• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Butternut - 01/01/05

skijay

b]Resort:[/b] Ski Butternut

Date Skied: 01/01/05

Conditions: Low 40’s, sunny with a breeze picking up and clouds rolling in by noon, frozen hard pack that softened up as the sun hit the trail.

Trip Report:

The parking lot at 8am was not very crowded and had no problem with a front row spot in the lower lot by the beginner lifts. As I hit the quad for the first run there was a group of about 20 waiting for the first run. The first run was on the packed down corduroy with a slight glazing on it. I think it rained on New Year’s Eve after the trails were groomed.

As the sun rose and hit the trails the snow softened up quite a bit. There were some brown spots coming through. After doing about 5 runs consisting of Lucifer’s Leap to Lower Applejack and the Whip down Main Street, Nut Hatch, Twist, I was surprised as each time I arrived at the Top Flight Quad, there were no lines. I continued doing the above combination of trails and at 10:00 am, still no lines. They had the corrals all set up, but no one to corral.

While riding on the TFQ, you could hear the stream at medium force and with the combination of the absence of snow off of the trails, the sun, and the warm temperature, it felt like March. I had the opportunity to ride the much needed new quad lift. The only time there was a slight line there was from the ski school and some racers as there was the slalom set up on Main Street.

By the time I did my last run at noon there were more people. I was still surprised at the low amount of people before noon. Upper Applejack, the main trail that the Granny’s double services and the trails that the Overbrook triple service were not opened yet. We need a snow storm soon.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks Tim. Are you on skis now or still on the 'blades?