• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine 2-24-08

awf170

Field day for the Avi 1 course. Just took a few pics. Camera died (for good). :-(

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4239.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

TheBEast

I never get tired of looking at pictures of that place (but they never come close to the feeling you get making that first corner and seeing the bowl starring back at you)!

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I was up there when you guys arrived. I was one of the skiers that came up the Sherbie. Here's my trip report:

Sorry for the large images, I didn't have time to crop them for this forum size.

I was up at the low Harvard Cabin (on Rt 16) on Saturday night after the NET Telemark Festival at Sunday River. Sunday dawned clear and promised to be fairly warm so I left the rest of the group who were doing the Wildcat Valley Ski Tour and instead headed to Pinkham.

I booted up downstairs and picked up two Cliff bars then put skins on my Tickets and started skinning up the Shebie. I was following someones skin track from earlier in the morning but some sections were icy enough that I had to side step to make progress. I met a skier coming down who said things were pretty nasty up in the Ravine but Sherbie was better then he expected.

Soon a crop of sledders came down. They must have been ice climbing and were taking the quick way out. I saw a handful of skiers coming down as well.
sher03.jpg

sher04.jpg

sher02.jpg

Around noon (1:40 minutes travel time) I reached HoJos and stopped for a bite to eat. The Ravine and Hillmans were spectacular; rarely have I seen a bluer sky. I hung there for 30 minutes or so, taking to the other climbers and skiers, eating my Cliff bars, and getting ready to descend.

bowl01.jpg

bowl02.jpg

bowl03.jpg

hillmans01.jpg

hillmans02.jpg

Then it was time to deskin and head down. The trail had some soft spots in the sun, but basically was dust on crust. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but I've had better runs on the Sherbie. :) It took me 20 minutes top to bottom (and many stops to rest my legs) to get back to the parking lot. I was changed and on the road by 1:30, a nice way to spend the morning.

-dave-