• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are you doing right now?

AMAC2233

That's one way to loose weight that I never thought about! I'm going to go have my wisdom teeth pulled. :D

You won't, and even if you did, it wouldn't even be close to worth it. I had all of my wisdom teeth extracted in early June, for which I was knocked out - the effects of the anesthesia wearing off were brutal. It was followed by a really tough two weeks of intense painkillers (Vicoden = an extremely cruel drug.) Turns out I gained a few pounds since I was on the couch for 14 days. The worst part is possibly the nasty-tasting piece of cloth-like material they put over the wounds. Every morning, I woke up feeling like I swallowed a mouthful of crap in the middle of the night, not to mention it hurts like hell when they get taken out. I was then left with small and relatively deep holes where the teeth were, which I have been rinsing after every meal for the last month.

But that's not the end. A few days ago, I started feeling soreness and swelling in my bottom right gum, right at the hole from the tooth (which is pretty much closed/healed by now, a month and a couple weeks later.) Went in to the Surgeon's this afternoon, and thank God I did. Turns out some food/debris was underneath the bubble that had begun to form. After three quick shots of Novacaine, the Surgeon ripped open the swelling gum and removed the crap inside, followed by a bunch of squirts of water. inside the newly-formed hole. This procedure was likely the most painful 15 minutes of my life, since I was actually awake for it. Had this not been done, however, legitimate infections could have formed. Since then, there hasn't been too much pain. Unfortunately though, I have to wear another one of those nasty cloth-coverups on the wound for the next week. Yay. Can't wait til next Wednesday when they rip it off.

Although I've certainly regretted it, especially this afternoon, it was for the best that I had it done. The teeth that wore braces for 4 years did not deserve to go crooked. And, since I'm still pretty young, it wasn't as bad as it would have been anywhere from 10-30 years from now. (Sorry for the ranting, but this was a bad experience for me.)

krisskis

NINE DAYS YEE HAAA WAY TO GO KRISSIE -- Thats great -- YOU CAN DO IT

The first 3 weeks R teh TOUGHEST ---------------------------------- KEEP STRONG GIRL

Thanks everyone for your support. Im trying to stay strong...some times are really tough. I did notice the other day while swimming laps in the pool, that i was breathing so much easier...no huffing and puffing...LOL....its going to be nice this winter!!!

drjeff

You won't, and even if you did, it wouldn't even be close to worth it. I had all of my wisdom teeth extracted in early June, for which I was knocked out - the effects of the anesthesia wearing off were brutal. It was followed by a really tough two weeks of intense painkillers (Vicoden = an extremely cruel drug.) Turns out I gained a few pounds since I was on the couch for 14 days. The worst part is possibly the nasty-tasting piece of cloth-like material they put over the wounds. Every morning, I woke up feeling like I swallowed a mouthful of crap in the middle of the night, not to mention it hurts like hell when they get taken out. I was then left with small and relatively deep holes where the teeth were, which I have been rinsing after every meal for the last month.

But that's not the end. A few days ago, I started feeling soreness and swelling in my bottom right gum, right at the hole from the tooth (which is pretty much closed/healed by now, a month and a couple weeks later.) Went in to the Surgeon's this afternoon, and thank God I did. Turns out some food/debris was underneath the bubble that had begun to form. After three quick shots of Novacaine, the Surgeon ripped open the swelling gum and removed the crap inside, followed by a bunch of squirts of water. inside the newly-formed hole. This procedure was likely the most painful 15 minutes of my life, since I was actually awake for it. Had this not been done, however, legitimate infections could have formed. Since then, there hasn't been too much pain. Unfortunately though, I have to wear another one of those nasty cloth-coverups on the wound for the next week. Yay. Can't wait til next Wednesday when they rip it off.

I hate to add insult to injury, but as someone who regularly sees and hears the post wisdom tooth extractions cases, yours is in the definate minority of post surgery complications. 95% of the time, it's just some bruise like soreness for a day or 2 in the extraction site areas.

