• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/31-2/1 Storm Discussion Thread

JD

Website
hotmail.com
weatherunderground is saying this one will go south of us AGAIN! Still a ways off but Christ, give us one, just ONE storm this year.

B

beswift

Right now, I have 6" to 8" of fresh light powder on my deck, and it is still falling. Is it the tailend of a Nor'Easter, the start of a trend or the beginning of the next ice age? It seems like it hasn't stopped snowing for a week. I'm waxing with green for today. The Cardinal has taken the bottle feeder over and sits royally even with the snow falling. What a stunning sight. I wonder if you turkeys would look as impressive in your snowsuits.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
When I was a kid, I used to snipe the bird feeder with my BB gun. My grand parents would be sitting in the breakfast nook eating grape fruit, looking out in the freshly whitened winter landscape, and dead birds would be collecting in the snow underneath the feeder. Chicadees were my favorite target, one shot, one kill.

Cardinals wee too tough, I'd plug 'em, but they'd fly away anyway....no fun in that! :blink: :( :-? :dunce:

subdude

dmc said:
Looks like a monday to Tuesday event now...

Correct, looking like a Mon-Tues event. Looking at the models for 3-5 days out there an outside chance that this storm could stall but all the ingredients have to work perfect. If ridging takes place in the PJ (Polar Jet) there's the possibility that the storm to could cutoff from the flow and just sit out in the ocean and stall creating a 48-72hr storm. Dumping 2-4ft in places. Of course this is only if all the ingedients fall together at the same time. Either way there should be another storm for New England early next week. :beer:

skijay

I hope what I am hearing about milder air & this storm are incorrect. If any NCP comes from this think of the damage people could have to their homes. I have huge snow drifts on my roof on the south side from the Saturday / Sunday storm. It looks to be about 3 feet on the edges.

I know first hand what happens when there is a large amount of snow on a roof and the rain comes. $6,000 later I had a new roof. The roofer that installed the orignal roof when the house was built cut corners that showed up during a snow/rain storm.

hammer

skijay said:
I know first hand what happens when there is a large amount of snow on a roof and the rain comes. $6,000 later I had a new roof. The roofer that installed the original roof when the house was built cut corners that showed up during a snow/rain storm.
Do you have a warranty on the new roof? I had my roof shingles replaced last year (they did it in 10 degree weather!) and the place I went with has a warranty that I hope will cover me if I have problems.

Greg

Staff member
JD said:
That snow line pisses me off! :angry:
Whoa! That timing and track certainly changed. Is this still the same storm orginially predicted for next Monday/Tuesday?

ctenidae

That's a pretty massive change just from this morning. NOAA still says "I dunno", though, so there's some hope.

subdude

ctenidae said:
That's a pretty massive change just from this morning. NOAA still says "I dunno", though, so there's some hope.

This storm is a miss for New England this weekend the Mid-Atlantic will hit the jackpot on this one before the storm goes out to sea. However, early next week New England could see a significant snowfall Tues-Wed time frame still way to early to tell.

dmc

subdude said:
ctenidae said:

This storm is a miss for New England this weekend the Mid-Atlantic will hit the jackpot on this one before the storm goes out to sea. However, early next week New England could see a significant snowfall Tues-Wed time frame still way to early to tell.

This has been a very confusing meteorlogical event...

ctenidae

My brain hurts now. I think I'll just go home and dream of making turns all weekend. yes, yes I will.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I recomend that we collectively stop looking at projections further then 4 days out. I just can't take it anymore. :blink: :blink:

Zand

This storm is a flop, but an ocean storm may back in on Thursday, so we can keep our eyes peeled.

Greg

Staff member
JD said:
I recomend that we collectively stop looking at projections further then 4 days out. I just can't take it anymore. :blink: :blink:
Agreed. If anything I won't rename threads until there's a more imminent chance of them materializing... :oops: