• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/5-1/6 Storm Discussion Thread

skijay

Horrific commute to Hartford this morning, before the sleet. I had no problem with the roads by my house (unplowed) and slick. In downtown Hartford getting up a slight hill was a challenge.

I could feel the drive wheels slipping and the power moving to a wheel that could grip. I think the problem is the 35psi in my snow tires. I let the car sit for 2 hrs in the parking garage after I got to work and and checked the pressure. I lowered it to manufacturer's 30psi.

I will see on my evening commute if this helps.

I had 6 inches of snow at my house @ 7am

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
from what i've seen of the forcasts and weather maps, i think there is definitely going to be change over through at least southern VT and NH, with all snow falling north of say the lakes region in NH. well, that's my prediction at least. however, highest snow fall totals are expected in so. VT and NH despite the expected change over to sleet. should be interesting. definitely gonna get better snow the further you drive north this weekend.

Greg

Staff member
That snowline is holding on just North of the CT/MA border:

SOURCE
bgm+bgwv.gif

SOURCE

Come on.....Please spare the Northern Berks!

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
It's looking great up here in Central Vermont. Finally having some fresh snow on the ground and falling fast and furious practically makes me want to weep. (oh, and throw on the skis, but that has to wait until tomorrow).

I only wish we didn't have that threat of rain looming middle of next week.

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
230 pm update from Mount Wash Valley:

been snowing since 1130 or so and have about 2 inches so far. Coming down steady at this point as greg's radar pic shows. I wouldn't mind a touch of sleet on the top to give us an insta-base. Just keep the glaze off the top of it eh?

From the radar, looks like 6"+ shoudn't be tough up here...temp still hovering around 20.

Gotta work tomorrow :cry: But wait, that means I can ski a few. :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
:( (Sigh) Someone please say that next week's warm up and rain is not going to happen!!! This is getting pretty bad...already heading into the middle of January and snow is scant.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I put on the shoes and took a walk through the property, down to the river. and up along the greenway. We've got a bit less than 2# so far, but it feels as though it's just getting started. It's a good snow for what we need, fairly sticky, but not overly wet. It's the perfect base on base to hold some powder next week.

(Do you hear that snow gods? I said POWDER, not rain showers.)

jimme

Downtown Albany- 1 block from Capitol building.

Snow changed to sleet/freezing rain about 11:00 am

Currently at 3:40 PM there is no precip at all.

It's all slush here now and beginning to freeze up.

Jimme

ctenidae

Boston's been raining since about 12.00. It's just cold enough to keep teh puddles too slushy to drain. Nothing like stepping in a huge lake of slushy sand water.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
:( (Sigh) Someone please say that next week's warm up and rain is not going to happen!!! This is getting pretty bad...already heading into the middle of January and snow is scant.

I was just thinking the same thing. I was going to go to Killington on the 14th for a 3 days but with that weather report I might just wait a few more weeks.

Zand

We got about 6-8 inches here in Leicester and it's heavy freezing rain right now. It only took about 2 hours for my snowmobile to get 1/2" of ice on it.

Now we watch Saturday's storm.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
It's now sleeting heavily here... :angry:

That was a really dissapointing turn of events yesterday. I had already called in sick to go skiing by the time it turned to sleet/freezing r@!n :angry: I went skiing anyway... I've never had so much ice form on my jacket... :roll:

hammer

bvibert said:
That was a really dissapointing turn of events yesterday. I had already called in sick to go skiing by the time it turned to sleet/freezing r@!n :angry: I went skiing anyway... I've never had so much ice form on my jacket... :roll:
Where did you go? Did the conditions hold up OK?

I'm seeing lots of reports in NH of packed powder conditions today, but if they got any of the ice we had in MA last night I'd definitely take those reports with a grain of salt...

bvibert

Staff member
I went to Ski Sundown which is my local mountain here in CT. I would have liked to go further north, but I work there so I didn't have to pay anything and I didn't feel like driving too far in the frozen mess on the road. The conditions were pretty good, though they were getting crusty by the time I left at around 1:30. I wouldn't be too surprised if the NH guys had packed powder...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Forecasts are now saying 1-3 inches of snow for Northern New Hampshire and 3-6 inches for Mass/Southern NH. Good weekend to get out and enjoy the new, long overdue, snow!! :wink: