• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

KustyTheKlown

my dad booked the equinox in Manchester for me and my girl using his starwood points. if Saturday skiing is unbearable, we have a beautiful resort to hang out at with an indoor pool, hot tub, steam, sauna, spa services for $, a room which is way too luxe for my bum ass, good restaurants, outlet shopping, a movie theatre. skiing sunday should be no problem.

Smellytele

my dad booked the equinox in Manchester for me and my girl using his starwood points. if Saturday skiing is unbearable, we have a beautiful resort to hang out at with an indoor pool, hot tub, steam, sauna, spa services for $, a room which is way too luxe for my bum ass, good restaurants, outlet shopping, a movie theatre. skiing sunday should be no problem.

Didn't know they were in the starwood family. I have some points maybe I'll check it out.

kingslug

Nice place..checked rates..about the cost of my...socks LOL. I'm staying in a regular hotel but this is an option for sure. Too far from Stowe though.

SIKSKIER

When it is too cold out you need to get off the groomers and hit some bumps, or ski something you have to hike a little to get to. Groomers= lost body heat, bumps= added body heat.
Big difference between body heat and toe heat.I'm almost always plenty warm or too warm in my core.Its only the toes and no amount of exercise warms those because they really dont move.Especially for those of us with bad circulation in those digits.

KustyTheKlown

Nice place..checked rates..about the cost of my...socks LOL. I'm staying in a regular hotel but this is an option for sure. Too far from Stowe though.

oh yea, I'd never pay what it actually costs to stay there. my parents have what is essentially a starwood timeshare, but its points that they can use at any of the properties. it's real property and one day will pass to me and my sisters. they just pay a relatively small yearly fee for maintenance etc. I hardly ever ask them to use it, it's theirs, not mine (my greedy sister tends to take a tropical trip on parents' points every year tho), but with the cold and the noob girlfriend, I thought a proper resort would be a nice move. thanks pops.

Equinox

That's exactly what we decided she would try next.

There also is some thought that maybe her hands are getting too warm and perspiring, leading to cold fingers.

This was my problem. Glove liners helped a LOT. I did not need new gloves, just liners that wicked moisture better.

Edd

When is it too cold to ski

Weird, this was very close to my plan for the same time period before I decided to go west. Never stayed at the Equinox but I was eyeballing the website pretty good last week. The lodging situation in So. VT looks generally overpriced to me, even by ski area standards. The Equinox seems to be among the decent choices and no more of a rip-off than any other place.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

I tend to stay in <$100/night motels run by indian families, so this is a major upgrade for me

kingslug

I once took my future wife to a "hotel" in Hunter...Interesting place, built sometime before the world was created...one and done for her. Had to up my game from there.

VTKilarney

The lodging situation in So. VT looks generally overpriced to me, even by ski area standards. The Equinox seems to be among the decent choices and no more of a rip-off than any other place.

Manchester has seen the addition of a lot of beds in the past couple of years with the Kimpton and the Hampton Inn opening.

KustyTheKlown

I usually stay in the four winds country motel when I am in Manchester. its cheap, generally about $100/night. and they have fleece blankets with unicorns on them under the bedspreads.

Jcb890

Lodging in VT and Maine is a joke as far as pricing goes.

Costs are similar to stay in the Mt. Snow/Stratton area or Sunday River/Sugarloaf areas as they are to rent a place at a western resort town for a week. To me, that is insane. The housing market is what it is I guess from a pricing standpoint, but I'm sorry, some dumpy 1-2 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere Maine is not worth $800-1,000 for a week. Its the same for the Dover, VT area and most other areas I have looked at in VT as well which is quite disappointing.

Jcb890

I usually stay in the four winds country motel when I am in Manchester. its cheap, generally about $100/night. and they have fleece blankets with unicorns on them under the bedspreads.
$100/night isn't even that cheap for a dumpy hotel/motel though.

KustyTheKlown

I pay $60/night in rutland, but that is the dumpiest of the dumpy (either of their two lovely rodeway inns). I don't think $100/night within striking distance of Stratton, Bromley, magic, and okemo is that crazy. and the four winds isn't that dumpy. I also usually opt to drive thru the night on Friday tho, to save one nights cost of lodging

BenedictGomez

Have you tried one of the "rent your home" websites?

I've only been using AirBnB for about 1.5 years now, but I've used it 3 times and have had some great success.

Jcb890

I pay $60/night in rutland, but that is the dumpiest of the dumpy (either of their two lovely rodeway inns). I don't think $100/night within striking distance of Stratton, Bromley, magic, and okemo is that crazy. and the four winds isn't that dumpy. I also usually opt to drive thru the night on Friday tho, to save one nights cost of lodging
I'm not blaming you at all, that seems like a good idea and a wise use of time... just wish the lodging were cheaper and would reflect the area. Seriously, there's NOTHING around in these towns other than skiing/riding... which is fine and is why I'm going. But, no way I'm spending the money to stay overnight and $100 is probably on the lower end for that area like you said.

$60 is more reasonable.