• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Haystack for 46 Under Sunny Blue Skies

una_dogger

May 25, 2008; 1:27pm. Arrival on top. Number 46. Having waited about 15 minutes just below the summit for MichaelJ, because I had promised I'd let him see me finish.

No wind, warm sun, blue skies, outstanding views in every direction. Jay summed it up best, "in the Adirondacks, all you see is mountains, mountains, and more mountains."

A long wait since October 2007 the right day. Believing I was leaving the best High Peak for last, I was not disappointed. About an hour spent lounging on the summit, sharing stories, smiles, and sunshine. Mountains are for sharing. A yummy Alligash White on the summit thanks to MichaelJ, a sweet new ADK 46er patch, thanks to Adam12! A nice touch.

In and out of the Garden we go with MichaelJ, Terra, Leaf, Adventurous, Allison, Jay, Prino, Jacko, Colden and friend.

12 wonderful hours in the forest, 18 miles of fresh air, fun times at the camground afterwards..thanks guys, it was a great day!

Good times, good times....life is good!

Pics may be found here:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EYuWzNs1bsO6&notag=1

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
It was an honor and a privilege to accompany Sabrina yesterday for her big finish. I tried to encourage her whenever possible to get up there, and the result was the thrill of watching her tear through the high peaks last summer and fall, taking advantage of every weekday off and especially the time "between" Vermont and Massachusetts. :)

It was a stellar weekend for her finish. We had an awesome campsite (thanks Adventurous!), great companions, simply perfect weather, trail conditions that even when requiring tricky navigation over deep snow managed to stay just this side of not bad at all, incredible views, and I learned the rush of "going for time" as I (yes, me!) suggested we try for a 12 hour time, including our summit lounging, and powered by glucose made it from JBL to the Garden in 1:10 for a 12:10 overall day. W00t!

Congratulations, una_dogger!!!! I'm damned proud of you. The 115 isn't very far in the future, either. :)

I took a ton of pictures and they are all geocoded and in my photo album, as well as a Google map.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
hpd - was your buddy part of the family (3 generations) that was staying at JBL and summitted the same time we did? Or was he one of the solo hikers we saw coming down while on our way up?