Finding Gary a new bike! - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    as far as finding a good shop goes, look for a place where the employees ride. THat's the kind of shop where the salesmen double as mechanics, and where they really know the bikes they're talking about, having probably built them themselves. Employees who ride can identify with what you're looking for in a bike, and are more likely to sell you the bike you want, instead of the bike they'll get the most credit for selling.

my photo site.
    Frigid Light.

Quote Originally Posted by davidhowland14 View Post
    as far as finding a good shop goes, look for a place where the employees ride. THat's the kind of shop where the salesmen double as mechanics, and where they really know the bikes they're talking about, having probably built them themselves. Employees who ride can identify with what you're looking for in a bike, and are more likely to sell you the bike you want, instead of the bike they'll get the most credit for selling.
    +1
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by davidhowland14 View Post
    This is not always the case. I know of several shops were everyone there rides and works on bikes, yet they treat customers who don't fit there image of a mountain biker like crap. I would ask on Crankfire like Bvibert suggested, or check out the CT forum on MTBR.com.

I am not sure how far you are from MA, but right over the Granby / suffield line in Southwick MA there is a great bike shop on rt 1-/202 called New England bike. The owner is a former proffesional down hill racer and a really good guy. They sell Kona, Transition & Specialized.

Based purely on geography, my local shop would be Cycle Fitness in Monroe. Assuming their website is accurate it would appear that the staff does indeed ride. http://www.cyclefitness.com/staff.htm

Iron Horse

I have been riding an iron horse for almost ten years. Its a great bike and when I bought it the company was not well known. It is a full suspension bike that I dont have any complaints about.

What I am getting at is Dicks now carries iron horse. I was dissapointed when I first noticed it then got to thinking. Dicks golf department has some pretty decent golfers working in it with all the tech. in the back to fit you properly.
    I asked an aquaintance of mine who owns a bike shop in keene valley and he is the one who pointed out that Dicks does have qualified people working at it and iron horse is a good brand.

I would check them out you will probably be able to get more bike for the money than a regular bike shop.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf67 View Post
    I have been riding an iron horse for almost ten years. Its a great bike and when I bought it the company was not well known. It is a full suspension bike that I dont have any complaints about.

What I am getting at is Dicks now carries iron horse. I was dissapointed when I first noticed it then got to thinking. Dicks golf department has some pretty decent golfers working in it with all the tech. in the back to fit you properly.
    I asked an aquaintance of mine who owns a bike shop in keene valley and he is the one who pointed out that Dicks does have qualified people working at it and iron horse is a good brand.

I would check them out you will probably be able to get more bike for the money than a regular bike shop.

Iron Hourse makes some really nice bikes, but stay away from the ones at any chain store. They are not the same quality you will find at a bike shop. The same applies to Mongoose. Most people think that Mongoose only makes low end bikes becuase that is all they see at the chain stores and Mongoose has gotten a bad rap for it. But the Mongoose bikes that are sold in bike shops are really nice.

If you find an Iron Horse bike you like (at a bike shop), check out www.jensonusa.com to see if they have the same bike. Jenson sells ALOT of Iron Horse bikes and in the summer they ussually have a HUGE Iron Horse clearance sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Iron Hourse makes some really nice bikes, but stay away from the ones at any chain store. They are not the same quality you will find at a bike shop. The same applies to Mongoose. Most people think that Mongoose only makes low end bikes becuase that is all they see at the chain stores and Mongoose has gotten a bad rap for it. But the Mongoose bikes that are sold in bike shops are really nice.
    what's the difference between those sold @ dicks vs. a bike shop? do they use lower quality components for the retailers?

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    what's the difference between those sold @ dicks vs. a bike shop? do they use lower quality components for the retailers?
    Typically.....Yes. Most bike brands have agreements in place that they will not sell the same bike in bike shops and big box stores. The low end stuff goes to the big box store and the better stuff to the bike shops. The exceptions to that rule seems to be high end out door sporting goods stores like REI and EMS

I know you are leary about buying a bike online.

But check out these two bikes and them compare the specs to bikes found in a bike shop for the same price. They won't be close!

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

edit - I know of guys that have bough complete bikes from Ibex just for the parts to put on there high end pricey frame. The specs and price are just that good!

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    I know you are leary about buying a bike online.

But check out these two bikes and them compare the specs to bikes found in a bike shop for the same price. They won't be close!

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

edit - I know of guys that have bough complete bikes from Ibex just for the parts to put on there high end pricey frame. The specs and price are just that good!
    thanks for the Ibex links, for the records, i'm not too leary about buying online. biggest concern is picking the size of the bike without physically being able to try it on.

Thread Information