• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another gear thread....What do you have? What do you want?

mondeo

Almost positive that Fischer stopped making the Lunars, I think they stopped making mogul skis in general.

Still have them on their website, though not linked from anything. But then, K2 and Rossi don't have anything on their site about their bump skis, and Elan doesn't have anything on the Bloodlines yet.

• I wouldn't mind getting on a pair of Hart F17 bump skis

I'm wary of the sidecut on those- it's a lot like the Rossis. The ones I really want to try out are the Elans and the IDOnes. Also interested in the Heads- I've heard they're unforgiving, but they have similar dimensions to the K2s. Think a stiffer tail with the Heads, though.

Trekchick

I'm wary of the sidecut on those- it's a lot like the Rossis. The ones I really want to try out are the Elans and the IDOnes. Also interested in the Heads- I've heard they're unforgiving, but they have similar dimensions to the K2s. Think a stiffer tail with the Heads, though.
I've been on the Rossi's and felt that they were uninspirational. Though I like Elan, I was never on their bump ski. I enjoyed the K2 Cabrawler, and fell in love with the Hart F17 the second I started demoing it!!
There will be demos available this coming season. Do yourself a favour and give them a try!

Greg

Staff member
Also interested in the Heads- I've heard they're unforgiving, but they have similar dimensions to the K2s. Think a stiffer tail with the Heads, though.

Not sure if they fattened them up, but I can tell you the older Mad Trix Moguls that Pat and Brian have are a lot straighter and narrower overall than the Cabrawler. I think the F17 will suit my bump style (more turny) better.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Really, man. I mean, the only reason I got my Kryptons is that they matched my green jacket and black pants...

I could maybe see basing clothing colors based on what gear you have, but really, who cares? I never even thought about that until I read an article that mentioned how you shouldn't base your choice of boots on how well they matched your jacket. They aren't fashion accessories, they're gear, dammit!

Can't argue that regarding the boots. Performance is all that should matter. That said; Full Tilt boots are just about as ugly a boot as I've ever seen. I won't say I am not considering them for my next pair because I am, but I do wish they were a bit more attractive than the ridiculous bumble bee pattern they have going on right now. Plain black would do just fine.

Trekchick

Not sure if they fattened them up, but I can tell you the older Mad Trix Moguls that Pat and Brian have are a lot straighter and narrower overall than the Cabrawler. I think the F17 will suit my bump style (more turny) better.
Greg, how do you like your cabrawler?
That is the one other bump ski that I liked. But between the two I liked the F17 better, would take the Cabrawler as a close second.

Philpug

I'm all set with hard goods; dynastar twister, k2 axis x and axis xr. Boots, Dalbello Rampage and Cross; I got great end of season deals on both. Good thing I did, given those boots fit me fine, the rumor mill over at TGR is that next season's krypton will have larger volume.
Not the case. Same volume.

Next season wants:
  • New poles with sturdier baskets than the 4-speeds. I blow through those like nothing.
  • I wouldn't mind getting on a pair of Hart F17 bump skis
I will be posting demo dates here.

Yes, they have more sidecut, mogulskiing is evolving and sidecut is a part of it. With the speeds that are being obtained in the courses the sidecut (and our construction) is working to an advantage. The F17 on the cutting edge as the premier mogul ski.

Hopefully it will.

jack97

Full Tilt boots are just about as ugly a boot as I've ever seen. I won't say I am not considering them for my next pair because I am, but I do wish they were a bit more attractive than the ridiculous bumble bee pattern they have going on right now. Plain black would do just fine.

Take those full tilts out in the bumps, you wont' score any style points from most skiers/riders but you will score credibility points from serious bumpers.

True story, riding up the lift, a couple were talking about how the pole should match the ski and bindings, I bursted out in laughter and was still chuckling when we got off the lift. I guess I won't be impressing those who are color coordinated ;)

Greg

Staff member
Greg, how do you like your cabrawler?
That is the one other bump ski that I liked. But between the two I liked the F17 better, would take the Cabrawler as a close second.

Love them actually, but they're the only bump ski I've ever skied so I have little to compare them to.

jack97

Love them actually, but they're the only bump ski I've ever skied so I have little to compare them to.

Thats why I want to try something different; the twister is tad bit skinnier and has less shape than an all mtn ski (circa early 2000). I was thinking about the cabrawer, volkl dragon slayers or heads which has a straighter shape. Not sure about the heads, it might be to stiff for my weight.

2knees

Thats why I want to try something different; the twister is tad bit skinnier and has less shape than an all mtn ski (circa early 2000). I was thinking about the cabrawer, volkl dragon slayers or heads which has a straighter shape. Not sure about the heads, it might be to stiff for my weight.

