• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Needs more hikers.

Greg

Staff member
Wifey doesn't like hiking either? :(

Brian got me into hiking (just like skiing).

No we do all hike together. She likes to ski too; just not whacky about it like me. And in both cases the terrain I like to hike or ski is not at all like the terrain she likes to hike or ski...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can see that. I'm not a speed freak even on skis though. I really enjoy the sense of "peace" you get while hiking once the endorphins kick in. Natural high. There's also nothing like spending a few nights in the backcountry. I used to hike and backpack a lot during my teens and 20's. Need to get back into it. The problem is I cash in so many chips to ski during the winter, it's not an easy thing to pull off.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a speed freak either, but the feeling is different. The easist way I could put it is:

Hiking is like walking around an amusement park. Yes just strolling around can be fun, checking out the scenery etc. Skiing is actually getting on the rides.

Don't get me wrong, I like to get out in the woods in the summer, enjoy camping etc, but for me, the enjoyment doesn't come close to being at the beach on a day with huge waves.

Greg

Staff member
Hiking is like walking around an amusement park. Yes just strolling around can be fun, checking out the scenery etc. Skiing is actually getting on the rides.

Guess it depends on where you hike. Getting above treeline is not like any amusement park I've ever been too...

Flume_and_Lincoln_from_Lafayette.jpg

washington2.jpg

lafayette1.jpg

Time for me to get back into it....

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Ahh finally all of the skiers check out the backpacking forum. He he. Yeah I pretty much ski from snow fall until snow melt, but I keep up with my winter hiking. Lots of you have done many of the places I go all the time. If anyone else is out in these areas over the next month, let me know.

Del Water Gap (either side), Rickett's Glen, Hickory Run, Glen Onoko, Lehigh Gorge, really anywhere along the AT in PA, Nescopeck, etc...

LongStep

water holes/ natural water slides is a nice way to combine the swimming/hiking experience. Up north there are scores of natural water slides and waterfalls to enjoy. We had alot of fun last summer exploring and swimming and then hiking out to the cars.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Amusement park rides make me sick. Hiking is much better! (Though I love skiing far more....)

I've only done 1 overnight trip on the AT in Mass. Backpacking class in college with Brian. Our teacher lost one of the students overnight and the local fire dept ended up dragging all of us out of the woods the next day (perhaps to prevent him from losing more?). It was quite the trip.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Greg and X-Linked

You guys are missing the point. The comparison wasn't between hiking and walking in an amusement park. No where did I say I prefer the amusement park over a good hike. It was about two different experiences in the same setting and what is more appealing to me.

When I'm at an amusement park, I'd rather be riding the rides than walking around. When I'm in the mountains, I'd rather be skiing than hiking. Another....when I'm at the beach, I'd rather be on a board in the waves than walking the shoreline.

I don't dislike walking on the beach, hiking or walking around an amusement park....it's just that my preference is to enjoy all of those settings with an activity that involves more thrill / adreneline. I have found more of that in the ocean than I can hiking, so playing in the waves has become my preferred off season activity.

like at Popham Beach for instance

pophambeach.jpg

Last edited:

SKIQUATTRO

Deadhead...if you are ever down in the NY area let me know and we'll grab a surf..and if I'm up in your neck of the woods with my 6/5/4 full hooded in August i'll ping ya!!

twinplanx

The beaches on long island are amazing. I lived in east morcihes for 25 years and Cupsogue was one of the most relaxing beutiful beaches I have ever chilled on.

No kidding ? I've been living in East Moriches for almost three years now. Where did you live? Cupsogue is kind of short but sweet(IMHO) I pretty much grew up on Smith Point, 6 miles of outer beach and zero hamptons vibe. Hey with all these "surfers" here on AZ why don't we start a new "beach/boating" forum? Sorry hikers

deadheadskier

Staff member
Deadhead...if you are ever down in the NY area let me know and we'll grab a surf..and if I'm up in your neck of the woods with my 6/5/4 full hooded in August i'll ping ya!!

I certainly take you up the offer if I'm ever down that way. Mind you, I'm a 'gaper' surfer, only have used a body board so far. Perhaps this summer I'll give a real surf board a try. One thing I do know is that outside of skiing, I've never experienced something in a sport so great as when you catch a good wave....how it draws you back then lifts you up to its top and just cruise on in to shore. LOVE IT

Rushski

I must get out and hike more than in previous years.

Getting back into fishing and specifically dabbling in flyfishing may get me more in the woods this Summer to hunt out some decent trout streams...

LongStep

No kidding ? I've been living in East Moriches for almost three years now. Where did you live? Cupsogue is kind of short but sweet(IMHO) I pretty much grew up on Smith Point, 6 miles of outer beach and zero hamptons vibe. Hey with all these "surfers" here on AZ why don't we start a new "beach/boating" forum? Sorry hikers

I live close to Newport beach. I actually live in NH now but for 25 years I lived in EMO. My folks still live there so its nice to head there in the summer and enjoy the warm weather and great ocean temps. Yea and the Hamptons vibe is a bummer but we used to shoot down the beach at Cupsogue and head towards the inlet. Nobody really went there and it was like having the place to yourself.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
My sister and family have lived in East Moriches for the past 15 years or so. Nice town, I get down there a few times a year but this year they bought a place at Gore and go up most winter weekends. I plan on hitting the place in Gore this summer for some Daks hiking.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
I went to school in Central Islp and used to go out to Montague all the time. There is a place called Fire Island that you can only access by boat somewhere right there as well, correct?

LongStep

I went to school in Central Islp and used to go out to Montague all the time. There is a place called Fire Island that you can only access by boat somewhere right there as well, correct?

I think your referring to Montauk which is on the east end of Long Island. Fire island is the barrier beach that runs east to west along the island. You can cross numerous bridges to get to the beach in the middle of the island. Some parts are only accessible via boat. Long Island has some of the nicer beaches out on the east end. I would recommend anyone to go for the day and enjoy the water.