• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/30/2008

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, 3/20/2008, 2:10 am - 6:15 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, Connecticut

Conditions: Soft bumps, bluebird, warm - high 40's

Trip Report: The original plan today was to ski with my daughter, but she's been sick all weekend so I went solo. Hit the Nor'easter/Temptor bumps all afternoon. After a few runs, I chatted with Chris Sullivan and Brian for a while, again showing appreciation for the bumps.

Then met up with powhunter and also WICKEDBUMPER and crew. Soon Brian joined us for a few runs as well as gmcunni and Mikey1. We all cut in some seriously radical lines. The lower kickers are gone as are the upper kickers, but the roller is still there allowing for some air opportunity if you want. Even got a run in with Jarrod Moss, Sundown terrain guy..

We thrashed until the closing bell. Brian rejoined Steve and me for the final few runs. We sat down right at about 6 pm for the final run and saw johnnypoach who came over for one final lift-serviced bump run after driving home from Loon this afternoon.

A fantastic finish to the Sundown bump season. However, Chris Sullivan indicates they may open next weekend if the weather cooperates. Some good times were had at the mighty Sundown this season. The mountain has plenty of snow so I hope next weekend happens.

I'll post some vid later.

MR. evil

Thanks for the report. I was really hoping to get out there today for one more day on the bumps. But Randi woke up this morning feeling like total crap. I didn't feel right taking off for the day to ski while she lied at home sick in bed. I guess I guess I am just a softy.

I really hope they decide to open next weekend.

Tim

2knees

Trip Report: The original plan today was to ski with my daughter, but she's been sick all weekend so I went solo. Hit the Nor'easter/Temptor bumps all afternoon. After a few runs, I chatted with Chris Sullivan and Brian for a while, again showing appreciation for the bumps.

Then met up with powhunter and also WICKEDBUMPER and crew. Soon Brian joined us for a few runs as well as gmcunni and Mikey1. We all cut in some seriously radical lines. The lower kickers are gone as are the upper kickers, but the roller is still there allowing for some air opportunity if you want. Even got a run in with Jarrod Moss, Sundown terrain guy..

We thrashed until the closing bell. Brian rejoined Steve and me for the final few runs. We sat down right at about 6 pm for the final run and saw johnnypoach who came over for one final lift-serviced bump run after driving home from Loon this afternoon.

A fantastic finish to the Sundown bump season. However, Chris Sullivan indicates they may open next weekend if the weather cooperates. Some good times were had at the mighty Sundown this season. The mountain has plenty of snow so I hope next weekend happens.

man i hope they open up next weekend. I kept having this salty discharge from my eyes today. not sure why until i realized i was missing a GREAT spring skiing day. glad you guys had a terrific farewell to their season.

Greg

Staff member
I guess I guess I am just a softy.

Yep. You are. No need to second guess yourself...

;)

man i hope they open up next weekend. I kept having this salty discharge from my eyes today. not sure why until i realized i was missing a GREAT spring skiing day. glad you guys had a terrific farewell to their season.

We missed you out there today, Pat. Having you and the Evils there would have made it complete. The bumps haven't changed much and skied very similarly to the bump comp. I hope the vid doesn't make you cry even more. I'll try to get to it later tonight, but my wife is hounding me to play the new Wii with her she bought today. Yep - we're geeks.

downhill04

I got in a bunch of runs from 10:30 to 1. The bumps on temptor were solid boiler plate up until 12:00. I made a bunch of runs down gunbarrel while the bumps were getting some much needed sun. It was nice to get a few turns in even though I was flying solo.

Did they ever get pond skimming in? I didn’t have the heart to tell the ski sundown crew that they were never going to get that trench filled with water the way they were going about it. Did they really think the snow was going to hold water with out some sort of tarp?

gmcunni

WOW, what a day! It was great to get a few runs with you guys today. Fantastic weather and awesome spring conditions.

bvibert

Staff member
Great day of skiing, I just wish I got more time on the hill. It was nice to get some runs with my wife though.

Did they ever get pond skimming in? I didn’t have the heart to tell the ski sundown crew that they were never going to get that trench filled with water the way they were going about it. Did they really think the snow was going to hold water with out some sort of tarp?

