• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Bump or Bust Mogul Competition - 3/16/2008

JimG.

Staff member
B takin the gloves off.

Dont worry about brian, with all his head bobbin and hip checkin, he looks more like a rooster feeding than a human trying to ski bumps.

Pat, that is brutally funny.

Sorry B.

Greg

Staff member
Dual format is sick. My TiVo caught this event from earlier this month at Deer Valley. Just a little something to get you guys pumped:

WCers are rad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think watching dual format for the pros is pretty cool, but I think amateur competitions are best in a solo format. It takes a lot of experience to be able to block out the other skier and just focus on your own skiing. IMO solo format produces more impressive runs in lower levels of competition. Also, less pressure with people tending to have more fun.

Greg

Staff member
I think watching dual format for the pros is pretty cool, but I think amateur competitions are best in a solo format. It takes a lot of experience to be able to block out the other skier and just focus on your own skiing. IMO solo format produces more impressive runs in lower levels of competition. Also, less pressure with people tending to have more fun.

I tend to agree, but it is what it is. It's still going to be a blast. Again, my approach is going to be to ski cleanly and not psyche out if (when ;) ) my opponent pulls away. My goal is just to advance a few times, quite honestly. That, and to support the event so the mogul philosophy they've adopted sticks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I tend to agree, but it is what it is. It's still going to be a blast. Again, my approach is going to be to ski cleanly and not psyche out if (when ;) ) my opponent pulls away. My goal is just to advance a few times, quite honestly. That, and to support the event so the mogul philosophy they've adopted sticks.

I would do the same. Perhaps that commitment will carry momentum for you into next season and have a weekly competition. Friday night one run comp, winner gets a burger and a beer at the mountain lodge. Then perhaps a bigger prize for the season series winner.

highpeaksdrifter

Who/what determines the seedings?

Greg

Staff member
Who/what determines the seedings?

There's at least one judge on board at this point. The guy's name is Dave Lemelin and he's judged bump comps at Mount Snow, Killington and Okemo.

highpeaksdrifter

There's at least one judge on board at this point. The guy's name is Dave Lemelin and he's judged bump comps at Mount Snow, Killington and Okemo.

I get that, but who determines who goes against who to start and then how it progresses. For example, you don't want the top 2 guys going against each other in the first round.

Duel format is tricker then just being judged and scored one at a time. I get it's just for fun so maybe just luck of the draw?

bvibert

Staff member
I'm guessing the initial seeding will be just be luck of the draw, but I haven't heard anything definitive...

Greg

Staff member
I'm guessing the initial seeding will be just be luck of the draw, but I haven't heard anything definitive...

I would imagine it's going to be pretty casual. Anyway, I got some detail about the course. They want to do one kicker on the steep section and another as the trail merges with Exhibition. They are also going to bring the bumps almost halfway down Ex. :-o

This is not going to be your standard FIS style course. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It's going to be looooong. Better work on getting your wind up. This almost sounds like a bump endurance competition.... :lol:

I think part of the goal is to make the competition visible from the base. Anyway, it should be interesting and it's no doubt going to be a helluva lot of fun! :spread:

MR. evil

They are also going to bring the bumps almost halfway down Ex.:
:blink:

Ani idea when they are going to have the bumps from the base of temptor down Ex seeded? I was having enough trouble making it down temptor with out stopping (or falling). I am going to need a couple of nights on the full course before I decide to race or not.

Greg

Staff member

Ani idea when they are going to have the bumps from the base of temptor down Ex seeded? I was having enough trouble making it down temptor with out stopping (or falling). I am going to need a couple of nights on the full course before I decide to race or not.

After the Senior Games & Special Olympics which I believe are this week.

2knees

I would imagine it's going to be pretty casual. Anyway, I got some detail about the course. They want to do one kicker on the steep section and another as the trail merges with Exhibition. They are also going to bring the bumps almost halfway down Ex. :-o

This is not going to be your standard FIS style course. The more I think about it, the more I like it. It's going to be looooong. Better work on getting your wind up. This almost sounds like a bump endurance competition.... :lol:

I think part of the goal is to make the competition visible from the base. Anyway, it should be interesting and it's no doubt going to be a helluva lot of fun! :spread:

that is one long course. Lots of flats in there too. this should be real interesting.

Greg

Staff member
that is one long course. Lots of flats in there too. this should be real interesting.

My impression too. Apparently, they want to improve the pitch by manipulating the snow at the top of Exhibition. I still don't know how much of a change you can really make though. Anyway, perhaps once it gets warm, some better lines and troughs will form in the flat area. Another concern I have is the beginners killing any decent lines that show up on Exhibition. My suggestion for the course was what we talked about last night. I would even forgo one of the kickers if there isn't room for two. Anyway start working on the endurance... :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
My impression too. Apparently, they want to improve the pitch by manipulating the snow at the top of Exhibition. I still don't know how much of a change you can really make though. Anyway, perhaps once it gets warm, some better lines and troughs will form in the flat area. Another concern I have is the beginners killing any decent lines that show up on Exhibition. My suggestion for the course was what we talked about last night. I would even forgo one of the kickers if there isn't room for two. Anyway start working on the endurance... :lol:

As far as the bumps going down Ex are concerned, the last I heard they were planning on fencing them off so that you could only hit them by coming down Temptor..

Greg

Staff member
As far as the bumps going down Ex are concerned, the last I heard they were planning on fencing them off so that you could only hit them by coming down Temptor..

Now that would definitely help!

bvibert

Staff member

Just do it! It's all for fun. So what if you fall? I bet lots of folks do, I wouldn't be surprised if I did...