• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/27 - 3/28 Storm Discussion Thread

tcharron

sfx_accums.jpg

Not seeing it anywhere else saying 6". Tho it would make me happy as all hell.

loafer89

The NWS is prediciting 3-5" for Sunday river which I hope is true for powder skiing this weekend. Driving through this on friday will not be joyful.

hammer

And now we have a Winter Storm Warning:

/O.UPG.KGYX.WS.A.0011.080328T0600Z- 080328T2200Z/ /O.NEW.KGYX.WS.W. 0009.080328T0600Z-080328T2000Z/ INTERIOR YORK-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK- BELKNAP-STRAFFORD- INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... CLAREMONT...NEWPORT...CONCORD... LACONIA...TILTON-NORTHFIELD... MEREDITH...ROCHESTER...DOVER... DURHAM...DERRY...LONDONDERRY...EXETER 345 PM EDT THU MAR 27 2008

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 4 PM EDT FRIDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 4 PM EDT FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
LOOK FOR PRECIPITATION TO DEVELOP LATE THIS EVENING ACROSS THE CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEY...THEN SPREAD EAST DURING THE OVERNIGHT. BECAUSE OF THE RELATIVELY MILD TEMPERATURES TODAY... THE PRECIPITATION MAY START AS A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW...ESPECIALLY NEAR THE COAST AND ACROSS INTERIOR SOUTHEAST NEW HAMPSHIRE.
HOWEVER...AS THE PRECIPITATION FALLS MORE HEAVILY...IT WILL CHANGE TO SNOW...AND THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES LATE TONIGHT. OVERNIGHT ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE BETWEEN 2 AND 4 INCHES...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN NEAR THE CONNECTICUT RIVER.
THE SNOW WILL FALL HEAVILY AT TIMES FRIDAY MORNING ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION AS THE LOW APPROACHES. MILDER AIR TRYING TO MOVE IN OVER THE COLDER AIR AT THE SURFACE MAY CAUSE THE SNOW TO MIX WITH SLEET AT TIMES... ESPECIALLY ACROSS ROCKINGHAM AND YORK COUNTIES. OTHERWISE...EXPECT THE SNOW TO FALL WITH VARYING INTENSITY INTO THE AFTERNOON HOURS...BEFORE TAPERING OFF WITH THE PASSAGE OF THE LOW. AT THIS TIME...TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES ARE EXPECTED. PLEASE REPORT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877- 633-6772...WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY.

vcunning

Cool, if this thing holds up and can maintain it's Northerly position, the snowbanks lining the walk at my place at Mount Snow will finally be taller then me!

And DrJeff is like 8 feet tall (counting boots and helmet) ! :-D

mlctvt

Sweeeet. I may have to head out to Mount Snow tonight instead of my normal Friday night. Time to call the boss for a day off tomorrow. Either way this weekend looks great for southern VT.
the latest winter storm warning suggests 5-10 inches for some areas, and over a foot for the peaks!!!

NYZ058-063-VTZ014-281000-
/O.NEW.KALY.WS.W.0009.080328T0400Z-080328T2200Z/
WESTERN GREENE-WESTERN ULSTER-WESTERN WINDHAM-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HUNTER...TANNERSVILLE...WINDHAM...
SUNDOWN...ELLENVILLE...WOODSTOCK...WEST HURLEY...KERHONKSON...
NAPANOCH...PHOENICIA...JACKSONVILLE...NEWFANE
350 PM EDT THU MAR 27 2008
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM
EDT FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM EDT
FRIDAY FOR THE SOUTHEAST AND CENTRAL CATSKILLS AS WELL AS WESTERN
WINDHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHERN VERMONT.

A MIXTURE OF RAIN SLEET AND SNOW WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW LATER
TONIGHT. SOME FREEZING RAIN WILL MIX IN ACROSS THE SOUTHERN
CATSKILLS FOR AWHILE OVERNIGHT. THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO
ALL SNOW BY EARLY FRIDAY MORNING...BEFORE ENDING LATE IN THE DAY. SOME
OF THE PRECIPITATION WILL FALL HEAVILY OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY
FRIDAY.

IT APPEARS THAT 5 TO 10 INCHES OF WET SNOW WILL PILE UP ACROSS
MUCH OF THE WARNING AREA...WITH SOME OF THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS
EXCEEDING A FOOT OF SNOW. ALSO...UP TO A THIRD OF AN INCH OF ICE
COULD ACCUMULATE IN THE SOUTHEAST AND CENTRAL CATSKILLS...WITH LITTLE OR
NO ICE EXPECTED ACROSS WESTERN WINDHAM COUNTY.

IN ADDITION TO THE USUAL TREACHEROUS TRAVEL PRODUCED BY SNOW SLEET
AND EVEN FREEZING RAIN...THE WEIGHT OF THE SNOW AND OR ICE ON THE
TREES COULD RESULT IN LIMBS BREAKING WHICH COULD IN TURN PRODUCE
SPOTTY POWER OUTAGES.

THE STORM RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS LATEST ROUND OF WINTRY WEATHER WILL QUICKLY
TRACK FROM THE NATIONS MID SECTION...TRACKING EAST JUST TO THE
NORTH OF INTERSTATE 70...REACHING NORTH OF VIRGINIA BY EARLY FRIDAY...AND
WELL EAST OF CAPE COD BY LATE IN THE DAY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING.

mondeo

Current forecast for Killington, from Burlington NWS:

Tonight: Periods of snow, mainly after 2am. Low around 24. North wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Friday: Periods of snow, mainly before 2pm. High near 27. East wind 6 to 8 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

I'm hoping for the 10" end of that range, for the sake of the 200 (+1) bumpers at Bear on Saturday and Sunday. (Me being the +1, scoping it out for consideration of competing next year.) Without fresh snow those bumps will eat people alive.

mondeo

The NWS is prediciting 3-5" for Sunday river which I hope is true for powder skiing this weekend. Driving through this on friday will not be joyful.

I'm going to Albany tomorrow for the NCAA hockey regionals. Hopefully it'll let up some before I head out around 1PM.

I like skiing and all, but dammit, at some point I'd also like to take the snow tires off my car! It's been too long without decent levels of grip.

ERJ-145CA

I wasn't planning on skiing tomorrow but now it looks like it's going to start snowing at Belleayre tonight and continue all day tomorrow so I think I will head up there.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
8:15am Friday
Metro Boston - snow on the ground as far south as Billerica, but it's now raining there.
Nashua - about 2" slushy stuff on the ground. hailing right now, 32 degrees.
Yippee, go north young man!
Magic is looking good...

Euler

8:40 AM Friday

5-6 inches of wet snow and dumping hard. Tommorow (and today if you can, I can't) will be incredible in Southern VT

loafer89

2" new at Sunday River this morning and it still snowing, so hopefully we get 3-5" for some powder turns on saturday.

soulseller

National Weather Service is now saying rain throughout most of NH, I had been hoping for a good day at Ragged tomorrow, bummer.

loafer89

It's raining here in Coventry and very cold (35.4F) but at least I have nothing to plow so I'll take it. I took the day off and will be picking up my son from school at 2pm and hightailing it to Sunday River.

jaywbigred

going to be at stratton this weekend. hope it's good!

I'll be there too, Tek, should be good. I'll be the one in the red pants with weed stickers all over my helmet (not really weed stickers, btw, they're Buckeyes), constantly waiting for the GF.

Yell "AlpineZone" if you see me.