• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Copper Mountain, CO

Dr Skimeister

Date(s) Skied: 1/11-1/14, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Copper Mountain, CO

Conditions: Powder/Packed Powder

Trip Report: I tripped to Copper with my 15 year old daughter, a high beginner/low intermediate snowboarder. The Dad-daughter bond time was as important as was the skiing for me, so I forced myself to spend the largest majority of my time on trail my daughter could navigate.

We arrived on Thursday evening to snow falling as we ventured out I-70 to Summit County. Friday morning found 6-8" of new from overnight. Friday night brought another 4-5" of fresh. Runs on groomed trails were the more common choices for our 4 days on the mountain. On a few occasions I was able to do runs on parallel trails to the flattened stuff that my daughter was most comfortable with. I even was able to convince her to sample a few chopped up/small bump trails occasionally, hearing only the rarest of "Oh, dad......"

All in all, an excellent trip, even if the skiing was limited by my partner. :)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Date(s) Skied: 1/11-1/14, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Copper Mountain, CO

Conditions: Powder/Packed Powder

Trip Report: I tripped to Copper with my 15 year old daughter, a high beginner/low intermediate snowboarder. The Dad-daughter bond time was as important as was the skiing for me, so I forced myself to spend the largest majority of my time on trail my daughter could navigate.

We arrived on Thursday evening to snow falling as we ventured out I-70 to Summit County. Friday morning found 6-8" of new from overnight. Friday night brought another 4-5" of fresh. Runs on groomed trails were the more common choices for our 4 days on the mountain. On a few occasions I was able to do runs on parallel trails to the flattened stuff that my daughter was most comfortable with. I even was able to convince her to sample a few chopped up/small bump trails occasionally, hearing only the rarest of "Oh, dad......"

All in all, an excellent trip, even if the skiing was limited by my partner. :)

Sounds like a great trip. I loved copper when i was there like 17-18 years ago before some recent additions and changes. And don't knock those days with limited terrain due to your partner. Some of the best days I've had the last couple of years have been on greens with my 5 y.o. I'm looking forward to a trip like yours when she's 15!!!

(Although, I admit, I'm thinking about picking up a tele setup to help ease the time on those greens!)

highpeaksdrifter

Sounds like a great trip. I loved copper when i was there like 17-18 years ago before some recent additions and changes.

I love Copper, IMO it is the best of the Summit County resorts, although Abasin is my personal favorite. I was there in the 80's too, when you could drive right up to some of the lifts. It has changed alot.

snoseek

I'm going to Copper right now. I pretty sure I was there last friday as well-fresh snow, maybe a little denseer than usual. I like Copper alot because it seems a little more mellow than the rest of I-70 except for LL. Superbee is one of the best chairs i've ever been on, as far as getting lots of vert.

SkiDog

I love Copper, IMO it is the best of the Summit County resorts, although Abasin is my personal favorite. I was there in the 80's too, when you could drive right up to some of the lifts. It has changed alot.

I agree..I think aside from A-Basin, which holds a special place in my heart, the Copper is great skiing..low key vibe...good terrain.

M