• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter AZ Gathering - 12/14/2007

JimG.

Staff member
I just don't believe it!

I never even skied with Brian last Friday...I think I saw him once and said hello.

And he still got a clip of me skiing!

!@#$% papparazzi!

bvibert

Staff member
I just don't believe it!

I never even skied with Brian last Friday...I think I saw him once and said hello.

And he still got a clip of me skiing!

!@#$% papparazzi!

You must be getting old. I skied with you a few times, enough for you to give me a tip on what to work on... ;)

I guess I did a good job of keeping the camera work un-intrusive..

2knees

check out 180 at 3:22 or so as he comes out of that line. He is so balanced and forward pressured that he is working mainly the front half of his ski in that funky turn line that was so hard to hit correctly. Greg, you want to see what shin pressure looks like, that is it right there. He is one hell of a skier. I can only dream of pulling that off.

Greg

Staff member
check out 180 at 3:22 or so as he comes out of that line. He is so balanced and forward pressured that he is working mainly the front half of his ski in that funky turn line that was so hard to hit correctly. Greg, you want to see what shin pressure looks like, that is it right there. He is one hell of a skier. I can only dream of pulling that off.

Trust me. I've been watching that part a few times. I can only imagine the level of skier Shea and Spencer will become when pops skis like that. :eek:

bvibert

Staff member
Trust me. I've been watching that part a few times. I can only imagine the level of skier Shea and Spencer will become when pops skis like that. :eek:

How about the level of skier they are now? They'll both rip by me like I'm standing still already as it is! :eek:

Greg

Staff member
How about the level of skier they are now? They'll both rip by me like I'm standing still already as it is! :eek:

I know. Kinda puts things in perspective, don't it? :lol:

JimG.

Staff member

Nice to see you guys appreciate what great skiing is.

Alan stays on the balls of his feet like no other skier I know.

JimG.

Staff member
You must be getting old. I skied with you a few times, enough for you to give me a tip on what to work on... ;)

I guess I did a good job of keeping the camera work un-intrusive..

Oh yeah...the pole thing.

Sneak.

2knees

lol, i spend more time studying bump videos than i ever did studying academics. I think i can pick out the contenders from the pretenders.

bvibert

Staff member
Oh yeah...the pole thing.

Sneak.

Yeah, the pole thing. Which I thank you for, even if it seems like I get defensive about your critiques. Just my nature I guess. I tried to be more conscious about my hands and poles the rest of the day and I think I was doing a much better job last night in the bumps. I realized at one point that I was mostly just flicking the wrist on each plant instead of moving the whole arm. I was also doing a lot less of the double plants and the multiple plants per turn thing. At least I was in my mind... ;)

jack97

Alan stays on the balls of his feet like no other skier I know.

IMO thats one of the keys.... staying on the balls. Over at epic, I heard an oldie but goodie on getting the hip forward.... try squeezing the cheeks together (i'm not talking about the cheeks on the face) imagine trying to hold a $100 bill between the crack. The muscle contraction forces the hip forward.

Another thing I noticed is the boots, 180 looks like they are flexed more. This is something I adjusted last season; getting the cuff more forward and dialed in a softer flex. It feels like I'm getting more control on the front and can make a faster turn.

2knees

Are you going alone on Jan. 11 or would you be up for skiing with some AZers? I haven't hit MRG this year yet but I should be available to ski it in early Jan.

i'm always up for skiing with people. Would love to get a chance to follow you around that place. you dont mind giving the tour do you?

reefer

If you guys are serious about MRG 1/11 I'm in! My buddy Chris probably will not resisit either! I'll be looking for it on the trip and event forum............................

JimG.

Staff member
IMO thats one of the keys.... staying on the balls. Over at epic, I heard an oldie but goodie on getting the hip forward.... try squeezing the cheeks together (i'm not talking about the cheeks on the face) imagine trying to hold a $100 bill between the crack. The muscle contraction forces the hip forward.

I like this family friendly way of putting this.

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah, the pole thing. Which I thank you for, even if it seems like I get defensive about your critiques. Just my nature I guess. I tried to be more conscious about my hands and poles the rest of the day and I think I was doing a much better job last night in the bumps. I realized at one point that I was mostly just flicking the wrist on each plant instead of moving the whole arm. I was also doing a lot less of the double plants and the multiple plants per turn thing. At least I was in my mind... ;)

I'm glad to see you've used all these videos you guys take to some good...yes that's you.

Don't reach too much with your arm...it should be more in the wrist. And you don't need 2-3 touches per turn.

And try not to associate "plant" with "pole". Use "touch" instead.