• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windham Mountain - 12/11/2004

L

LordHedgie

Date(s) Skied:

11 and 12 December, 2004

Resort or Ski Area:

Windham Mountain, NY

Conditions:

No natural snow. Only Wooly Bear (bunny), What's Next (green), Upper & Lower Whistler (Blue), and Upper and Lower Wolverine (Double Black / Blue respectively) were open. Being my first day of the year, I didn't try the double black, and there was no other way to get to Lower Wolverine, so I didn't get to try it.

Both days there were bare spots, especially on the lower third of the mountain, but they were well marked and (mostly) avoidable. Occaisionally someone would kick a rock fifty feet downslope from a bare patch, so you had to be on the lookout.

Saturday was nice frozen granular, temperatures in the lower 40's. Conditions were good for the weather. Slopes were a bit crowded at times, since most people were forced onto Whistler.

Saturday night we had rain turn to snow, and I went up expecting dust on crust. Whistler was rivers of ice, with lots of death cookies to boot. Not wishing to risk life and limb to cope with these conditions, I gave What's Next a try. They had the new automatic snowmaking system on, and I have to give them credit. Despite a fairly large number of people skiing down What's Next, they managed to keep a good layer of powder on the slope. As long as you didn't mind skiing through a blizzard, of course....

Trip Report:

I stayed at the Winwood Inn. Affordable and decent place. The bathtub wouldn't hold water very well, but we did have a balcony overlooking the slopes. All in all, a pretty good place.

The trip could have been a lot more fun if more terrain were open, but with this weather you take what you can get. It was my first turns of the year, and a lot of fun.

Although I didn't take a lesson, the instructors were very nice. One even gave me a free lesson when he saw me struggling in a particularly steep section of Whistler (hey, I didn't say I was a good skier!).

If you head up to Windham, I suggest making the drive to Albany to the C.W. Evans Brewery at the old pump house -- well worth the trip. They've got a nice fireplace you can cozy up to while drinking your beer.

Final judgement -- Better than staying in sunny green Maryland.