Although I've certainly regretted it, especially this afternoon, it was for the best that I had it done. The teeth that wore braces for 4 years did not deserve to go crooked. And, since I'm still pretty young, it wasn't as bad as it would have been anywhere from 10-30 years from now. (Sorry for the ranting, but this was a bad experience for me.)

I hate to add to things again, but wisdom teeth causing front teeth to "go crooked" is the 2nd biggest misconception that people have about teeth (#1 is that some folks have "soft teeth" as an excuse for why they get cavities - nope they just have a high frequency exposure to carbohydrates throughout the day). Tipping and crowding of one's front teeth as they age is a natural progression that will occur independently of whether you have 4 of the nastiest impacted wisdom teeth or if you were born congenitally missing all 4 wisdom teeth. What happens is that as we age, our teeth want to move towards the front/midline of our jaws. If the alignment of the teeth isn't dead on, slow tipping and /or rotation of the relatively small front teeth will occur over time(this is why you're told to wear your retainers as long as possible as they'll keep your teeth aligned and prevent the start of the tipping/rotation process over time). Why we dental folks thn will reccomend removal of ones wisdom teeth is that in certain cases they can actuall make it very difficult to clean where they contact tet tooth infront of them, thus leading to decay, and if this happens, that decay is often in the place where our drills can't get to it to fix, then potentially your looking at not just having your wisdom tooth removed, but also the tooth infront of it :eek:

A couple final minutes of net surfing before resting up for a grueling day in the heat,,,,setting 7 monuments in Northern New Jersey,,,

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I hate to add insult to injury, but as someone who regularly sees and hears the post wisdom tooth extractions cases, yours is in the definate minority of post surgery complications. 95% of the time, it's just some bruise like soreness for a day or 2 in the extraction site areas.
I had to have mine surgically removed (would never surface on their own) when I was 21 or 22. The day before Thanksgiving. Took the painkillers for maybe 1 day then switched to Tylenol. Yeah, the holes in my mouth didn't taste great, but it certainly wasn't the worst thing I've ever been through. Sorry your situation is more severe than usual.

Right now, I'm trying to wake up. Pretty tired this morning... Allergies are coming back so it must be related to that.

dmc

Getting ready for our company meeting...

Little company... Getting bigger and bigger... crazy...

dmc

All it's missing now is a polish guy ;)

We went to the bar after the meeting ....
The Chinese guys didn't want to come out to drink..
So we replaced them with 2 English guys and 1 Scottish guy...

drjeff

We went to the bar after the meeting ....
The Chinese guys didn't want to come out to drink..
So we replaced them with 2 English guys and 1 Scottish guy...

I'd guess it goes without saying that more than 1 round was ordered (Note my ancestral make up is essentially all English and Scottish ;) )

bvibert

Staff member

Sorry for your bad experience. :eek: I was just joking though. I have no intentions of having my wisdom teeth removed, unless there's some sort of major problem. Heck I just had a cavity filled on one of them (my second cavity ever :roll:) and still haven't paid for it, so I sure as heck am not going to remove them now. ;)

drjeff

Conference call with the CT State Police. Whoopie!!!!

Oh the places I could go with this ;)

Right now I'm just waiting for a patient to get numb so that I can cut a hole in their toooth and fix it back up :)

Moe Ghoul

Racking up some chips on the Wall Street roulette wheel. Staying outta the heat, I was up and around at 6AM watering the veggies and playing with the pups. The temp was already at a low simmer.

wa-loaf

Just a con-call this time. I done already paid my dues to society....

Ask them if you can get a free pass for speeding tickets. My wife had one once when she worked for the state and befriended one of the Staties. Just a business card with a note on the back.

Paul

Ask them if you can get a free pass for speeding tickets. My wife had one once when she worked for the state and befriended one of the Staties. Just a business card with a note on the back.

The way things are going, I'm about to get a speeding ticket for doing 60 in a 65.:cry: