• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North & South Hanock - 1-15-05

Elk Oil

Date(s) Hiked: 1-15-05 & 1-16-05

Trails(s) Hiked: Hancock Loop Trail

Total Distance: 9.3 miles

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Snow & Ice

Special Required Equipment: Crampons, Poles

Trip Report: Since the snow had melted due to a 50 degree day earlier in the week and re-froze, the entire trail was crusted snow with about a 1" coating of light, dry powder due to a recent snowfall.

Snowshoes weren't needed, but crampons gave me a real sense of security on the flat approach up Hancock Notch and Cedar Brook Trails. I was carrying a heavy pack in order to spend the night, so I needed all the sure-footedness I could get! Crampons were a must on the ascent and descent, however. Bring your poles, too, because you'll need 'em!

The water crossings were a little dicey in spots. Some sections had ice bridges that were capable of holding me, while the ice was too weak in others, so it took some testing to find the best ways across. The following morning on the way out, the water was higher in some spots, so different routes were required for the crossings.

I headed up S. Peak which was slow but not difficult given the terrain. Snow was about 18" with a 2" crust on top, but the trails themselves were packed so there was no problem. On the North-South Link, the snow was a bit more powdery, but the going was easy.

Coming down N. Peak posed no real difficulties, but taking your time is the name of the game because it's an ankle workout for sure!

Temps. were about 15 F for the day's high and around 0 F at night. Very comfortable, and I spent a gorgeous, moon-lit night in the forest. There were some very good camping spots along the Loop trail before the base of the moutains (thanks to everyone who gave me some advice a while back!)

C

Caleb

thanks for the report. I am curious to know what the views are from South Hancock of the terrain to the N and the NE? Could you see Carrigain and signal ridge? I'm intriqued by the idea of one day bushwhacking down to Carrigain pond.

C

Caleb

thanks. The terrain seems simple enough...steep, but a wide bearing to the shoulder between Hancock and Carrigain where Carigain pond is. I'm headed up there next week., but I'll probably save the bushwhack for warmer weather. thanks again Caleb

Elk Oil

The views were great at certain points along the ridge, but bushwacking may prove to me pretty challenging as the trees are very dense in most places.