• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 2/28/08

2knees

Date(s) Skied: 2/28/08

Resort or Ski Area: Magic

Conditions: Powder/Looser Powder/Chopped Powder/Diced Powder/Cut Powder

Trip Report: I dont really have words for today. Magic was so far off the hook today the phone was lost. Only bad things to happen were getting stuck in both hartford and springfield rush hour in the morning and having to leave at 3 for home duties. Everything else was sublime, for this lowland sloppy seconds hack.

Due to the aftorementioned traffic, i didnt make my planned 9:00 arrival instead i got there somewhere around 10. Got a run in down twilight zone and saw greg and Madskier6 at the base of the red. Twilight was nice but honestly, it was just the tip of the iceberg. Jeff had some new boots and powder boards so we hit wizard over to sorcerer i believe. Sorcerer was some slightly windpack cut powder. awesome fun. no base to be heard. jeff was just freakin floating over and through everything. greg too. meanwhile, back on the bump boards i was flopping around like a gaper out of water. who cares though on a day like today.

After catching up with Bvibert and Allskiing, we hit broomstick to heart of the magician. probably the run of the day. almost untracked. light, not windpacked. just disgusting for me. it was so much fun, each turn just an explosion. then hit black line from above witch. steep and gnarly up there and alot of fun down to black line where it widens. again, just sick steep piles and little ledges to just launch off. After it mellows out, the groomer had layed unreal corduroy. I saw the guys stopped but the groomed was so much fun i couldnt stop. I've never ever had so much fun skiing cordouroy. THis went on and on for a some more runs with goniff, redline. lower redline, magician and some others. The only scratch we found was some on redline in the usual places and some at the top of goniff.

Take my word for it, if you're on the fence about this place, extract the fencepost from your ass and get up there. even tracked up, the snow is really deep and surprisingly light. get it.

Great to meet Matt and his buddy Greg. Great skiers. thanks for taking us down Magician. hadnt skied that one in years. Allskiing, nice to ski with you for essentially the first time. you should really point that car south tomorrow. :smile:

We all took some turns behind the camera.

great day for me. I love magic.

MRGisevil

Man, sounds like you had an awesome, awesome day. You deserve it, dude. Hope it's just as nice tomorrow.

sledhaulingmedic

Very nice. I talked to Cameron this morning while patrolling the Crotch (mostly looking in the woods for poachers, but I guess we'd find more if we weren't getting first tracks :snow: ) who said the Magic was in the best shape yet this season.

The forecast for tomorrow into Sat looks great. It's the time to get to Magic. It doesn't get much better!

2knees

Very nice. I talked to Cameron this morning while patrolling the Crotch (mostly looking in the woods for poachers, but I guess we'd find more if we weren't getting first tracks :snow: ) who said the Magic was in the best shape yet this season.

The forecast for tomorrow into Sat looks great. It's the time to get to Magic. It doesn't get much better!

I've never seen the snow so deep at magic, ever. before anyone jumps down my throat, notice i said I havent. The first drop on redline was completely covered. You could actually make a turn on it. the second drop, no rock exposed but still mandatory air. Even lower down, the rock facings were not visible. i've never seen this, ever. They may have some real spring skiing on their hands this year, especially with another 8" or so predicted for friday into sat.

Oh and i never hit a rock. that too may be a first for me at magic, not that i've ever cared about it before.

Greg

Staff member
Pat summed it up perfectly. The only bad part for me today was my late start (effin Hartford :evil:). Got going at 10:30 and we killed it until 4:15. I was wanting about 2 hours more, but alas. Back to back runs are Redline were sick, but Blackline from the Redline/Witch merge traverse was where it was at. I think we did a solid job introducing the hill to ALLSKIING.

Magic gets the full-on "radical" definition from this guy. Got a bunch of vid to put together. Going to aim for tonight to get that up, mostly because I want to watch it about a hundred times at work tomorrow. The only day better for me this season was a powder day at MRG, and only by a smidge.

