• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

RossiSkier

Night skiing tonight. Man is it ever gonna be cold. I'll have more layers than grandma's lasagne.

-31 at Mount Tremblant.
-13 at Whiteface
-15 at Jay
-16 Killington

I have skiied this and lots colder. But is it ever too cold? Who's hardcore?

dmc

RossiSkier said:
Night skiing tonight. Man is it ever gonna be cold. I'll have more layers than grandma's lasagne.

-31 at Mount Tremblant.
-13 at Whiteface
-15 at Jay
-16 Killington

I supposed to go to Jiminy for night skiing tonight...
Buuuuut.... no... Going to go home and light a fire and fall asleep with the cat on the couch...

ctenidae

You reach a point, and it's different for everyone, where it's just not fun anymore. Wearing 50 layers tends to be uncomfortable to me. So does frostbite. Not saying I won't/haven't done it, just that it's not as much fun. Somehwere the equation balances out, and that's your hardcore line.
Speaking of too cold, saw a report last night on SpaceLoft making into ski gear next fall. All I can say is "Sweeeeeet." With that stuff, Antarctica isn't too cold.

Vortex

The coldest I remember was 16 below at Loon last year. That seemed cold enough to me. I have said cold would not stop me , but wow( -31) beer drinking day. Our heat is broken at our office today I have my spring ski coat on.. I can't imagine working outside today. Some really tough people..

ChileMass

RossiSkier said:

-31 at Mount Tremblant.
-13 at Whiteface
-15 at Jay
-16 Killington

Chicken Man, you are truly hardcore. If you live, post a trip report...... :blink:

highpeaksdrifter

I'll be at Jiminy tonight. I chaparone a school group on Tues. nights so I don't have a choice. Skiing at Whiteface alot, as I do you get use to frigid weather. I just layer up and take breaks when I have to. It is a winter sport after all. :D

Zand

-15 isn't cold. I've skiied colder than that and it still didn't feel cold. I was outside in a sweatshirt today and wasn't cold.

Last January around this time was cold. -45 in some places. Makes for good manmade stuff though.

Friday is supposed to be the coldest day of this week and I'll be up nigh skiing. The good news: A GIANT Nor' Easter coming in Sunday-Monday. Even tomorrow's overnight storm looks good.

dmc

Zand said:
-15 isn't cold. I've skiied colder than that and it still didn't feel cold. I was outside in a sweatshirt today and wasn't cold.

...wow... You actually skied in a sweatshirt today... Or were you just taking tha garbage out???

Come on.... -15 is friggin cold... - you risk frostbite.. It can be dangerous if your not prepared... It's irresponsible to try and make others think that it's OK to go out in -15 weather.. If they are not used to it....

ctenidae

Giant Nor'Easter? NOAA's not saying anything about it. I hope it comes, really I do. Really really. I want a snow day off!

dmc

ctenidae said:
Giant Nor'Easter? NOAA's not saying anything about it. I hope it comes, really I do. Really really. I want a snow day off!

Been hearing rumblings of a nor'easter as well..

loafer89

The colder it gets, the more dedicated you must become to ski. Last January was very cold at Sugarloaf with the temperature between -10-15F and when I skied at Orford it was never warmer than -20F with full sunshine. The key is lots of thin layers, my electrically heated boots really help also :)

My NWS office thinks that the storm on sunday will be a coastal snow event. I think it will be a coastal snow with snowfall reaching as far north as the NH/ME border.

Hopefully the storm will track further inland and nail the ski areas. :D

Greg

Staff member
dmc said:
ctenidae said:

Likesie, but from what I'm hearing it's to effect the mid-Atlantic mostly, but then again we're 5 days out so anything can happen...

dmc

Greg said:
dmc said:
ctenidae said:

Likesie, but from what I'm hearing it's to effect the mid-Atlantic mostly, but then again we're 5 days out so anything can happen...

Thats basically why i havent really been saying anything..

I'm hoping though!!! Could use one more good blast and we're woods skiing!!!

skijay

Last February I skied at Montjoye and it was -22F for night skiing. Thankfully there was no wind. The lift ride was bearable, but coming down the slopes was brutal.

The more good carbs I eat, the more I can tolerate those cold temps. A candy bar gives a boost but for me does not last. I found out that consuming caffinated beverages the day of skiing reduces my tolerance to the cold.

skican

Today's cold is no joke folks....I have been in the barn all day. I was going to head over to the Loaf today and stayed hone with pets instead. It's not only cold here in Central Me, it's very windy. I was skiing last Thursday (Loaf)and had an absolute blast all by myself. I didn't get there until 11 and got soo many runs in that it was completely unbelievable.I really like my Bonze Pass! I used the Spurline Trail to the Terrain Park and had more fun that a women my age should be having!!!!
I did get to do the lower part of Gondi Line and that was fun. I have to be honest...I had not done skers right yet this year. It was ungroomed and bumpy,, and I had great fun doing it. Followed up by visit to the Bag and a beer:

:beer:

chocolateSkiBunny

Website
www.rocknation.tv
There was a weekend at Mount Snow I'll never forget. Saturday was 13 below zero and windy--you had to warm up in in the lodge after you got off the lift, and again after you skied down before you could get on the lift line again. We quit two hours early. Sunday, it soared to 24 above--and it felt like summer time! Ten below freezing, and it actually seemed warm!!!

chocolateSkiBunny

Website
www.rocknation.tv
skican said:
I was skiing last Thursday (Loaf)and had an absolute blast all by myself. I didn't get there until 11 and got soo many runs in that it was completely unbelievable.
:beer:

Reminds me of a day I spent at Hunter Mountain. Good news, an unexpected late spring storm; bad news, the weather delayed the arrival of the ski bus by ninety minutes. I was pissed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise--the place was half deserted, so I was able to get in more in enough extra runs to compensate for the late start!

sledhaulingmedic

"Too Cold" to ski what? Bullet proof 300' of boring vertical can be too cold at a much higher temp than killer terrain with light fluffy snow up to your nutsack.

I had no interest in skiing tonight, but I'll get in a full day tomorrow. For now, it's a fire, dinner and a beverage, hangin' out with the cats. :beer:

catskills

Too cold for skiing? You got to be kidding. With today’s technology in high tech fabrics and boots it is never too cold to go skiing. Maybe too windy but never too cold. Try skiing at Whiteface years ago with leather boots, thermal underwear, and blue jeans when its -30F degrees and windy. You shiver so bad your teeth hurt. Now that’s too cold. Today you never get too cold.