• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another gear thread....What do you have? What do you want?

Trekchick

I'm nitpicking, but if the ski lasts twice as long, but costs twice as much, it's actually costing you the same....
I was thinking the same thing when I read it, but I was trying not to pick on him(which pains me, because he makes it soooooo easy!!)..........Thanks for taking the lead!:lol:

Sadly, I think I know what he meant, which is that the ski will last 3-4X longer than most other bump skis because its built in the competition line up of Hart instead of the free skiing line up, as it is in most other ski mfgrs.
Thus, costing less in the long run, if you're killin it in the bumpfields, on a regular basis!

Philpug

I'm nitpicking, but if the ski lasts twice as long, but costs twice as much, it's actually costing you the same...

Personally, I'm more interested in performance than reliability. I typically tire of skis and want to try different technology long before the skis break down.

I really like the wider shovel on the F17. I think that will make it more versatile on the rest of the mountain. What bindings do you recommend? Do you recommend altering the mounting point of the bindings in any way, i.e. I've seen recommendations for bump skis is to go 1-4 cm forward of the manufacturer's mounting line.

Actually, my bad, our ski is also twice as good, therefore costing half as much ;).

As far as bindings, Look and Salomons are still really the binding of choice with this segment of skis. Mount point is such a personal preference.

jack97

Sadly, I think I know what he meant, which is that the ski will last 3-4X longer than most other bump skis because its built in the competition line up of Hart instead of the free skiing line up, as it is in most other ski mfgrs.
Thus, costing less in the long run, if you're killin it in the bumpfields, on a regular basis!

I think it cool that another ski manufacturer is adding a mogul ski to their product line instead of obsoleting one.

Having said that, here's the "yeah but"..... I do agree that the wider tip on the F17 will give that ski more versitily, so it may not be banging it in the bumps all day. It prolly kicks butt in the trees. However that's the problem, high end construction does not prevent core shots and deformed edges. Call me frugal but I can't see myself taking a $700 -$1000 ski into the trees, not in NE.

Greg

Staff member
Actually, my bad, our ski is also twice as good, therefore costing half as much ;).

Thanks for clarifying. ;)

As far as bindings, Look and Salomons are still really the binding of choice with this segment of skis. Mount point is such a personal preference.

So you've seen mounting points vary off the mark? What is the most common? On the mark? 1 cm forward?

I think it cool that another ski manufacturer is adding a mogul ski to their product line instead of obsoleting one.

Absolutely agreed. Anything that helps to bring attention to mogul skiing is a positive in my opinion. This is precisely why I hope Hart gets involved at some level with the Sundown bump comps.

Having said that, here's the "yeah but"..... I do agree that the wider tip on the F17 will give that ski more versitily, so it may not be banging it in the bumps all day. It prolly kicks butt in the trees. However that's the problem, high end construction does not prevent core shots and deformed edges. Call me frugal but I can't see myself taking a $700 -$1000 ski into the trees, not in NE.

All skis are rock skis, my brotha! ;) Seriously, I was thinking the same thing about the F17 being a good woods ski (not necessarily a powder day) or even just on ungroomed terrain that has not formed true zippers yet.

Trekchick

Yeah But...........wait until you try it!!!:spread:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Everyone's financial decisions vary, but if I won the lotto tomorrow, there's still NO WAY I'm paying over $500-$600 flat for a set of skis. I'll wait a couple of years and pick up a new pair of two year old skis for less.

That said, I wish Hart well with their introduction. The mogul segment can use more players and promotion of the discipline. I'm sure they'll be great as 'back in the day' most considered Hart some of the best mogul skis around. Glad to hear that they are making them more bomb proof to. That was an issue way back and why I went with a Rossi over Hart. The old honeycomb core tended to break down or so I was told.

jack97

.... I was thinking the same thing about the F17 being a good woods ski (not necessarily a powder day) or even just on ungroomed terrain that has not formed true zippers yet.

Rossi Mogul 101-66-01,Dynaster twister 98-66-85 and Sally 1080 95-66-82. Has enuf tip for the woods and to start new bumps.

If something happens to my twister, the next ski I might get is the Dragon Slayer 94-66-78 or the rossi.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Question on the binding mounting for you bump addics who have kept up with the times. Does a 1cm difference really make that much of a difference? Aren't we splitting hairs here?

drjeff

Question on the binding mounting for you bump addics who have kept up with the times. Does a 1cm difference really make that much of a difference? Aren't we splitting hairs here?

I think the answer might involve an "actual" difference vs. the perceived "mental" difference ;)

Philpug

Thanks for clarifying. ;)

1) So you've seen mounting points vary off the mark? What is the most common? On the mark? 1 cm forward?

