• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter AZ Gathering - 12/14/2007

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 12/14/2007, 8:45 am - 3:45 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mountain, New York

Conditions: Tacky powder, some bumps, hard pack. Cloudy, relatively calm, temps in the 30's.

Trip Report: The Hunter 12/14 gathering was a success! The mountain picked up about 8" of snow from the storm that seemed to settle and set up a bit overnight. Still great skiing. Run of the day for me was Minya.

Great to meet everyone today. The crowd at the five fingers was nuts. Huge group - somewhere in the 20's. When I get some time I'll try to do a count. I hope those that traveled some distance had a good time. I'll elaborate more later, but I wanted to get the discussion going.

Much to the dismay of 180's boys, I didn't take any video. ;) The skiing was too much fun to try and set up with a group this large. Great day. I'll post more later. I'm shot.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Damn, you don't waste any time. FYI, the ole legs hurting after skiing with you, 2knees and posse! Guess I picked the wrong crew to start the morning with. :lol: After that, it was a conference call with work and the next crew I run into is Marc, Austin, friends who were just looking for rocks and cliffs to jump off.:spin: These old legs ain't ready for that yet, but it was good seeing everyone.

2knees

Great day for sure today. Got there later then i hoped but par for the course for me. Saw andyzee getting off the lift behind me and then powhunter and johnnypoach. Hit minay i think first run which ended up being the best run. Cliffs was pretty good too. Ike was fun and even ducked into the woods, skiers right, for a short shot. One really nice but really short bump line setup by early afternoon on Minya. Right up against the left hand side. Last run down i made some kinda bobble and thought i was going off into the woods. scared the sh*t outta myself.

Nice to ski with some new people today as well as the usual suspects. Reefer, Wa-loaf, TA&Idaho (M. i'm guessing that is your screen name but i only caught your real name) and Reefers buddy. All EXCELLENT skiers. Nice to get a verbal tour of the hunter backcountry by DMC on a couple of lift rides. Looks real interesting. All in all a very fun day, but way too short for me. I gotta start gettin my ass out of bed quicker.

2knees

ohhh and i just wanted to add that Austin took one hell of a wipeout. 2 perfect 10's but the russian judge gives you an 8.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
ohhh and i just wanted to add that Austin took one hell of a wipeout. 2 perfect 10's but the russian judge gives you an 8.

Ah, you're wipeout wasn't too shabby either :lol: Can you say face plant?

But, the queen of wipeouts was Krisski, girl, you better get that vid up online!

2knees

But, the queen of wipeouts was Krisski, girl, you better get that vid up online!

lol yeah that was a beauty too but by now, havent you come to expect that out of me?

Hawkshot99

that was a HUGE group at the fingers!

Favorite run of the day for me was Claire's. Spent lots of time with Reefer, TaIdaho, WaLoaf and Reefer's friends. Lot of fun with you guys, too bad I had to leave early.

wa-loaf

Great day! Nice to put some faces to names. Had a blast skiing with everyone. Poaching the little bit of pow on Clairs in the morning was a blast, thanks to Hawkshot for getting us to the goods. We lost track of everyone after lunch but discovered Drop In that had really great snow and wasn't scratched off in the afternoon. Lots of fantastic skiers.

Loong trip home, didn't get in until 8:30!

dmc

Good day today.. Got out around 10...
Cool to see some new faces! Minya seemed to be the call of the day.. Great to see everyone ripping that line.
Austin - I was jumping off a rock all day on Bleeker Street coming down to Eisenhower.

Sucked the quad wasn't open...

Greg

Staff member

That was by far the most frightening event of the day. All I know is I stop on Minya about 30' away from 2knees and look uphill. Here comes Austin at ludicrous speed, launching off a bump, somehow orientating himself parallel to the snow and spinning his 8 foot long body several times in this position down the trail between Pat and me. Amazing those skis stayed on... :-o

lol yeah that was a beauty too but by now, havent you come to expect that out of me?

Classic 2knees faceplant. Not quite lawn dart quality, but close.

Super day. Started with Brian and Grassi skiing off F lift. Eventually met up with Hawkshot and trtaylor. We eventually made our way to Wayout and bumped into downhill04 on the West Side. After the 5 fingers meet and greet, we all loaded F lift. Jim encouraged us to split up and for some reason we all ended up on Wayout again.

