• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any opinions on the Nordica Top Fuel Nitrous?

Grassi21

I've been shopping around quite a bit lately. I've been look at the Volkl AC 20 and 30, Rossi B2, and now these Nordica Top Fuel Nitrous.

I'm 5'7" and tip the scales at 205 (should be 190/195). I'm a sold intermediate and looking to upgrade from the mere 67 underfoot. I'm looking for something with more girth but still room (skill wise) to grow into. I want something that will perform at speed, in the crud, and the occasional East coast pow day, but will also let me lay-off a bit and cruise with the wife (this is the main reason why I've shied away from the AC 30 as of late). The sales rep at the shop also recommended the Salomon X Wing. But after talking more he felt the Nordica might be a good compromise between the X Wing and AC 30.

RISkier

This is not very a very definitive review. I just bought a pair of 170s. I found a pair of demos that I got for relatively little money and said what the heck. I had used a pair of K2 Apache Recons for a day in UT last year and had read good reviews of the Nitrous (very similar dimensions). I did a demo last year at Wachusett. Did 3 runs. I liked them but hard to tell a lot on firm snow at Wachusett. Liked them enough that I really wanted to try them again but not enough to spend the going rate for new. So when I I found these I snapped them up. My limited experience is that they like medium and longer radius turns better than real short turns, though they will skid without problem. They seem fairly forgiving and you can ski them slow. I consider myself an advancing intermediate with lots to learn. And I'm wanting to learn more off piste skiing and thought a ski like this should give me more versitility. Doesn't seem like a ski that will quickly punish you if you get a little in the back seat. Haven't had a chance to try the new ones so I really can't give a review based on much more than early impressions. If you can find some to demo I think it would be pretty suitable for what you seem to be looking for.

Grassi21

This is not very a very definitive review. I just bought a pair of 170s. I found a pair of demos that I got for relatively little money and said what the heck. I had used a pair of K2 Apache Recons for a day in UT last year and had read good reviews of the Nitrous (very similar dimensions). I did a demo last year at Wachusett. Did 3 runs. I liked them but hard to tell a lot on firm snow at Wachusett. Liked them enough that I really wanted to try them again but not enough to spend the going rate for new. So when I I found these I snapped them up. My limited experience is that they like medium and longer radius turns better than real short turns, though they will skid without problem. They seem fairly forgiving and you can ski them slow. I consider myself an advancing intermediate with lots to learn. And I'm wanting to learn more off piste skiing and thought a ski like this should give me more versitility. Doesn't seem like a ski that will quickly punish you if you get a little in the back seat. Haven't had a chance to try the new ones so I really can't give a review based on much more than early impressions. If you can find some to demo I think it would be pretty suitable for what you seem to be looking for.

Very helpful thanks. Sounds like the kind of skiing I want to be doing. I will still have my Heads that I can use to play in the bumps (shorter, softer, narrow underfoot).

campgottagopee

You'll love them---I have the Top Fuels (very similar think just a little stiffer) and they're best ski I've ever been on. Why I say that is because they truly can do it all. They're wicked stable at high speeds, with just a little work can navigate bumps, GREAT inda woods -n- POW, but where they really show off is in the crap. They turn shit snow into groomers to the point where it's almost funny. Enjoy.

Grassi21

Trigger pulled! I pick em up on Thursday and ski them at Hunter on Friday. X Mas is coming early this year!

Thanks for the input guys.

Greg

Staff member
Trigger pulled! I pick em up on Thursday and ski them at Hunter on Friday. X Mas is coming early this year!

Thanks for the input guys.

Nice! Congrats.

Grassi21

Nice! Congrats.

It was the ability to ease off and cruise a bit that made me pick these over the AC 30. The Nordicas are also slightly wider underfoot. I went with the 162 instead of the 170.

bvibert

Staff member
Congrats on the new skis. I'm sure you'll like them. I demo'd a pair of Hot Rod Modified's last year and liked them quite a bit.

Rook

Website
myspace.com
Hot Rod skier chiming in. Great ski for all conditions, but a little tricky in the bumps. I take a conservative line when on the hot rods in the bumps, but everywhere else its a lot of fun to let them rip.

Grassi21

Hot Rod skier chiming in. Great ski for all conditions, but a little tricky in the bumps. I take a conservative line when on the hot rods in the bumps, but everywhere else its a lot of fun to let them rip.

they worked great on friday. pounded through the crud and held a nice edge. i'm very pleased with my purchase.

RISkier

they worked great on friday. pounded through the crud and held a nice edge. i'm very pleased with my purchase.

Glad to hear that. Haven't had a chance to get back out on mine and likely won't for while since next weekend is out.

highpeaksdrifter

Yes, I'm suprised he didn't chime in here. He's usually quick to jump into any Nordica conversation.

True Dat, I didn't see it until today. I have a pair of Nitrous and love them. One of the most verstile skis in the Nordica line up. My Nordica quiver was the Hellcat, Top Fuel, Mach 3 Power, and SM 14. So as you can see I like a stiff ski. All have the titamium layers.

So anyways, my oldest son had the Nitrous and Elimantors. I have always told him you need at least one stiff ski in the NE, but he's a mogal, tree, short turn freak and he didn't want to hear it. So finally he comes around and wants a pair of TFs. I don't want to see him spend the money so I trade him my TFs for his Nitrous.

Dang, I love the Nitrous. Quick, great in trees, good bump ski for the width and pretty stable at speed for a wood core with no metal. They have a little shake when you are really laying out big GS turns, but I have my Mach 3 Powers for those days.

Anyways great choice, fun, fun, fun ski. They pratically turn themselves.

Grassi21

True Dat, I didn't see it until today. I have a pair of Nitrous and love them. One of the most verstile skis in the Nordica line up. My Nordica quiver was the Hellcat, Top Fuel, Mach 3 Power, and SM 14. So as you can see I like a stiff ski. All have the titamium layers.

So anyways, my oldest son had the Nitrous and Elimantors. I have always told him you need at least one stiff ski in the NE, but he's a mogal, tree, short turn freak and he didn't want to hear it. So finally he comes around and wants a pair of TFs. I don't want to see him spend the money so I trade him my TFs for his Nitrous.

Dang, I love the Nitrous. Quick, great in trees, good bump ski for the width and pretty stable at speed for a wood core with no metal. They have a little shake when you are really laying out big GS turns, but I have my Mach 3 Powers for those days.

Anyways great choice, fun, fun, fun ski. They pratically turn themselves.

More reassurance that I made a good decision. Thanks HPD. I loved these boards on day 1. And the funny thing is the one small gripe you have about making big GS turns is not an issue because I rarely, if never, turn in that fashion.

Paul

More reassurance that I made a good decision. Thanks HPD. I loved these boards on day 1. And the funny thing is the one small gripe you have about making big GS turns is not an issue because I rarely, if never, turn in that fashion.

I've been eyeing those as well. Tell me more...tell me more....

grease.jpg

Others that are on the Demo short-list:
Atomic Nomad Whiteout / Crimson - I have Atomics now. I do like them.
Fischer Watea
Salomon X-Wing 10
K2 Apache Recon