• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

late week storm?

Angus

I missed last weekend and thought we'd dodged the bullet Tuesday/Wednesday - this could be a disaster. I had planned to ski sunday. I was surprised that Wildcat shut down 9 trails after yesterday. not that it makes us feel better but.... from Josh at Mad River Glen

"With that said the long range is starting to take on a different look as for the first time this season we are seeing indications of what could turn out to be a major block over Greenland. Such a feature could be the catalyst for a big finish to the end of March and easily could push the seasonal snow total to over 300 inches."

btw: he predicts more non-frozen at the end of next week!

klrskiah

I'm not buying that rain map:smash: the 18z NAM is still trending colder.. still not looking great. but starting to get real interesting for the far north

Last edited:

Angus

I love that site - it's snowing everywhere I was thinking of skiing this weekend! Unfortunately, it looks like they were midnight forecasts! I hope they are right.

SKIQUATTRO

the latest models are shifting more east which is good,,,,next update around 6pm

tcharron

the latest models are shifting more east which is good,,,,next update around 6pm

Hrm, NOAA changed their forcast slightly, instead of just R@1# to R@1#/Sleet mix.. It's definatly going in the right direction..

Quick, someone call Canada and have them release a bunch of butterflies!

SKIQUATTRO

i'm suprised more of you arent looking at this storm....its a major storm, some are predicting close to the march '93 storm, this one might be in the 980mb range...I've been seeing maps with possible 3' of snow north to 6" of rain and major flooding in the south...the news/wx stations are being very cautious right now as they dont know what track its going to take, nonetheless this is a major event that needs to be closly monitored...just check some of the accuwx forums...this could be a BIG DADDY......if you live near rivers in the south, watch out!!

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
i'm suprised more of you arent looking at this storm....its a major storm,

are you kidding? every single outdoors board for the east has had at least one thread on this storm, with posts every 5 minutes by every armchair meteorologists out there. Here's hoping it's :snow: If the tux elevation advantage comes into play and it does snow, we could be looking at skiing well into june this yera. :smash: (knock on wood)

tcharron

i'm suprised more of you arent looking at this storm....its a major storm, some are predicting close to the march '93 storm, this one might be in the 980mb range...I've been seeing maps with possible 3' of snow north to 6" of rain and major flooding in the south...the news/wx stations are being very cautious right now as they dont know what track its going to take, nonetheless this is a major event that needs to be closly monitored...just check some of the accuwx forums...this could be a BIG DADDY......if you live near rivers in the south, watch out!!

I dunno, I'd be REEEAAAALY hesitant to compare it to '93. Personally, I'm just hoping it cools down in Southern NH at least enough to give snow instead of R@1#.

Skier75

Are you kidding??? I just looked and we were gonna go wayyyy, I'm talking wayyy up North to The Balsams, but I dunno.....the weather report is calling for RAIN way up there! I'm bummin hard! Hubby doesn't want to chance driving three hours to "maybe" go skiing.......I'd almost be willing to chance it but we're also trying to find a "dog" friendly place to stay on Sat to try to get two days of skiing in.....to me, it doesn't look too promising.....

Skier75

Oh, I've skied in the rain before....it makes for soft snow, then also a wet butt.... ;) Even with the gore tex, after a while it does seep in.....

tcharron

Are you kidding??? I just looked and we were gonna go wayyyy, I'm talking wayyy up North to The Balsams, but I dunno.....the weather report is calling for RAIN way up there! I'm bummin hard! Hubby doesn't want to chance driving three hours to "maybe" go skiing.......I'd almost be willing to chance it but we're also trying to find a "dog" friendly place to stay on Sat to try to get two days of skiing in.....to me, it doesn't look too promising.....

Here's the sort of thing he's talking about I suspect.

snow3608.png

Many meterologists are disagreeing, or at least feeling, the models feel wrong. If it tracks further east, that big red ubah snow area could pop right over us. Check out:

http://www.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?blog=meteomadness

Good summary.

Skier75

Hummm....well, guess we gotta wait and see....if that's the case, then Sunday may be a better option to go somewhere, maybe just not drive 3hrs, someplace a little closer to home......

RISkier

Am I the only one on here who skis in the rain????

I kind of like skiing in light rain. Hero snow and no crowds. Skiing, or doing any outdoor activity really, in a real deluge would probably not be so much fun. We weren't intending to go very far North this weekend anyway. But given the predictions I wouldn't invest the time or money to travel North even if we had planned to.

ozzy

Seems like predictions for this event are still all over the place. Guess we wont know what's happening until it starts. One thing that most can aggree uon is that this is one bad mother or a storm.