• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman weather question

kcyanks1

The TFT page gives a link to a weather forecast for Jackson, NH. How much should I adjust the temps downwards to get a decent estimate for temps at Tucks? Just trying to figure out how I should pack/intend to dress on Sunday. I'm only taking a small day pack, so I can't fit many extra layers in there. I was thinking a thin baselayer and then either a shell as a jacket or a jacket-like thing made out of the base-layer material, and skipping the normal jacket. For pants I was just going to wear nylon excercise pants.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just look up Tuckerman Ravine, NH on NOAA for a point forecast. Mount Washington Obs has an autoroad temperature profile on their web page that is helpful. If you are unsure on how to pack, always better to have too much than too little. For 40-60, I usually have a long sleeve base layer, fleece, and wind breaker and ski pants for the bottoms though sometimes I wear shorts on the skin/hike up if it is warm enough. Parka/Jacket probably not needed if you have an appropriate three layer system from my experience but everyone has different layering needs.

kcyanks1

Thanks for the tips. I was probably going to dress a little light, it seems. Can you refill water at Hojos or anywhere along the way? For the forecast, should I go to http://www.nws.noaa.gov/? That doesn't seem to be working when I look up "Tuckerman Ravine".

kcyanks1

Yes, there's a pump at HoJos.

I use http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/ for weather forecasts. It's the most appropriate for Tuckerman.

Thanks! I figure plan for something somewhere between the valley and summit forecasts, maybe closer to the latter? Looks like it'll be cool then.. Seems like valley vs. summit is a 20 degree difference on the high end, much bigger than I would've imagined.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Thanks! I figure plan for something somewhere between the valley and summit forecasts, maybe closer to the latter? Looks like it'll be cool then.. Seems like valley vs. summit is a 20 degree difference on the high end, much bigger than I would've imagined.

Note: there's no rule of thumb for this, sometimes it's colder, sometime it could be almost the same, other times it's inverted and could actually be warmer on top. You should be prepared for anything. I've been there three time and on two of those occasions I had to strip off layers.

kcyanks1

Thanks. Is there any concern about hiking up the bowl in just ski boots (w/o any attachments)? I figure obviously I'll just use normal boots for the hike up to the base of the ravine.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
You mean without crampons? At this time of year I don't think they're needed, but other people won't go up without them. If you have regular alpine boots I'm not sure most crampons will fit. Other traction devices (like Stabilizers and MicroSpikes) are not really appropriate for the Ravine.

kcyanks1

You mean without crampons? At this time of year I don't think they're needed, but other people won't go up without them. If you have regular alpine boots I'm not sure most crampons will fit. Other traction devices (like Stabilizers and MicroSpikes) are not really appropriate for the Ravine.

Thanks. I figured crampons wouldn't be necessary at this time of year (and was hoping that someone would say that). I didn't realize though that you couldn't use them with normal alpine boots (which is what I have). At the time I posted I wasn't totally sure about the device, as someone I'm going with (also his first time there, at least in the winter/for skiing) mentioned something that he said was not crampons. He since sent a link and it was MicroSpikes. You'd say those are not helpful for the ravine itself or the trail leading up to it?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
You'd say those are not helpful for the ravine itself or the trail leading up to it?
They could be somewhat helpful on the way up to the Ravine but they are better on softer boots in mid-winter conditions. With all the slush and corn on the trails they don't have enough bite. And they're best for relatively flat terrain, so climbing with them isn't helpful.

kcyanks1

They could be somewhat helpful on the way up to the Ravine but they are better on softer boots in mid-winter conditions. With all the slush and corn on the trails they don't have enough bite. And they're best for relatively flat terrain, so climbing with them isn't helpful.

Thanks. I won't bother making any last minute purchases then.

kcyanks1

Only if you buy new boots that are a bit big. :lol:

Wiseguys, a dime a dozen!

Oh, forget everyones advise about warm clothes, you'll do fine with tshirt and shorts, I mean, it's May!;)

I didn't make you put your feet up as your avitar :) T-shirt and shorts it is!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
No need for crampons, plenty of boot pack.
Not after 7" of snow and wind loading. But I suspect there may already be the begins of folks rekicking in steps before the weekend. The boot ladders most certainly will not be as clear cut and well set this weekend as last. Still, cramps will likely not be required though some folks prefer them. As per the previous thread, if you decide on cramps, and ice ax is also required and you should practice with them before going into terrain that a fall could hurt you more with cramps than without them if you fail to arrest correctly. My opinion is climb a less steep gully in ski boots only and you'll be fine.

kcyanks1

Not after 7" of snow and wind loading. But I suspect there may already be the begins of folks rekicking in steps before the weekend. The boot ladders most certainly will not be as clear cut and well set this weekend as last. Still, cramps will likely not be required though some folks prefer them. As per the previous thread, if you decide on cramps, and ice ax is also required and you should practice with them before going into terrain that a fall could hurt you more with cramps than without them if you fail to arrest correctly. My opinion is climb a less steep gully in ski boots only and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the tips. My plan was to do Left Gully unless advised otherwise, with Hillman's possibly as a backup.