• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/30/2008

Greg

Staff member
Show your support!

Sweet! This is what I like to see! I know powhunter is considering a pass there too. It's a great place to ski at night midweek or to take advantage of those local dumps we get a couple times per year. It helps you stay dialed between trips up north. They want to expand their terrain and a dedicated bump trail is being considered. My dream is to someday see a narrow (just wide enough to effectively support snowmaking and seeding bumps) run skier's left of Gunbarrel with top to bottom, side to side moguls. If they had that, I would rarely ski anywhere else south of the MRV. They could tout it as a double black diamond which would probably be the most challenging run in SNE.

I've mentioned this before, but if you haven't done so already, shoot the folks at Sundown a quick Email showing support of their mogul philosophy, especially if you are considering a pass next year because of the bumps:

customerservice@skisundown.com
chris@skisundown.com (mountain ops)
jarrod@skisundown.com (terrain/events guy)
dotty@skisundown.com (marketing)

I'm sure that they get more complaints on the bumps than they do praise, so we need to counter that a bit.

Greg

Staff member
sniff sniff, and this is where it all started 3 years ago.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/7300-seeding-bumps-sundown.html?highlight=seeding

I remember that first day on the noreaster bumps like it was yesterday. They hadnt been worked in at all and the rope was still up. I was feeling crazy that morning and ducked it. :wink: and now, they give us almost top to bottom bumps for basically the entire year and a bump contest to boot. Its really unbelievable when you think about it. It was just that little section of noreaster below temptor. now, basically all of noreaster, exhibition, and then noreaster down temptor.

No shit. So this was all your fault? :lol: ;) Here are some pics from the first time I skied bumps at Sundown and the first time I met Pat:

DSC06675.jpg

DSC06685.jpg

More pics: http://www.alpinezone.com/gallery-archives/album167

Looks like I was also [post="75167"]encouraging folks[/post] to provide positive feedback back then too. I guess it's been working cuz like Pat says, look at what we got this year? I will remain as vocal as ever on this subject. Chris Sullivan is a great guy and he "gets it."

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Maybe next year I'll join you guys in the bumps. Maybe. ;)

I do consider myself very lucky to live near Sundown. I know I could catch a lot of flak for this but Brian and I were talking the other day and I actually conceded that we'll probably never move to VT and I'm okay with that. That I really like our small mountain (hill?) experience at Sundown. And while it would be nice to be closer to the big(ger) mountains with a longer season, it's all daytrippable. But it's nice being able to call Sundown home and I would miss it, especially as our kids get older and start joining us on skis.

WICKEDBUMPER

nice meeting you guys on Sunday. once those bumps softened up, it was great. Too bad I had to leave @ 4:30. I would have loved to stick around longer. it was a pisser.
I never would have even thought about skiing sundown if not for AZ.
I was really bummed out about this whole season for me because my twins were born a few months ago and I wasnt able to have anything even remotely close to my usual ski season ( or life for that matter) but sunday helped me get that out of my system. I'm now at peace with the few times I got out.
anyways...it looks like there are gonna be a few more guys out on weds. nights next year.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
sniff sniff, and this is where it all started 3 years ago.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/7300-seeding-bumps-sundown.html?highlight=seeding

I remember that first day on the noreaster bumps like it was yesterday. They hadnt been worked in at all and the rope was still up. I was feeling crazy that morning and ducked it. :wink: and now, they give us almost top to bottom bumps for basically the entire year and a bump contest to boot. Its really unbelievable when you think about it. It was just that little section of noreaster below temptor. now, basically all of noreaster, exhibition, and then noreaster down temptor.
From the quoted thread link:
Agreed on all points. Apparently on Gunbarrel they are setting up race courses this season and Stinger's got the park so those two are out. Temptor with its double black rating would be an obvious choice, but as I understand it, the point of the bumps on Nor'easter (a blue) is to provide some bump learning terrain for ski school. The thinking is the double black rating of Temptor will freak out the students. Maybe they'll set up some more bumps on Temptor anyway for the experts. :idea: That would be sweet.
Woa, Temptor used to be double black? So I wasn't crazy when I decided that Temptor had a steeper pitch than Gunbarrel?

Greg

Staff member
Maybe next year I'll join you guys in the bumps. Maybe. ;)

I do consider myself very lucky to live near Sundown. I know I could catch a lot of flak for this but Brian and I were talking the other day and I actually conceded that we'll probably never move to VT and I'm okay with that. That I really like our small mountain (hill?) experience at Sundown. And while it would be nice to be closer to the big(ger) mountains with a longer season, it's all daytrippable. But it's nice being able to call Sundown home and I would miss it, especially as our kids get older and start joining us on skis.

We're very established where we are too which is why I want to see Sundown continue down this mogul path. It's really cool to think how many of us with younger kids (me, you guys, Pat, Chris, etc.) will probably see them all grow up skiing together at the mighty Sundown. I can see Abby leading the pack of the next generation of AZ bumpers! :lol: I asked her today if she likes skiing and she says, "no Daddy, I love it!" :) I would actually like to get more involved at Sundown in regards to the bumps and kids. Perhaps pushing for or maybe even being deeply involved in a mogul freestyle program or something. That seems like the next logical step.

Greg

Staff member
nice meeting you guys on Sunday. once those bumps softened up, it was great. Too bad I had to leave @ 4:30. I would have loved to stick around longer. it was a pisser.
I was really bummed out about this whole season for me because my twins were born a few months ago and I wasnt able to have anything even remotely close to my usual ski season ( or life for that matter) but sunday helped me get that out of my system. I'm now at peace with the few times I got out.
anyways...it looks like there are gonna be a few more guys out on weds. nights next year.

