• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2009 Ski Sundown Mogul Competitions

Greg

Staff member
Don't see any mention of the skiercross on the Events line-up for next year. I'll gladly take two bump comps instead. Rad.

awf170

It is so on. I'll try my best to make the January comp. Just the fact that I'll be able to shut up the arrogant moguls nuts will give enough determination to drive 2+ hours to your lame 600 vert hill. If I can beat Greg I think my life will be complete, and you guys will never hear the end of it. Oh man am I pumped.

So how much of this run is based on time? I know this is the only category I have a chance of doing well in. Well maybe I'll do well in the airs category too if I don't wreck, which isn't likely.

Greg

Staff member
It is so on. I'll try my best to make the January comp. Just the fact that I'll be able to shut up the arrogant moguls nuts will give enough determination to drive 2+ hours to your lame 600 vert hill. If I can beat Greg I think my life will be complete, and you guys will never hear the end of it. Oh man am I pumped.

It would be great to have you participate Austin. Seriously. But there is no way in hell you will beat me. I can promise you that one. ;) I suspect you'll look a lot like your avatar heading down the course... :roll:

So how much of this run is based on time? I know this is the only category I have a chance of doing well in. Well maybe I'll do well in the airs category too if I don't wreck, which isn't likely.

Typically, bump comps are 50% turns, 25% air and 25% speed. However, I think a skier that skis relatively clean that pulls away from his opponent, even if his opponent technically has better turns has a good shot at winning the heat. Tough to give a win to the guy that's way back. Mogul competition judging is pretty subjective. We all want to do well, but I'm there more to support the event/mogul philosophy. The vibe at the top of the course last season was undeniable too. Lots of fun! With that said, speed will be one of the items I plan to address this year. I need to get faster in the bumps to be competitive.

MR. evil

Even if you loose in the first round you will still get to watch Greg get destroyed by 2knees……………...or Powhunter……………or JonnyPoach.

That alone should make your 2 hour drive worth while.

2knees

We all want to do well, but I'm there more to support the event/mogul philosophy.

You say this cause you cant possibly compete with us big boys.

With that said, speed will be one of the items I plan to address this year. I need to get faster in the bumps to be competitive.

I think you need alot more then speed to be competitive. But by all means, buy yourself another pair of fancy nancy pants so you look good standing around after you've been eliminated.

ooohh a whole summer of trash talking. BRING IT

Greg

Staff member
Even if you loose in the first round you will still get to watch Greg get destroyed by 2knees……………...or Powhunter……………or JonnyPoach.

Perhaps. But definitely not MR. evil. Let's remind everybody that you were the one that tracked down my old mis-mounted Cabrawlers just so you could more like me...

I think you need alot more then speed to be competitive. But by all means, buy yourself another pair of fancy nancy pants so you look good standing around after you've been eliminated.

Yeah. Okay Mr. Adidas... :roll:

2knees

Mr. Adidas....

Dude i could wear a burlap sack as my outfit and still run you off the course.

speaking of getting run off the course we need to convince 180, powbmps, JimG, Jack97 etc to come on down.

awf170

Hey Greg I have a deal for you:

You beat me, I'll go ski bumps the whole day with you somewhere up north, no glades at all. Just bumps, the whole day. (You can make the harsher if you'd like, I just can't think of anything better)

I beat you, and you have go touring with me. I have all the all the equipment you need, so all you need to show up with are poles and boots.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mr. Adidas....

speaking of getting run off the course we need to convince 180, powbmps, JimG, Jack97 etc to come on down.

Count me in for the Saturday, January comp

MR. evil

Perhaps. But definitely not MR. evil. Let's remind everybody that you were the one that tracked down my old mis-mounted Cabrawlers just so you could more like me...
:roll:

I only bought those CaBrawlers becuase I couldn't find the same skis that Pat has. I would much rather be more like him:wink:

madskier6

Wow, you guys are brutal with the trash talking. And it's only early June. What's it gonna be like in late Dec - early Jan? :lol: I'll definitely be there for at least one, if not both, of the comps. That was a hell of a fun day!

Greg

Staff member
Hey Greg I have a deal for you:

You beat me, I'll go ski bumps the whole day with you somewhere up north, no glades at all. Just bumps, the whole day. (You can make the harsher if you'd like, I just can' think of anything better)

I beat you, and you have go touring with me. I have all the all the equipment you need, so all you need to show up with are poles and boots.

Deal! But maybe I'd tour with you even after kicking your ass.

Riiiiiiight. Kinda like you did against MrMagic last year?

Looks to me like it was the other way around, dontcha think? :-o

(High res for your viewing pleasure.)

I only bought those CaBrawlers becuase I couldn't find the same skis that Pat has. I would much rather be more like him:wink:

Puh-lease. See above.

Now let's not get crazy. The Sundown comp is the only chance us hacks have to look cool. Those guys would totally steal our thunder... :lol: GSS is welcome though. ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Excellent!! Deadheads represent!! Im gonna bring my boombox with some choice shows for your listening pleasure, but more importantly to piss greg off !!

steve

Should be a good time. I'd imagine at that time of year in southern NE its gonna take a little luck to have a soft course.

Greg

Staff member
Should be a good time. I'd imagine at that time of year in southern NE its gonna take a little luck to have a soft course.

It will still be during the mountain's snowmaking window. They do a pretty good job keeping their bumps skiable during the colder weeks and will consistently top coat the moguls with snowmaking as needed. It's that period between when the snowmaking stops but it's still cold, and before it's warm enough to get spring softening that it gets a bit ugly. Anyway, this is CT. We could easily have spring bumps in January. :blink: Knowing Chris Sullivan though, he's going to do all he can to have a decent course for the January comp. The March comp is almost sure to have spring bumps. Gunbarrel too, remember! :)

awf170

It would be great to have you participate Austin. Seriously. But there is no way in hell you will beat me. I can promise you that one. ;) I suspect you'll look a lot like your avatar heading down the course... :roll:

Personally I think my avatar would have pretty good form. I know my A&E isn't nearly that good. Heck his pole planting is even better than mine.

My only problem is going to be the upper section of the course. The air, I can go bigger and throw more spread then anyone in that video, and the lower section I can just straight line. That upper section though, oh man, I think I actually need to learn how to absorb bumps, or I'll just wreck after like 3 turns. Maybe I'll just try to ski the whole course as fast as I can and hope that I don't completely wreck. :dunce:

BTW: Tell Sundown to make that landing area longer. I'll probably land in like the 2nd or 3rd row of bumps off that jump (then obviously wreck).

2knees

My only problem is going to be the upper section of the course. The air, I can go bigger and throw more spread then anyone in that video, and the lower section I can just straight line. That upper section though, oh man, I think I actually need to learn how to absorb bumps, or I'll just wreck after like 3 turns. Maybe I'll just try to ski the whole course as fast as I can and hope that I don't completely wreck. :dunce:

BTW: Tell Sundown to make that landing area longer. I'll probably land in like the 2nd or 3rd row of bumps off that jump (then obviously wreck).

throw more spread??? not sure i want to know what you mean.

Trust me, i dont think you'd want to land in the bumps off those pads. They need to build them so that we go up, not out. The landings got a bit rough after all the wipeouts and windshield skid turns from the hacks. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
The landings got a bit rough after all the wipeouts and windshield skid turns from the hacks. :lol:

Easy there, bub. I can easily put together another short video highlighting your weak spread eagle as you "roll down the windows" air. Hmmm.......lemme think. That just so happens to be the air right before you laid down in the above vid. Not a good run for you, was it? :lol: