• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Conditions now?

Mauleflyer

On Wednesday I am heading up with the family for four days of skiing at Okemo. It's only raining in Philly (what's new here), how's it looking for later in the week? I was really worried until I saw the snow today on the weather channel. Are they getting what was predicted?

gladerider

i've been checking since early this morning since i am heading up to okemo friday evening.
so far they are calling good temps through friday. the forecast for the friday storm is kinda mixed. it could be either all snow or sleet. they say that the friday storm can carry some warmth from its southeast origin. crossing my fingers, too.

would appreciate it if you report on the condition once you get up there...

have fun....

Euler

So. Vt. Conditions`

I live in Jacksonville, about 1 hr south of Okemo. I skiied Mt. Snow today and the 4-5 inches of new snow on top of the groomed trails was great. I'm always hearing that Okemo grooms everything and grooms it well, so I think with this new snow and the low temps predicted this week you'll be in good shape for your trip. Enjoy!

gladerider

accuweather is forecasting a foot of snow thursday night in Ludlow. i hope they are right.

skizoo

On Wednesday I am heading up with the family for four days of skiing at Okemo. It's only raining in Philly (what's new here), how's it looking for later in the week? I was really worried until I saw the snow today on the weather channel. Are they getting what was predicted?

I'm at Okemo and we had about 4-6" today.. a little less than forecast but not bad.. considering the recent heat wave, you'll probably be surprised at just how much snow is still around..

Condtions were pretty nice today.. And I expect it will get better as the week goes on..

Another storm is forecast for Thursday night Friday, may be all snow or might have a little mixing.. but then it's going to get cold, should be pretty good the rest of January

I didn't have my camera on mountain today but I've attd a pic from one of the lower lots at Jackson Gore.

gladerider

awesome picture skizoo. thanx for the update.
check the accuweathert this morning and they changed the a foot forecast thursday night to 3.3 inches.

based on your picture the condition does look great considering the heat last week.

have fun...

bobbutts

snowfall from this last storm gets deeper as you head east in NE
Okemo 4-6"
Sunapee reported 8-10"
Pat's Peak 12"
Shawnee Peak 16"

skizoo

SkiDog

I get my ski weather at http://www.bestskiweather.com

it's a paid service but they forecast specifically for ski areas with a primary focus on New England, it's about $80 for the season, but well worth it if you can afford it IMO..

the info they give is pretty detailed..

you pay for weather forecasts???

Wow...I have this bridge in manhattan i'd like to sell...you interested?

M

skizoo

you pay for weather forecasts???

Wow...I have this bridge in manhattan i'd like to sell...you interested?

M

A Bridge..? Nahhh

But standard weather forecasts often have little to do with weather at ski areas, especially in certain parts of the country.. It's a bit more than just a weather forecast..

tcharron

snowfall from this last storm gets deeper as you head east in NE
Okemo 4-6"
Sunapee reported 8-10"
Pat's Peak 12"
Shawnee Peak 16"

I'd say more East, not North East. Sunapee is actually south east or Okemo, Pat's is South East of both. :-D

Even better is, Vermont got a little, NH got a NICE amount, and Maine got Dumped. :-D

snoseek

www.snowforecast.com is also good for ski resort weather.

I go to this site frequently-have you noticed they tend to be a bit optimistic? Also they should really just forecast by region instead of breaking it down by resort, I think this is maybe what they do but I'm not sure. Good site anyways.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Skied Okemo yesterday today and it was very nice. They've managed to recover nicely from last week's January thaw. Expecting a big dump on Friday, so future conditions look promising.

tcharron

www.snowforecast.com is also good for ski resort weather.

I can't say for certail, but I'm pretty sure they just use the city/state of the ski areas they have listed and grab the forcast from some weather reporting service. They are VERY specific about data for ski areas which I hardly believe they'd put effort into actually monitoring.

tcharron

I can't say for certail, but I'm pretty sure they just use the city/state of the ski areas they have listed and grab the forcast from some weather reporting service. They are VERY specific about data for ski areas which I hardly believe they'd put effort into actually monitoring.

For example:

http://www.snowforecast.com/GraniteGorgeSkiArea

Better yet, I just did a comparison. ALL the ski areas in NH have the same forcast text. The temps are different, but as I said, I suspect it's pulled from some common data source.

loafer89

For example:

http://www.snowforecast.com/GraniteGorgeSkiArea

Better yet, I just did a comparison. ALL the ski areas in NH have the same forcast text. The temps are different, but as I said, I suspect it's pulled from some common data source.

It looks that way to me as well. Weather Underground has nearly a carbon copy of the forecast that NOAA puts out. I do however like the local weather station reports as they help me find the weather/temperature for a specific locale and not just a reading from a big city.

tcharron

I was at Pats Peak this morning for the adult snowboard clinic and it was very nice, packed powder and powder on all trails ..nice day jibbing ..bumps and my switch riding is coming along nicely.

Have you gotten down Hurricane yet? Last I'd read was the.. Terrain Park approach. :-D