That sentence in bold is what it's all about! Thanks for heading up! And congrats on the twins. They'll be ripping the bumps too in a few years. See you next year, Pat!

Greg

Staff member
From the quoted thread link:
Woa, Temptor used to be double black? So I wasn't crazy when I decided that Temptor had a steeper pitch than Gunbarrel?

I think it used to be. I thought I heard once that was due to the terrain park being on it.

2knees

twins :eek: i have 2 but they are 2 years apart. It does impede on your skiing, obviously, but it gets easier once they arent infants anymore. congratulations also.

glad to hear you enjoyed it. the more people who talk positive about the bumps there, the better for all of us. If we could ever convince them to seed 1/3 of gunbarrel, the wide steeper run lookers right, it would just be sick.

2knees

I think it used to be. I thought I heard once that was due to the terrain park being on it.

thats it exactly. If you look at older maps, its actually a blue. not that anything there is really above that in the grand scheme of things.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:eek: And here I have been complaining about an infant and 2.5 year old!! Just think.... next year, you can get out more, and each year following. Before you know it, the twins will be joining you! :D

We're very established where we are too which is why I want to see Sundown continue down this mogul path. It's really cool to think how many of us with younger kids (me, you guys, Pat, Chris, etc.) will probably see them all grow up skiing together at the mighty Sundown. I can see Abby leading the pack of the next generation of AZ bumpers! :lol: I asked her today if she likes skiing and she says, "no Daddy, I love it!" :) I would actually like to get more involved at Sundown in regards to the bumps and kids. Perhaps pushing for or maybe even being deeply involved in a mogul freestyle program or something. That seems like the next logical step.
:D Mags talks all the time about skiing (though she invents ability she doesn't yet have). I can't wait to see all the kids skiing together. I'll never be as good as they will, but they'll be fun to watch!

2knees

thats it exactly. If you look at older maps, its actually a blue. not that anything there is really above that in the grand scheme of things.

now that i'm walking down memory lane some sundown history.

used to have 16 trails with gunbarrel and horn the only blacks. stinger, which is probably just as steep as gunny, only for a shorter distance, was also a blue. Horn was a black cause it dropped you onto gunbarrel below the top entrance.

Greg

Staff member
If we could ever convince them to seed 1/3 of gunbarrel, the wide steeper run lookers right, it would just be sick.

During my chat with Chris on Sunday, he mentioned their goal would be to take the racing off Gunbarrel and return it to the general public as a steep groomer. This would be if they could put in a a dedicated race trail to its left. They would also consider a dedicated bump run in that area. The latter would be effin sick! Imagine something maybe lower Nor'easter width with side-to-side bumps down that fall line? Man, oh man...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks everyone.
I figure as soon as they get potty trained...they get skis : )
You don't even have to wait that long. Our daughter was on skis this past winter at 2.5 years old (and in diapers). Granted,she only did what was accessible from the magic carpet. But it's a start! :D

Greg - Interesting possible developments. Hmmm...

MR. evil

Well Randi and I are going to be getting season passes to Sundown for next year. We did the savings card this year and each one of us had close to 20 days at Sundown.

It would be pretty sweet if they had a dedicated bump run. Heck, I would be happy if they made Temptor the dedicated bump run. Regardless, we will both be there on opening day next year.

MR. evil

I was thinking that next year it would be kind of cool to have a couple of bump competitions. Maybe one very informal one in the middle of the season (no prizes) and a more formal comp. like we just had towards the end of the season.

Another cool idea would be to see if we could convince Sundown to hold a bump clinic or two. I know 2 people that would sign up right now.

Greg

Staff member
Well Randi and I are going to be getting season passes to Sundown for next year. We did the savings card this year and each one of us had close to 20 days at Sundown.

It would be pretty sweet if they had a dedicated bump run. Heck, I would be happy if they made Temptor the dedicated bump run. Regardless, we will both be there on opening day next year.

Sweet! This really is great. AZ might only have had a barely noticeable effect on the overall bottom line, but a bunch of lift ticket purchases this season and a few new pass holders next year is something. The size of the Sundown crew grows each year. It's cool to see there has been some impact no matter how small it actually is.

Greg

Staff member
Heck, I would be happy if they made Temptor the dedicated bump run.

Chris asked me about that on Sunday and I said emphatically yes. If this is what you want, Email him yourself and reiterate it ( chris@skisundown.com ). Share your personal stories on what you like about the mountain and what you would like to see. They obviously take feedback very seriously.

I was thinking that next year it would be kind of cool to have a couple of bump competitions. Maybe one very informal one in the middle of the season (no prizes) and a more formal comp. like we just had towards the end of the season.

Also already being considered. They mentioned one in mid-January and one again in mid-March.

Another cool idea would be to see if we could convince Sundown to hold a bump clinic or two. I know 2 people that would sign up right now.

This was also discussed for this year with Dan DiPiro, but he couldn't swing it due to family matters. I will inquire about it for next year.

Again, I'm also going to suggest a freestyle mogul team for the kids. We need to get the younger generation interested in the bumps again. I bet if the park rats see some other kids ripping the bumps sporting mogul pants and skinny skis, they might want to get into it too. The more people that get into bumps, the better. There's nothing more inspiring than to see others rippin'.

MR. evil

Sweet! This really is great. AZ might only have had a barely noticeable effect on the overall bottom line, but a bunch of lift ticket purchases this season and a few new pass holders next year is something. The size of the Sundown crew grows each year. It's cool to see there has been some impact no matter how small it actually is.

Actually, just doing the math quickly in my head. I think Sundown Stands to loose some money by Randi and I getting seaons passes. Even with the savings cards, we spent ALOT there this season.

Does anyone know if the season pass prices listed on the Sundown web site are for the 2007/2008 season, or have they been updated for the 2008/2009 season?