• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2/22/08 (Afternoon and Night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 2/22/2008, 3:20 - 10:20 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, CT

Conditions: Powder, powder bumps. Dumping snow with a few lulls here and there.

Trip Report: Called Brian as I left the house who was already skiing. Also called Grassi and found we were pretty much in sync. Got to the mountain a bit after 3 pm - 50 or so minutes, not bad. Met up with Chris in the lodge. Immediately headed for Temptor which was already skiing pretty nicely. The bumps on the middle part of Nor'easter are pretty wide with only a groomer pass on skier's right. These upper bumps were a bit rough and still need some massaging, but the number of lines is impressive.

The bumps then turn down into Temptor which is a really nice stretch of tight medium sized bumps. Great stuff in there. On the flats, there are no real bumps, and the seeds are actually a little silly, but they are still fun to pop off of and practice some A&E. Now the good stuff. The bumps on the steep section of Temptor are freakin' RADICAL! They skied in great over the course of the afternoon/evening and by nights end were pretty large. 3 to 4 beautiful lines in there. They are a work of art right now.

Met up with Brian and then Marc. Brian, Marc and I decided to check out Area 51. Whoa. :blink: Not quite ready. About 6" of fluffy powder over no base. Brian scored a massive core shot. Still a fun little adventure. We then hooked up with the Evils and Mikey1 and son for a while. Eventually hooked up with beetlenut at the sundeck. And finally jonnypoach arrived and Brian rejoined us (had to work a few hours).

All of us slayed those moguls for much of the night and again, the bumps on Temptor are awesome. This is about as good as bump skiing can get in CT. They are primed for the mogul comp and spring session. Kickers go in next week according to Brian so it should be a fun next few weeks at the mighty Ski Sundown. I'm effin spent. We killed it on those bumps and besides the Area 51 excursion we hammered them over and over for 7 hours with about a 45 minute dinner break. Brian, jonnypoach and I even hiked up the Lower Temptor bumps for one more run. Some tool guy says, "Not sure anything at Sundown is worth hiking for." I responded in the most snide voice I could find the energy for and said, "this trail is."

Best bump night at Sundown, bar none. Great skiing with everyone. Got some vid. I'll fool with it a bit tonight, but the final product probably won't be ready until tomorrow. Marge and Tim grabbed a ton of vid too. It was a great night!

madskier6

Best bump night at Sundown, bar none. Great skiing with everyone. Got some vid. I'll fool with it a bit tonight, but the final product probably won't be ready until tomorrow. Marge and Tim grabbed a ton of vid too. It was a great night!

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to skiing the Temptor bumps. The best bump night at Sundown ever? Wow it must have been damn good. Wish I could have gone.

2knees

Sweet jeezus. A new and better bump run. at little old sundown. I love it.

i hope all of you are going to sleep smiling.

Greg

Staff member
The best bump night at Sundown ever? Wow it must have been damn good. Wish I could have gone.

Best one I've ever had and I've had quite a few. Without question.

MRGisevil

OK it is 3 am and after my PC crashing times two, the video is done. Sadly, it's going to take two hours to render the high def vid. So.... pleasant dreams, boys, I'm to bed. Vid should be done when I wake up and will post it then. Would say more about how great the night was and all that, but I'm freakin tired...

Greg

Staff member
OK it is 3 am and after my PC crashing times two, the video is done. Sadly, it's going to take two hours to render the high def vid. So.... pleasant dreams, boys, I'm to bed. Vid should be done when I wake up and will post it then. Would say more about how great the night was and all that, but I'm freakin tired...

You're nuts! I was only kidding when I said I expected you to stay up until 1 or 2 am working on the vid... :blink:

I slept last night with a 2 year old kicking me in the back all night. Between that and ripping up Temptor yesterday, I feel like I've been run over by a bus... :smash:

MRGisevil

Ha, couldn't be helped. I shouldn't have had that coffee last night, ended up getting 2 hours of sleep. Youtube:

I'm a little annoyed because some of the fun timing stuff I did got skewed on youtube, so the timing is a bit off :(

You'll also note that that last run we did where I filmed every one isn't in here. That's because Randi the super genius forgot to hit the "start" button. Nice.

Sorry guys..

Last edited:

Grassi21

Love the opening starwipe and choice of music! I was bouncing my boy on my knee as we watched the vid.

Swordfest 08 was a success! I'd have to say yesterday was the most fun I've had at Sundown. I got home last night, smoked a victory cigar and had a huge piece of cake before passing out. It was hard dragging my ass up the stairs to crawl into bed.

I'm still feeling it today. I thought I would freak out with the consistent pitch but once I found a few lines that worked for me I had a blast. Can't wait to get back up there and hit it again.

The only bad part of the night was when that big bully Marc broke the brake on me ski and then laughed at me. Scars run deep.... ;-)

Greg

Staff member
Swordfest 2008

Holy crap! That IS radical. :eek: The 2 O' clock twister makes it's online debut! :lol: :oops:

My pathetic display of a video will be up soon. It's pretty weak compared to that one though. Nice editing. Your camera take sweet footage.

Grassi21

Ha, couldn't be helped. I shouldn't have had that coffee last night, ended up getting 2 hours of sleep. Youtube:

I'm a little annoyed because some of the fun timing stuff I did got skewed on youtube, so the timing is a bit off :(

You'll also note that that last run we did where I filmed every one isn't in here. That's because Randi the super genius forgot to hit the "start" button. Nice.

Sorry guys..

I like the credit you gave to Red Guy. Dude can ski. I was BSing with him at the base when I was walking out. I wish you had some footage of Snow Plow guy...

MRGisevil

Thanks guys! I had a ton of fun putting it together, despite the two pc crashes that is ;) Still mad about that damn delay though.....

Oh, Grassi- check out Bert's Star Wars vid- I'm pretty sure Snow Plow Guy makes a cameo!

Greg

Staff member
My vid

High res:

Sundown - 2/22

YouTubage:

Like I said, rather lame compared to Marge's. Nice job again.

MR. evil

I think it is safe to say that the bar has been raised, and we have seen the next level of AlpineZone movie making.

The AZ Oscar for:
Picture of the year
Editting
Direction
Score
and creative use of star wipes

goes to MRGis Evil

MRGisevil

High res:

Sundown - 2/22

YouTubage:

Like I said, rather lame compared to Marge's. Nice job again.

Greg, nice! Loved the soundtrack, got me totally pumped. Awesome skiing by all of you. I will certainly have to show up on the 16th and play AZ Camera girl for the day. The....spanish... That was an interesting end :lol: :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I think it is safe to say that the bar has been raised, and we have seen the next level of AlpineZone movie making.

The AZ Oscar for:
Picture of the year
Editting
Direction
Score
and creative use of star wipes

goes to MRGis Evil

Can't argue with that.

What software did you use, Marge?

MR. evil

It came with the new camcorder, it is called Power Director.

Grassi21

i luv my face plant in greg's vid. i thought i was going to recover for a second and then wham.