I'm a Buck 40 soaking wet. the heads are fine.

Trekchick

To give you a comparison.
I thought the cabrawler was decent to ski out side of the bumps, though not ideal. Many bump skis are good for bumps and only bumps.
The F17(for lack of a better comparison) was somewhat similar to the cabrawler, and yet its totally different. Kind of like you gave it a shot of steroids and Valium at the same time.
Like you could attack the bumps without a care in the world.
I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

How much are the F17s? I saw that the Hart big mountain skis are retailing for $1,000 with no binders..wowser..

jack97

I'm a Buck 40 soaking wet. the heads are fine.

You're killin me bro, I bring home another set of skis.... I might be sleeping downstairs with the dogs for a while.

Hmm.... at least they don't steal the blankets away from me during the middle of the night.

Trekchick

How much are the F17s? I saw that the Hart big mountain skis are retailing for $1,000 with no binders..wowser..
You know, I'm embarrassed to say, I'm not sure. I just knew I wanted them so I have my sights set on them.
I'll let you know when I get my facts and figures together.

One thing I know for sure, my ski quiver doesn't cost as much as my husband's dirtbike quiver. :smile:

mondeo

Heads are 89-60-80, K2s are 92-66-82. I know the heads look a lot narrower than the K2s, but I think it's just the shape of the tips - they're a lot more pointy on the Heads.

I will be posting demo dates here.
Yes, they have more sidecut, mogulskiing is evolving and sidecut is a part of it. With the speeds that are being obtained in the courses the sidecut (and our construction) is working to an advantage. The F17 on the cutting edge as the premier mogul ski.
I am looking forward to testing out the F17, as well as any other bump ski I can find a demo for. I've got another year of working on my technique before picking my next pair. Hoping for a demo date at Killington late in the year next year...hint, hint. In the end I'll get whatever ski I find works best for me in the bumps, with consideration of price. Might be the F17, might be the super-straight Elan, might be another pair of K2s. Or something else. I'll be a little skeptical of the F17 going in, but open minded.

I just wish they were still making the Twister and Teneighty Mogul. According to my rough surveys, those had to be the two most popular bump skis out there. Popularity doesn't always mean best, but it counts for something.

drjeff

You know, I'm embarrassed to say, I'm not sure. I just knew I wanted them so I have my sights set on them.
I'll let you know when I get my facts and figures together.

One thing I know for sure, my ski quiver doesn't cost as much as my husband's dirtbike quiver. :smile:

And I'm sure you both have fun "negotiating" the purchase of quiver additions with each other ;)

Philpug

Look at MSRP's of most high end skis out there, we are not that much out of line. Where there is a difference in that the pricing of the F17 is more in line with race skis than bump skis because of the construction of htese skis. When competitors are breaking 2-3 pair of "other" mogul skis a season, we did not have ONE pair of F17's returned to us from all of the testers we had out on the skis out on the course last year. Yes, it might be a bit more than other mogul specific sksi, but it will be vastly superior in construction and will not break down. You wil get a ski that will last twice as long as other skis, therefore really is costing you half as much :)

I am looking forward to testing out the F17, as well as any other bump ski I can find a demo for. I've got another year of working on my technique before picking my next pair. Hoping for a demo date at Killington late in the year next year...hint, hint. In the end I'll get whatever ski I find works best for me in the bumps, with consideration of price. Might be the F17, might be the super-straight Elan, might be another pair of K2s. Or something else. I'll be a little skeptical of the F17 going in, but open minded.

Please have an open mind, I am confident you will be impressed.

drjeff

I will not admit nor deny that any such "negotiating" is carried out. :-D

Yup, good to see that it's not just in my house that such "negotiation tactics" get used by both parties with respect to potential toy quiver additions! ;)

And for whatever reason, my wife's "negotiating skills" seem to work at convincing me that she should add to her toy quiver:rolleyes: ;)

Greg

Staff member
You wil get a ski that will last twice as long as other skis, therefore really is costing you half as much :)

I'm nitpicking, but if the ski lasts twice as long, but costs twice as much, it's actually costing you the same...

Personally, I'm more interested in performance than reliability. I typically tire of skis and want to try different technology long before the skis break down.

I really like the wider shovel on the F17. I think that will make it more versatile on the rest of the mountain. What bindings do you recommend? Do you recommend altering the mounting point of the bindings in any way, i.e. I've seen recommendations for bump skis is to go 1-4 cm forward of the manufacturer's mounting line.