light and skier traffic. Not bad for quick snappy turns. On this second run of the real trail, I decided that I was going to try to ski on some man made that had not been groomed. It sounded like a sweet idea. So I bust through some death cookies on to some ungroomed man made when all the sudden it truns to pure blue ice and my edges let go. And I slide about 100 feet on my right butt cheek. Woah, it hurt! That's where the absurd title comes from. Also, real skiers only have three fingers (or at least gloves with only three fingers!)

We ski this for a while, having fun and testing out or new season limits. We took laps on this trail until about 11:15 as it got increasingly crowded, we were pretty upset, all these people in our ways. One complaint of the whole day, who takes brand new skiers to the top of a mountain where they are going to have to download on the quad at the end of the day. There were a lot of beginners plowing the snow off the trail and overall looking like they were having a bad learning experience. Just seemed like there were a lot of gung-hoe dads who had dragged their kids along.

Finally, something great happened. Everyone got hungry. At 11:20 the whole mountain cleared off. A huge line to ride the quad down the mountain, but not a line to be found on either of the doubles! We were stoked. We took some videos and pictures of the soft bumps that we ended up finding. The next two hours of skiing were pure bliss. It was superb, no rocks, no people, no real ice to speak off, just soft man made snow. It rocked. We skied until about 1:15 when the crowds came back, from there we booked it back home.

However, on the way home we saw this crazy bus thing, who knows what it is?

-porter

here is the link to the movies there were 7 movies but my server only holds the three, sorry

Charlie Schuessler

Thank you for reporting the conditions.

I was considering WV this morning, read this report along with the weather forecast and decided to hold off until next weekend or so.