• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hancock Loop (again) 1.30. 05

C

Caleb

Date(s) Hiked: 1-30-05 & 1-31-05

Trails(s) Hiked: Hancock Loop Trail

Total Distance: 9.3 miles

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Snow & Ice

Special Required Equipment: Crampons, Poles

Trip Report:

Up North, down South, overnighted along the base just above the Cedar Brook intersection. 6-12" new snow over crusty ice. The trail itself is well-defined and packed down to the ice layer. The colder temps have solidified all the ice bridges.. No problem there. Tried to glissade down the S Hancock trail. problem. would have been better with an ice axe, which I didn't have. The night temp was around 0 F, not as cold as it's been recently. Overall a nice hike. Great views of the Kanc peaks from the N Hancock.lookout . Awesome view of Signal Ridge, Carrigain, and Mt Wash and the S Pres ridge from the N - S Hancock ridgeline.

Got jumped by some turkeys on the way up. Other than that, save a woodpecker and a few nuthatches, didn't see any critters.

I've been interested in a bushwhack to Carrigain Pond, situated between 'middle' Hancock and Mt. Carrigain. I picked out the ridgeline for descent, but opted out (chickened out) because the snow load on the N facing ridge was 3-5 feet, more than I wanted to deal with.