2) bAbsolutely agreed. Anything that helps to bring attention to mogul skiing is a positive in my opinion. This is precisely why I hope Hart gets involved at some level with the Sundown bump comps.

3) All skis are rock skis, my brotha! ;) Seriously, I was thinking the same thing about the F17 being a good woods ski (not necessarily a powder day) or even just on ungroomed terrain that has not formed true zippers yet.

1)Let me talk to Patrick and Michael

2) I will do what I can, the week of the January event is when I will be in Vegas for SIA

3) It is a versatile bump ski. Paul Jones was tearing up the back country of Stowe on a pair.

I understand what people are saying about the shape. The same could have been said 5+ years ago about all mountain skis, powder skis and slalom skis. Did you think back then that all mountain skis would be 80-90mm in the waist? That powder skis would be 110+ underfoot? Did we think 15 years ago that slalom skis would by a 165? Gear is evolving with technique, construction and terrain. This is where mogul skis are headed. :spread:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the answer might involve an "actual" difference vs. the perceived "mental" difference ;)

that's what I'm thinking.

I sell certain private label products. Sometimes we run out of the label and use a generic one. Customers go nuts thinking it's no where near as good, even though its the exact same product.

I'd actually never be comfortable with going with something different than the factory mount. I would hate to half to re-drill a ski because I didn't like a bindings position.

jack97

In general, most mogul specific skis I've seen has the midline (for the binding position) brought more forward than all mtn and racing skis. Bringing it up another 1 cm from the midline might be splitting hairs but it seems to be a big diff in position compare to other types of skis.

Greg

Staff member
Does a 1cm difference really make that much of a difference? Aren't we splitting hairs here?

Probably not. Yes.

But it's the end of May so what else we gonna talk about...? :lol:

drjeff

Probably not. Yes.

But it's the end of May so what else we gonna talk about...? :lol:

Yup, my hunch is that most of the folks who actually COULD discern the difference with a 1cm forward binding mount and benefit from it, probably aren't buying their own skis, but get them given to them direct from the mfg.

madskier6

I'd actually never be comfortable with going with something different than the factory mount. I would hate to half to re-drill a ski because I didn't like a bindings position.

For some skis there is no one "factory mount". I don't know about mogul skis but for powder skis & twin tips, the manufacturer often marks "boot center" & "true center". If you're a park rat or you like to ride switch, you mount it on "true center".

I had to make this decision when I mounted my Volkl Gotamas this season. I mounted it on the back line because I am using these skis to float in powder & in the trees not to do tricks in the park or to ride switch. Then there are people who like it somehwere in between the 2 marks. There are pages & pages of threads on Epic & TGR discussing the pros & cons of where to mount these skis.

bvibert

Staff member
For some skis there is no one "factory mount". I don't know about mogul skis but for powder skis & twin tips, the manufacturer often marks "boot center" & "true center". If you're a park rat or you like to ride switch, you mount it on "true center".

I had to make this decision when I mounted my Volkl Gotamas this season. I mounted it on the back line because I am using these skis to float in powder & in the trees not to do tricks in the park or to ride switch. Then there are people who like it somehwere in between the 2 marks. There are pages & pages of threads on Epic & TGR discussing the pros & cons of where to mount these skis.

I like to mount one ski 'boot center' and the other 'true center', it helps keep things interesting.

On my Rossi Scratch BCs..there are two mountain points...standard and modern...I had mine mounted standard which is a hair farther back...I like to see alot of ski in front of me..but park rats would prefer modern or even..center mounted..for landing switch..

Trekchick

When I got my Bro's I did a bunch of research on mounting point. When it came down to it, Tyrone Shoelaces advised me to go 2mm(not cm, but mm!) forward. He said that I may not notice the difference but that tiny bit made a difference for him when he competes in big mountain competitions.

*Disclaimer: I will not be hucking the stuff he does, therefore the 2mm that he notices will not be noticed by the likes of me. :D

jack97

When I got my Bro's I did a bunch of research on mounting point. When it came down to it, Tyrone Shoelaces advised me to go 2mm(not cm, but mm!) forward. He said that I may not notice the difference but that tiny bit made a difference for him when he competes in big mountain competitions.

*Disclaimer: I will not be hucking the stuff he does, therefore the 2mm that he notices will not be noticed by the likes of me. :D

2mm :blink: :blink: That's .0787 inches or 1/12.7 inches. Some one's legs are being pulled.

Trekchick

Seriously, makes no difference to me, but to those who are jumping off cliffs and participating in Big Mountain Competitions, that is the difference between balance and AAAAAAACKKKK!