• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/27 - 3/28 Storm Discussion Thread

loafer89

The NWS is predicting a snowstorm along and south of I-90 for thursday night and friday. At this point it does not look like the ski areas further north will benefit much from this storm.

I am hearing 4-8" of heavy wet snow possible along I-90

tcharron

The NWS is predicting a snowstorm along and south of I-90 for thursday night and friday. At this point it does not look like the ski areas further north will benefit much from this storm.

I am hearing 4-8" of heavy wet snow possible along I-90

Nice, I hadn't lookd at the forecast. Looks like 3" in southern NH predicted so far.

Of course, I also had my hopes up when last night there was a solid inch and it was belching snow LAST night, and I wake up to that same inch. Looks like it snowed more, then went to rain this morning, and washed half of the snow away. *pout*

The Sneak

where to go saturday, then?

will sunapee/ragged/crotched be too far north to get anything meaningful out of this?

jiminy?

loafer89

I would take this map with a grain of salt because the latest models push the snow even further south, but here is an early snowmap:

snow32608.png

Greg

Staff member
Maybe a final pow bump session Friday night at Sundown?

jaywbigred

Oh please please let this hold up--Stratton needs some bumps, aka I need something interesting to do at Stratton this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drjeff

I would take this map with a grain of salt because the latest models push the snow even further south, but here is an early snowmap:

snow32608.png

Cool, if this thing holds up and can maintain it's Northerly position, the snowbanks lining the walk at my place at Mount Snow will finally be taller then me! That definately wouldn't be a bad thing as we head into April! Plus, if 3 to 6" comes down the trees at Mount Snow would be ridiculously good, and I'd bet that runs like Beartrap, Ripcord, Yard Sale and Lower Nitro would have enough coverage over last weeks re-freezing event to re-open them and their SWEET looking bumps! :)

Me likey..maybe it can track a little further north and Stowe could get in on it...freshies for the Catskills..yummy

wa-loaf

Just saw the weather, looks like 3-5 in the Berksire East area. 1-3 for Wachusett. Didn't look like it went that far up into VT. This on Friday after rain on Thursday.

AMAC2233

It's now looking like more of a rain/sleet event for pretty much everywhere, except extreme NW CT, the Berkshires, and S VT. Any snow that falls east of that band will likely not stick, since in the spring, there needs to be a lot more snow to stick than in the winter.

A pretty weak March for snow in SNE. Last time we had accumulation near Boston was March 1, and it was half an inch. (The average is somewhere around 8 inches.) Strong start, weak finish to the winter down here.

But, this is just SNE. I guess it's only up in NNE that really matters, since most of the small hills down here are closed/closing now.

danny p

...winter Weather Advisory In Effect From Midnight Tonight To 4 Pm Edt Friday...

The National Weather Service In Burlington Has Issued A Winter Weather Advisory...which Is In Effect From Midnight Tonight To 4 Pm Edt Friday... For 3 To 7 Inches For Central And Southern Vermont As Well As Essex County New York.

Snow Will Develop Toward Midnight And Becoming Heavy At Times Late Tonight Into Friday Morning Across Essex County New York...as Well As Central And Southern Vermont. Total Snow Accumulations Of 3 To 7 Inches Are Expected By Friday Afternoon. Some Locally Higher Amounts Will Be Possible Across The Southern Green Mountains In Rutland And Windsor Counties.

Euler

This is odd - the Burlington NWS office issuing an advisory covering So VT, while the Albany office has not issued anything? What's up with that?

In any case, I'm ready for a bit more sticky, wet snow to bring the trees and the bumps at Mt. Snow back up to speed.

hammer

Winter Storm Watch? If so, looks good for southern NH... :snow:

/O.NEW.KGYX.WS.A.0011.080328T0600Z- 080328T2200Z/ INTERIOR YORK-COASTAL YORK-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP- STRAFFORD- INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-COASTAL ROCKINGHAM- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... BIDDEFORD...SACO...OLD ORCHARD BEACH... CLAREMONT...NEWPORT... CONCORD...LACONIA...TILTON- NORTHFIELD... MEREDITH...ROCHESTER... DOVER...DURHAM...DERRY... LONDONDERRY... EXETER...PORTSMOUTH... HAMPTON 1038 AM EDT THU MAR 27 2008

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE THIS EVENING OR SHORTLY AFTER MIDNIGHT NEAR THE CONNECTICUT RIVER VALLEY...SPREADING INTO SOUTHERN MAINE LATE TONIGHT. AS THE PRECIPITATION FALLS MORE HEAVILY... IT WILL CHANGE TO SNOW AS TEMPERATURES HOVER NEAR OR JUST BELOW THE FREEZING MARK. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY...BEFORE TAPERING OFF DURING THE AFTERNOON.
AT THIS POINT...IT APPEARS AS THOUGH A LARGE PORTION OF SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND YORK COUNTY MAINE MAY RECEIVE 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW. PLEASE REPORT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877- 633-6772...WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY.

Euler

Doing some more digging around looking into this thing:

The NWS probability map (red areas indicate >70% probility of more than 4 inches snow in the next 24 hrs. The little red circle at the bottom of VT is pretty much right around my house!

day1_psnow_gt_04.gif