• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Northeast Blizzard of 2005 Discussion Thread

Vortex

Greg and DMC made mention of this yesterday. Still very early. NECN said this morning possible blizzard conditions. Matt the broadcaster said I'm just not sure where and exactly when. I'm hoping for Sunday night after the ride home. Sunday afternoon could make geeting back for the football games tough, but any snow at all please..

subdude

It's still a bit early, two scenarios either we get nailed here in New England or the Low tracks further South due to the H up in Canada blocking the storm from running North and the Mid-Atlantic states get nailed. Early models are pointing toward a more Southern track then the storm moving out to Sea where the DC area will get walloped but it's still early to tell tomorrow will have a much better idea of where this storm is going. But it is going to be a monster of a storm for whoever gets it. After that, it's looking like a nice cold/stormy pattern will be in place for the next 10-15 days. Winter has finally arrived to New England. :beer:

Greg

Staff member
ctenidae said:
NOAA's not looking hopeful, but again, it's too early to tell, really:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/MAZ015.php?warncounty=MAC025&city=Boston

Southern New Hampshire's reading about the same. I figure if Boston doesn't get whacked, no one inland will, either. Except maybe Maine.
That reads like a typical "we're not sure yet" forecast. If anything, this bears watching. We'll probably have a better handle on the storm track Friday or Saturday.

Vortex

JimG. said:
Bob R said:
I'm hoping for Sunday night after the ride home.

Why go home :D ?
Excellent question. I have not been to work alot since x-mass. Taken about 2 weeks vacation. My partner has the next 2 weeks off I have to earn my keep. I hope everyone else can get a long weekend and hopefully enjoy some fresh snow.

ctenidae

I'm going to stick with the "we're not getting anything" pessimism, in an effort to counteract any early-enthusiasm bad juju.

It's not going to snow.
(please snow)
It's not going to snow.
(please snow)

hammer

Ideally, I'd like the mountains to get a good dump, but with the way the season's been so far, as long as it stays cold and the ski areas can make snow I'm happy.

Beggars can't be choosers...

swade2469

Well, I saw the satellite loop from the west coast this morning and the storm looks HUGE. I agree, still early to tell, but someone somewhere will get dumped on, thats for sure.

dmc

I like the timing... Sat/Sun
Will make people go home early... And I dont have to take a day off... Still may take Monday if it looks good...

Greg

Staff member
Hunter will probably do well out of this one even if the track is a bit further south, eh DMC?

dmc

Greg said:
Hunter will probably do well out of this one even if the track is a bit further south, eh DMC?

Fingers crossed...

Rumour is they started blowing snow on Westway!!! Which already had a hard layer on it from natural and windblown manmade...

Some woods lines are packed now too and ready to go...

Now we just stack wood on the pourch and wait...

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=0

Looking better...

Now I'm hearing of another a week from tomorrow...

I hope it turns out like they're predicting, I hate it when they get us all worked up for nothing! :angry: Looks promising so far though...

dmc

bvibert said:
dmc said:
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/headlines.asp?iws=0

Looking better...

Now I'm hearing of another a week from tomorrow...

I hope it turns out like they're predicting, I hate it when they get us all worked up for nothing! :angry: Looks promising so far though...

WEather it happens or not... At least snowmaking condtions have been awesome!!!
One of my favorite trails at Hunter will be open this week!!! Westway... cool...

rjc1976

dmc said:
Rumour is they started blowing snow on Westway!!! Which already had a hard layer on it from natural and windblown manmade...

DMC, their recent e-mail confirms that they are blowing on Westway. They also mentioned that they have not blown on Westway in two years. Any idea why?