No. Apparently that's the way they've been doing it for several years, ever since they had some sort of incident with a liner. They figure today there was just too much snow and it was just leaching through.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks for the report. I was really hoping to get out there today for one more day on the bumps. But Randi woke up this morning feeling like total crap. I didn't feel right taking off for the day to ski while she lied at home sick in bed. I guess I guess I am just a softy.

I really hope they decide to open next weekend.

Tim
Aw, c'mon. Brian would have gone anyway. ;) It was very gallant of you to stay home with Randi. Honestly.

Not unless you count the big puddles at the base at the end of the day. :D

I'm happy that I was able to get back out today. Didn't have the radical experience you all did ;) but even just the mellow cruising on the greens put a smile on my face. I only got out for 1 hr in the morning (exclusively on Sunnyside) and about 1.5 hrs in the evening.... and it was a bit challenging fitness-wise after being off skis (and pretty much all activities) for 6 weeks. The biggest challenge, however, was my lack of confidence. But it got better as the day wore on. Knee is achy but it was well worth it. :D

I'm also happy to report that I love my new skis. Boots are still growing on me.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
It was very gallant of you to stay home with Randi. Honestly.

Nah. It was a terrible mistake. Be honest with him, willya? Randi would've wanted him to go. Sack up next time, Tim-meister! ;) High 40's, bluebird skies, and soft bumps. Days like this are few and far between.

Awesome day. Good to ski with Gary who I only met briefly at Sugarbush last week. Guy rips and manhandles those Volkl 724 Pros through the bumps with little effort. And if anyone thinks a park rat like Jarrod can't ski bumps, the video will clearly show otherwise. Niiiiiiice rippin'. The radical on fire thrashing award goes to Mikey1 though. On fire today.

Quick pace today for 4+ hours. I didn't realize how tired I was until I ate dinner. Now a few beers later and I'm about to fall over. Vid is compiling now so I'll force myself to stay awake until that's up. I rocked the knee flags today just for Pat. I hope next weekend happens, but if this was it, it was a rad way to end the official Sundown bump season. I wonder if johnnypoach is still up there toolin' around in the woods... :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Vids

YouTube still needs some more time to cook and the high res is still uploading. It's a big file at around 155 MB so it need another hour or so. Enjoy.

High Res: Sundown - 3/30

YouTubage:

Enjoy.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice vid Greg! Thanks for including my lame ass attempt in it. I just couldn't seem to get the hang of it yesterday. I felt like a total tool every time I hit the bumps...

gmcunni

Greg, thanks for posting the video and including me in it. My daughter watched it over my shoulder this morning and was very impressed that I showed up on YouTube in something besides the family movies we make. :-D

Wish I could have hung out later yesterday. Not sure if I'll get out again this season but if that was my last day it was a good one to end on.

downhill04

Nice vid Greg. I wish the bumps were that soft when I was skiing them. I took vid of one run. I will try to post it tonight so you can see how hard the bumps were at 10:30.

2knees

damn, so glad i got to stay home and spend sunday completely cleaning out my basement. :roll: At least i found a nice roach in my toolbox.

Mikey1 and Gmcunni were killing it. nice job guys. the rest of you suck. :flame:

who's the dude in the tan pants? real nice form.

Last edited:

2knees

Nice vid Greg. I wish the bumps were that soft when I was skiing them. I took vid of one run. I will try to post it tonight so you can see how hard the bumps were at 10:30.

the only chance i had yesterday was to be there for opening bell and be home by noon. 2 hours of skiing. temp in wethersfield at 7:30 was like 28 degrees. I figured it wasnt gonna be worth it. now i'm glad i made that decision.

Greg

Staff member
who's the dude in the tan pants? real nice form.

Sundown's very own, Jarrod Moss. Like I said, who knew a park rat could slay bumps like that...? ;) :lol:

Mikey1

Greg - nice job on the video as usual! Great to get in another couple of hours with you and great to meet some new guys. Let's hope Sundown does re-open next weekend!

bvibert

Staff member
Let's hope Sundown does re-open next weekend!

I'm really hoping so too. From what I gathered if the weather holds out then they'll open. Right now it's looking like rain Friday into Saturday from the forecast I just saw... :( Still a fews days from now though, hopefully the forecast takes a change for the better! :D