It starts to get hazy at this point, but I bounced around between a few groups, eventually hooking up with 2knees, powhunter, jonnypoach and andyzee. I think this was around the time I lost downhill04. Anyway, Jonny is pure entertainment. andyzee did a good job keeping up with the bump nuts. Eventually hooked up with wa-loaf, reefer/Chris and co. Took a break for lunch and saw dmc at the base. Another interesting moment was when Austin, Marc and crew arrive. Just as I was about to introduce them to dmc, here comes koreshot who plows right into Marc in true gaper-like fashion. These two do indeed have a special connection. :lol:

After lunch, 2knees, jonny, powhunter and I hooked up with dmc for several runs on Minya. Good to get some lift and slide time with ya D. It seems we normally get separated. Eventually hooked up with several others included ta&idaho, JimG. and the Evils. ssudha17 had that big grin on that later run down Hellgate which confirms to me he's hooked. Finished off with a few more runs with Grassi and Brian, and then ta&idaho and JimG down Cliff and Ike, Ike was so nice still that Jim convinced me to do it again with him and ta&idaho.

I skied hard today starting at 8:45, choking down a 30 minute lunch, and finishing up at 3:45. Kind of glad for F Lift or I would have been out of gas by 2 pm. I was wobbly most of the afternoon, but never felt totally spent. Awesome hard charging day with a massive 30+ strong AZ crew. I tried to put in some time with as many folks as possible. Sorry if I missed skiing with any of you.

Anyway, I think everyone from the roll call thread made it out:

1. 2knees
2. Andyzee
3. Awf170
4. bvibert
5. chris (w/reefer)
6. Eski
7. Grassi21
8. Greg
9. HAWKSHOT99 (maybe)
10. JimG.
11. jonnypoach
12. Justin (w/Marc)
13. KingSlug
14. koreshot
15. KrisSkis (aka SisterSlug)
16. Marc
17. Mark (w/Marc)
18. MR.Evil
19. MRGisevil
20. peter (w/reefer)
21. powhunter
22. reefer
23. ssudha17
24. trtaylor
25. wa-loaf
26. James
27. Cheez Blintz
28. Llamborghinii
29. 180 and family
30. Ta&Idaho

Including dmc and jamesdeluxe, and perhaps a few others. Again, I hope the Mass long distance travelers had fun and now have a bit of appreciation for much discussed Hunter Mountain. Funky little hill but always a ton of fun.

bvibert

Staff member
Awesome day! Must sleep now. More later... Video in a day or two. I did get one of 180's boys on video, but I'm not sure which one. I think it was Shea (sp?)

JimG.

Staff member
That was a big group of skiers!

Skied with a few smaller groups, some folks I didn't even know showed up until I read this.

Really a great day...charged around up until the very end.

Spent after these past 2 days. Heading up tomorrow afternoon to beat the storm for Sunday morning.

koreshot

It was good seeing everyone out today. I didn't get to spend too much time skiing with the larger group... spent most of the day practicing my bump skiing.

Sounds like I missed a good wipeout from Austin. I guess its a matter of time.. that kid skis too fast and out of control. He should really think about slowing it down a bit...

Greg

Staff member
that kid skis too fast and out of control. He should really think about slowing it down a bit...

There's this old saying about a pot and black kettle...or something like that...

;) :lol:

wa-loaf

Ta&idaho did you find your helmet?

Reefer, thanks for driving! You guys were a blast, we'll have to see if we can get a Magic or MRG trip in later on.

trtaylor

... but discovered Drop In that had really great snow and wasn't scratched off in the afternoon.

Loong trip home, didn't get in until 8:30!

Drop In was last run of the day for me and I was surprised to see it had not been skied much during the day.

Long trip home for me, too. Friday night traffic in NJ sucks.

krisskis

OMG!!! I am spent!! Took Slug and I 2 1/2 hours to get up there....4 to get home...traffic on long island and in westchester sucks. I have to say, i met a great group of people today. I had a blast skiing with everyone. Have to say thanks to Grassi, Brian and Waloaf for letting me hang out with y'all after Slug dumped me. I knew there was no way i was keeping up with that group for the day. Oh and Suddah too!! You are all a great group of guys. Was nice to put some faces to the names i see on here.

Andy...as for my funny as hell yardsale...haha...you should have been there...it was a classic. I just hooked up the video on the big ass 62" TV for the family to see...the laughs i got here were even better than on the mountain. Kids...ya gotta love 'em...my son damn near fell off the chairlaughing and saying he wishes he was there just to see that fall. I am still getting snow out of my clothes!! As for putting that video up...hmmm...not sure...do i really want to relive it over and over again?!?! Maybe....but i probably will. As soon as i get it online i will let y'all know.

Again....great meeting all of you...hope to see you all again soon.

dmc

I hooked up with dmc for several runs on Minya. Good to get some lift and slide time with ya D. It seems we normally get separated.

It was a good day... My legs are hurtin...