• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Sunapee - 12/28/04

hammer

Date(s) Skied: 12/28/04

Resort or Ski Area: Mt. Sunapee, NH

Conditions: Packed Powder, a little scraped up late in the day

Trip Report: My family and I braved the crowds and went to Mt. Sunapee during the holiday week. We managed to get out early enough to show up before 9 AM (not as early as the diehards, but not too bad when you have to get 2 kids out the door).

After getting our passes and suiting up, my son and I started off with some runs from the South Peak beginner chair while my daugther went with my wife to get her rentals. Conditions in the morning were very good but it was quite cold. Liftlines at South Peak were not bad early on, but it was a challenge dodging around people taking lessons.

By the time my wife got her rentals and she and my daughter made their way back over to the beginner area, the lines at the magic carpet (my daughter refuses to go onto lifts) was getting quite long. My son and I went down the bunny slope once and he got tired of the line, so we did one more run from the South Peak chair and went back to the lodge for an early lunch. By this time the crowds were getting pretty bad.

After lunch, we went over to the North Peak triple, and from there, we cut over Toboggan Chute to Lower Blast Off. Conditions were nice with plenty of packed powder to get an edge on.

We then went up to the summit for a few runs off of the Ridge trails (the easiest ones from the summit). The first few runs were nice; although you did have to get around some people, the conditions were still good. Near the end of the day, however, the conditions were starting to get a bit scraped up. For each run, the lift lines were not bad at all; max wait time was maybe 5 minutes.

Overall, we had a great time. I'd like to try to get back when it's not so crowded.