• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

All time trail design screw ups.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Profile at Cannon. All of it snow ends up in the trees. Thanks to the highway department changing the designed trail to be like Cannon or Ravine and wind it's way down. What a blunder.

I agree, that trail is deceptive. It's often tough to pick a good line and it shouldn't end right at the lift.

Also, Gunstock has its share of old blunders. Smith, the learner's trail (only green from that lift) funnels everybody around a 90 degree turn that scrapes off quickly. Then it remains narrow until it's flat for a short stretch. The bottom is wide and constant-pitch which is fine but the top is discouraging to a beginner. Had I not picked up snowboarding there after 25+ years of skiing, I would have never realized this. The blue trail next to it is much easier.

The Tiger lift has a horrible off-load area, especially for snowboarders. The flats just above it are crappy too.

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
How about the infamous (especially early season) Bunny Buster/Great Northern intersection? I don't ski K anymore but that was horrific in my memory.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The trend seems to be the wide open straight trails and the horrid intersections. Personally, the wide open straight trails are the pits. I can see somewhat wide. The front five at Cannon are wide but respectfully so and they do have some curve to them. Profile, thumbs down, just a horrid trail with terrible conditions most days.

eatskisleep

Jay used to have a trail, right of the tram to the right, now they just close it and keep it roped off. Never held snow, on ledge, wind blown like crazy. Anyone remember the name... I feel like it is at the tip of my tongue, I just can't remember it.

SLyardsale

Double Bitter is great and Sugarloaf has a few good old style trails left. But what they did to Widowmaker was a travesty.

What they did to upper Wedge (aka White Nitro) is worse.

1-16-08nitrosnow1small.jpg

Also, widening of Narrow Guage just doesn't stop.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm curious why the repeated straight shot wide expert boulevard has been tried repeatedly all over New England. In almost every situation, save for a couple, they end up being wind blown slabs of ice where the only time the conditions are decent occur during a heavy snow storm void of wind.

wintersyndrome

Although I'm a fan of most of the terrain at Gore, there really has to be something done about the "cloud flats, re-cut it, re grade it whatever, that flat section needs to be reassessed.

Love the idea of a totally gladed paradise though...wonder how long before some terrain is opened up here in the east that is targeted for that sort of development.

I wouldnt mind a mid-station on the slidebrook quad with perhaps a T-bar surface lift to gain some vert in slidebrook- though I bet there are MRV/SB purists, environmentalists, bears and deer that would disagree with me.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Jay used to have a trail, right of the tram to the right, now they just close it and keep it roped off. Never held snow, on ledge, wind blown like crazy. Anyone remember the name... I feel like it is at the tip of my tongue, I just can't remember it.

I believe this is the answer you are looking for...

Northwest Passage at Jay is a terrible train because it doesn't hold snow and the top has never been open in thrity plus visits to Jay.

The meandering green trails at Killington are another pet peave

millerm277

Another vote for Double Dipper at Killington. Superstar and Ovation as well for being far too wide.

snoseek

again I'll vote for profile, and there was no reason to get rid of the t-bars, they beat hanging in the wind on a cold day. I don't really get oz at sunday river, it could have been soooo much better.

skibum9995

Profile at Cannon. All of it snow ends up in the trees. Thanks to the highway department changing the designed trail to be like Cannon or Ravine and wind it's way down. What a blunder.
This is exactly what came to mind when I read the thread title.

skibum9995

I believe you are talking about Sis Boom Bah, which has been permanently closed and taken off the map. I've skied over 100 days at Jay and saw it open maybe 2 or 3 times.

deadheadskier

Staff member
again I'll vote for profile, and there was no reason to get rid of the t-bars, they beat hanging in the wind on a cold day. I don't really get oz at sunday river, it could have been soooo much better.

Agreed on Oz.

and perfect example of a trail that could be re-claimed. Rope of a section here or there for several years replanting some trees. Maybe through some boulders in here or there.

It will never be the same as it once was due to grading, but it could be helped along.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldnt mind a mid-station on the slidebrook quad with perhaps a T-bar surface lift to gain some vert in slidebrook- though I bet there are MRV/SB purists, environmentalists, bears and deer that would disagree with me.

To my knowledge, the master plan was always to develop Slidebrook and connect North and South. It would be amazing if it was and probably cement Sugarbush as the largest area in the east over Killington. But, never going to happen.

It's my understanding that the Slide Brook Express and guided BC tours in the area was a compromise.