• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which skis to bring to Utah?

Puck it

I am leaving for UT on 2/28 for three days. I am thinking about bringing two pairs with me. The question is which ones.

The Icelantic Nomads are differently going.

The question is should I bring the Supershapes(160cm) or the Apache Recons(174cm)?

Or only bring the Nomads.

jack97

Never skied out west but my inlaws have; bring your boots and rent.

SkiDog

If you can handle to icelantics on hardpack just bring them..

Fatter IS better out here.

M

MarkC

Just bring the nomads, chances are you will not need anything else. If you do you can always rent or even better demo.

SkiDog

There is no hardpack in Utah this season. And you certainly won't need any edges on any "hardpack" that there might be in Utah. The Fatter the better.

GEEZ thanks for filling me in on the hardpack....it not like I live here or anything...WOW...

Dude..you DO KNOW its going to warm up this weekend considerably....with a huge hig pressure ridge building...that means HIGH SUN during the day and MELT and SOFTENING...come night time...its going to FREEEZE UP LIKE NO OTHER....now if that happens while the original poster is here hes going to HATE the icelantics...

Why dont you think before you talk ok??? Thanks.

M

dmc

i guess he showed you... :) Looks like the doggie is trying to make you his bitch..

Puck it

:spread:
GEEZ thanks for filling me in on the hardpack....it not like I live here or anything...WOW...

Dude..you DO KNOW its going to warm up this weekend considerably....with a huge hig pressure ridge building...that means HIGH SUN during the day and MELT and SOFTENING...come night time...its going to FREEEZE UP LIKE NO OTHER....now if that happens while the original poster is here hes going to HATE the icelantics...

M

Your hardpack is not boiler plate like out here. The Nomads are not great on our hardpack. I think they maybe ok on your hard pack though. I was thinking of renting some other skis out there. I called a couple of shops but no one has the Head Supershape Magnums. Any suggestions of who might have these for demos?

SkiDog

:spread:

Your hardpack is not boiler plate like out here. The Nomads are not great on our hardpack. I think they maybe ok on your hard pack though. I was thinking of renting some other skis out there. I called a couple of shops but no one has the Head Supershape Magnums. Any suggestions of who might have these for demos?

Hmmm unfortunately I dont know what shops might carry those particular skis...maybe try the Lifthouse.

You are correct we don't get the boilerplate, but TRUST me...after a good sunny couple days..the iced over stuff is NASTY...its all about knwing the compass and skiing aspects at that point...nothing worse than heading towards something you think is going to be soft and have it be a washboard....

Bring the Nomads and rent something else if you need it...I might even have something in my quiver I could hook you up with.

Let me know when you're out and where you're skiing maybe we'll make some turns.

M

kingslug

I skied Snowbird last year when it was super hard on the front side but much softer in the bowls...where the sun was. A mid fat would work well in those conditions like a B83...I used them 3 weeks ago and they where pretty good in anything but the real deep stuff...like what skidog and friends took me into. In the bowls of snowbird they worked very well for me. 84 mm under foot.

Puck it

How about a pair of Scotty Bob Power Storms

I tried the Lifthouse. Let me know if you think of another. We are staying in Midvale and will try and ski BCC and LCC. Most likely Alta and the Bird and then Solitude. If we can not get up in to the Canyons then Snowbasin. I will PM you when we arrive.

I skied the Nomads a couple of weeks ago at WV in NH. There was about 6 or 7 inches of new on top of hard pack aka ice. They were great until the freshies were pushed around. I skied one run too much on them before i switched to the Supershapes, Nice big bruise on my thigh after hitting some "hard pack". They are otherwise great. I have used them 5 times so far this year.

We plan on staying to the North facing sides of things if it is warm. We did this last year JHMR and hit some good lines. Thanks.:daffy:

NESkibum

I would bring the Recons as well if I were you. Just got back Monday and was skiing waist deep on my Mantras which were great. I also brought my trouble makers and skied them the one day is didn't snow. They were perfect for the bumps but in the deeper snow the Mantras were better.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

M

While your bark may be correct about this weekend's weather, do you have a magic crystal ball that shows you what the weather will be 3 weeks out? I think you need to go chill in the corner with a dog biscuit or bone and mellow out for a bit.

SkiDog

While your bark may be correct about this weekend's weather, do you have a magic crystal ball that shows you what the weather will be 3 weeks out? I think you need to go chill in the corner with a dog biscuit or bone and mellow out for a bit.

It would be like me telling you how the conditions are in Killington right now. Im not there so how could I know.

While I don't know what the weather will bring 3 weeks out..I can with total confidence say that IF theres a coupel sunny days while this person is out here...they may hate the skis they bring if they are total pow specific skis...

i LIVE HERE...dont tell me how the conditions are or what they might be...I see them on a weekly basis...

M

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It would be like me telling you how the conditions are in Killington right now. Im not there so how could I know.

While I don't know what the weather will bring 3 weeks out..I can with total confidence say that IF theres a coupel sunny days while this person is out here...they may hate the skis they bring if they are total pow specific skis...

i LIVE HERE...dont tell me how the conditions are or what they might be...I see them on a weekly basis...

M

I was there last week, skied 6 straight days and have skied there (alta) for years. And I'll "tell you" whatever I please.

SkiDog

I was there last week, skied 6 straight days and have skied there (alta) for years. And I'll "tell you" whatever I please.

Ummm and ive got 33 in at alta/bird this year...I think I know SLIGHLY MORE about the conditions than you...as well as future conditions......again..I LIVE HERE...I dont just visit for 6 days....

Wow a whole 6 days huh??? you're an expert on Utah snowpack I guess....

Talk to you soon...

Fools...gotta love it.

m

Greg

Staff member
Fools...gotta love it.

Your internet tough guy rap is getting old. Isn't there a Western specific ski forum where you can irritate people...? :roll: