• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/18 - 3/21 Storm Discussion Thread

polski

Website
twitter.com
yup..he is...a couple of weeks ago he predicted 30" and we got 12"....not complaining.

For the record, with that one Fox predicted total storm accum of 18-30 and IMO we didn't fall too far short of the bottom of that admittedly very wide range. I was at MRG both days and thought the official mountain report the first morning of "about a foot" may have been a slight underreport (at the least it was curiously vague), though I didn't try to take measurements myself. By late that night another couple inches had fallen. I'd say 15" was a reasonable storm total. (I now see Fox settled on 15" as the final, in a comment following up the above-linked post.)

Also, his forecasts for the early season wound up being pretty wildly pessimistic -- Nov/Dec shaped up a lot better than he had expected. (In November he forecast a season total for MRG total of < 220" and as of this morning they report "Season Snowfall to Date: 193 - 263".") So I can't say I see a positive bias in his forecasts. Whether he does better than a coin flip, who knows, but at least I feel smarter reading his stuff ;-)

I will note a glaring omission in his latest report though, no mention of wind today/tomorrow.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Polski,

Yes, he gave one of the most pessimistic season forecasts I've seen last November. Since it's been an above average year, the difference between my low expectations and what we got have been huge. And the base is still there with some fresh snow coming down, so I think we're going to finish strong, too.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Yup....tomorrow is the first day of spring! :lol:

Even after last weeks ice storm and the trees were still laden with ice the skiing was awesome at Mt Ellen. I think TB was out there also and reported good skiing as well.

ice2.jpg

Last edited:

JPTracker

From Jays Snow Report

**WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH FRIDAY PM**

27F and Heavy snow here at 1:15pm. 4-6" on the ground since just after midnight and no real honking winds yet. Forecasters are calling for the possibility of more than 20" of snow by tomorrow evening.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Who knows where the snow will end up. Just came over the hillf from Waitsfield. Snowing and WINDY. Conditions tomorrow 0-20 inches.

campgottagopee

2nd day of spring and I just got done snowblowing my driveway here in CNY----looks like snowbanks for the first day of trout season here

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Mt Washington is reporting steady winds of almost 100mph, air temps below zero, wind chill around -50°F. Not a day to be up there, nor do I think I'd want to be at Wildcat today. Summit chair's on wind hold and the terrain must be getting blown to shreds.

nelsapbm

I just heard a guy on the radio who called in from Eden (Route 100 between Stowe & Jay) and he reported 16" at his house. It's amazing, 'cause there is NOTHING in the Champlain Valley. The winds are really whipping though.

JPTracker

Slopeside at Jay right now. It is snowing heavily and the wind is causing white out conditions. No way upper mountain lifts will run. I would no be surprised if even some of the lower mountain lifts close. Jay says 16" - 18". Had to walk through knee deep drifts to get to our condo. Driving up last night was crazy. White out conditions and 91 was closed for a while while they cleared an accident. Probably not much better this morning.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just checked Sugarbush's report. Apparently only 6 of 16 lifts going, Mt Ellen basically closed, but Castlerock is turning. With 6 to 10 inches of fresh and still snowing, I'm sure it will still be a good AZ outing even with limited terrain. I know I could stay happy off of Castlerock for a full day with fresh snow.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Got he call from Mansfield. 18 inches in the woods. Massive wind load on the backside of the greens basically. Everything blew into the east northeast facing terrain. Eden is a massive snow catch.

noski

Does anyone know what the wind is supposed to be like in Northern VT tomorrow?
For north central VT, after today, the winds should die down and be more breezy 10-20mph. We'll see some sun and flurries. I had a foot of fresh pow at my house in the MRV at 1700'. About half that on the valley floor.

MRGisevil

For north central VT, after today, the winds should die down and be more breezy 10-20mph. We'll see some sun and flurries. I had a foot of fresh pow at my house in the MRV at 1700'. About half that on the valley floor.

Nice, thanks!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I read an official report this morning saying that 302, the Kanc, and pretty much any road above 1500' in the Whites in New Hampshire will likely be impassable today.

loafer89

The notches of New Hamsphire did well, Balsams had 12" overnight and it was still snowing when we left at 4pm with light fluffy powder to play in all day long.