• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 1/15/08

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Tuesday Night 1/15/08

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: PP

Trip Report:

Just a 2 hour jaunt to Wachusett tonight. Place was packed. Conditions were variable before grooming with a lot of scraped spots but had better PP after grooming though lots of corn in some places.

10th: Moguls are gone for now. Right side was the best place to be on the headwall as the left was all corn and had a few scraped spots. Lower had great PP the entire way, some of the best I've skied all year.

Smith: Got first tracks down it after grooming which was fun and fast. Afterwards, the headwall developed tons of corn and the snow was weirdly packed to the left with potholes abound. Lower was like 10th... perfect PP. Polar Express was in full speed with 10 minute lines most of the night (even the singles line was 5-6 minutes for some time and was beyond the snowmaking shack).

Look Ma: The terrain park has been temporarily neutered, leaving some mounds and a couple rails. Still had some fun jumping the mounds. The half pipe is open, but is in terrible shape at the moment. Minuteman also had a long line like Polar, but line management was a huge improvement over the last few times I was there.

That's all I skied as I mainly did 10th and Smith for the couple hours that I was there. I'll be back Thursday around noon and maybe Friday night depending on weather. I'll also be at Mount Snow for MLK.

loafer89

My son and I had alot of fun in the half-pipe yesterday and I thought it was in good shape, but then again that was after 8" of snow.

We could see the ugly and old frozen snow under the new stuff around the lift towers in certain spots, so there must have been alot of ice before yesterdays snowfall.

Mark_151

I was there tonite too, from 4 to 6PM. I was staying mainly in the Vickery Bowl and the Minuteman trails, as I was trying to re-learn how to tele ski after being almost exclusively fixed-heel most of the season. It seems to have paid off -- I noticed a marked improvement in my tele skiing after some weirdness at the beginning. I ventured up onto Conifer and Smith a little later, but found them a little too scraped to do effective tele turns on. The conditions were quite good, but as you said, the place was packed. Checking the webcam at 8PM, it looks like it's slowing down. I may try a late trip tomorrow night.

awf170

I was there today too, though a bit earlier, 11am-4pm. Was pretty pissed about the moguls being taken down, but the website still saying they were there. Without the bumps, it was basically going to be a worthless trip to Wawa. Figuring I better just make the best of it I decided to demo some tele gear. Wow, so much fun. Now I have to buy a tele set-up though which is sort of a problem... stupid expensive hobbies.

Mark_151

I was there today too, though a bit earlier, 11am-4pm. Was pretty pissed about the moguls being taken down, but the website still saying they were there. Without the bumps, it was basically going to be a worthless trip to Wawa. Figuring I better just make the best of it I decided to demo some tele gear. Wow, so much fun. Now I have to buy a tele set-up though which is sort of a problem... stupid expensive hobbies.

What's your foot size, Austin?