And Pat, shut the hell up. You can rip on any boards in just about any conditions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Man, I need a job with a Powder clause. SO JEALOUS of you folks who can knock off work for a day on something killer like today. And no, calling in sick isn't an option when you work from home.

sledhaulingmedic

Man, I need a job with a Powder clause. SO JEALOUS of you folks who can knock off work for a day on something killer like today. And no, calling in sick isn't an option when you work from home.

Saturday will be even better. One word: GO!

2knees

i'm gonna push my wife for sunday. she was commenting about how much snow vermont was supposed to get this weekend. I think i may have an in road with that comment. anyone gonna be around then?

2knees

Man, sounds like you had an awesome, awesome day. You deserve it, dude. Hope it's just as nice tomorrow.

It'll be waiting for you guys tomorrow. no worries there. I think the grand total today was around 40 people.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Sounds great. I'm loving these conditions now and with another 6+ on the way tomorrow into Saturday, we've got more to look forward to.

Magic gets the full-on "radical" definition from this guy. Got a bunch of vid to put together. Going to aim for tonight to get that up, mostly because I want to watch it about a hundred times at work tomorrow. The only day better for me this season was a powder day at MRG, and only by a smidge.

Wow, that is high praise, knowing what you thought about that MRG day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Saturday will be even better. One word: GO!

Unfortunately, Saturday is the gfs birthday. She's tolerant of my skiing habbit, but there are limits, especially when she's got friends traveling from a couple hours away to visit.

Sunday afternoon will be my next rendevouz with a mountain

madskier6

I had an awesome day today with you guys at Magic. The consistency of the fresh snow was perfect. I don't remember hitting much ice or crust underneath the soft pow/crud. Maybe that's because I was floating on top of the soft snow all day! :lol:

For me, today was the best day of my ski season this year. Today beats out MRG on 2/8 by a "smidge" as Greg said earlier. Perfect combination of quality & quantity of snow, great company, perfect weather & some new powder boards to explore the mountain with. :smile:

It doesn't get much better than this. Get thee to Magic now ASAP to enjoy prime conditions! Magic needs to be experienced right now!

reefer

Sweet!

This thread is great! I'm glad there are other witnesses of the conditions there. It was a top three day for us yesterday! Can't wait to see the video! Magic is radical!

bvibert

Staff member
Effin Awesome! Just SICK. Best day of the season here, perhaps all time. Granted I haven't had too many fresh snow days. ;) I feel kinda silly saying, but the groomed run-outs were wicked fun. So soft, all you had to do was tilt the boards and you were carving perfect turns, even with rounded edges. Of course the ungroomed stuff was even better. I was totally floored by how awesome it was today. I wasn't expecting it to be that good. I don't think there could possibly be a better use for a sick day then skiing fresh snow on a beautiful day with your ski buddies!

Marge and Tim, don't worry it's gonna be great tomorrow, you won't be disappointed. If you are I don't think I want to talk to you anymore... ;)

Must sleep now...

Greg

Staff member
Vids a' comin', folks. Prolly 45 mins...

bvibert

Staff member
I should add to my above post that I'm glad I finally got to ski several trails that have been on my hit list since missing them for various reason last time I was there, including one that was even on the radar in Magician. Most importantly, to me, was that I finally knocked off Red Line. Black Line was awesome, as was Heart of Magician and The Hallows. It was nice to hit Witch (Upper), Goniff, and Broomstick too. I was kinda bummed that we didn't hit Slide of Hans, but it seemed like kind of a waste with Wizard being groomed all the way through...

2knees

I should add to my above post that I'm glad I finally got to ski several trails that have been on my hit list since missing them for various reason last time I was there, including one that was even on the radar in Magician. Most importantly, to me, was that I finally knocked off Red Line. Black Line was awesome, as was Heart of Magician and The Hallows. It was nice to hit Witch (Upper), Goniff, and Broomstick too. I was kinda bummed that we didn't hit Slide of Hans, but it seemed like kind of a waste with Wizard being groomed all the way through...

I like this post. Magic is sick and we should spread the word.

Go now or forever hold your peace.

how's that for a slogan?